Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 12:00   #31

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: How much is enough? Good size for a voyage boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoran View Post
For me I have a 38' boat that was to be my perfect cruising boat ( 2 year trip), however, for my wife it was not.
The boat just did not provide enough (easy) storage (clothes, food, etc.). The fear I had was that moving up a size to accommodate her needs would take away drastically from the cruising kitty. Fortunately we were able to find a boat that could be quickly paid off. We now have a 42' with a center cockpit and an aft stateroom. I am happy that she is now happy!
Bottom line, you need what you need.
May l rephrase, please?

You need what She wants
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 13:50   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

The size of a "big" depends on what size boat you currently have!
Old 20-06-2017, 14:34   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have been cruising for 9 years on a 39 foot Beneteau.

I would love a 50 footer.

People say such bulltwadxle but i can tell you a fact: in a 30 foot sea every foot counts. Looking at them waves in a 30 footer is much, much more character building than a 50 footer.

And my character dont need no building!

Mark
Couldn't agree more, size does matter. Having built an Endurance 37 (42' heavy displacement) and sailed her to Greece and back and now have a Jeanneau 37. There is no doubt in my mind, though the Jenneau is more comfortable the Endurance knocks spots off it in a rough seaway.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:54   #34

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Just think of Tanya Abby sailing around the world as a teenager in a twenty some odd foot boat, with absolutely no experience😁 Can you do it?
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:59   #35

Boat: F&C 40

I have circumnavigated in an 1978 IOR 12 meter,18k displacement adding 3+k for every thing needed. I personally would not want a bigger boat due to the upkeep and expense or a lighter displacement boat that would not carry every thing I need with out squatting 3-4" on its waterline.
djsaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 19:41   #36

One of the rare threads on here where everyone is right. How tall are you, how strong, can you afford the electrical winches that compensate for size until power fails?

I am a catamaran person. I went for beam or length. I don't have speed issues, it goes fast enough. Lots of space shallow draft. Great for cruising in shallow places. I will soon upgrade to a 39-43. The reason is more room for folks to join us aboard for a week or two here or there. It is more standing room, I am 6'2', current head room is about 5'9", not terrible but head knocking does happen.

The boat is not fully independent for power and water and would be perfect if I was 40...or maybe if the admiral was forty.

Rent a few, spend a lof weekend, see what fits.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 20:12   #37

Boat: Island Packet 349

The size significantly depends on your age and comfort level you are used to. Roughly, length in feet should approximate the age in years until or unless you cannot handle or afford a bigger boat.
Other factors include: number of cabins and heads desired, tankage, need for a washing machine, need for solar panels and generator, draft limitations, and so on.
I lived on a 34 foot boat by myself in my mid-forties a few weeks at a time for couple years alternating between a house and the boat. It was barely adequate. Now I am looking for a 40-45 footer for one person for full time cruising.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 22:37   #38

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

The Pardys did it in 2 boats, 1 24 feet the other one 29 feet. In 1 of their books they write that long term sailors prefer smaller boats because of less maintenance and cost.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 23:48   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
The Pardys did it in 2 boats, 1 24 feet the other one 29 feet. In 1 of their books they write that long term sailors prefer smaller boats because of less maintenance and cost.
The Pardys have some prejudices that show up in their writings, and the small boat meme is one of them. There are one hell of a lot of long term sailors in boats larger than those Lyn and Larry promote... Ann and I are examples!

This is not to say that small boats are not represented in the long term fleet, nor that such craft are not useful choices... just that their blanket statement as quoted above is misleading.

Jim
Old 21-06-2017, 07:17   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Average cruising boat size has crept up over the decades along with general affluence of cruisers. Much like average house sizes, the number of cars people own, the amount of tech tools (and toys) we all must have — today we all “need” more b/c we can afford more.

This rising level of comfort over time also becomes the new normal by which we judge how we must lead our lives. Most cruisers don’t change much when they go to sea. They take their life-lessons with them, so if they’ve lived in a large house, full of modern conveniences all their life, then that is what they will want/need on their cruising sailboat. It’s no wonder cats have become all the rage.

Boats are not bigger today b/c of the need for speed, or the need for greater living space. Boats are bigger today b/c most cruisers are richer. Nuthin’ wrong with that
Old 21-06-2017, 07:22   #41

Boat: no boat any more

dated but still a lot of it valid:
https://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Crui.../dp/0071580255

("too small=uncomfortable, too big=catastrophic [if you cannot afford the costs]")
Old 21-06-2017, 07:23   #42

Boat: no boat any more

dated, but a lot of it still valid:
https://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Crui.../dp/0071580255
Old 21-06-2017, 07:31   #43

Boat: Ovni 395

Well my 39ft boat has smaller interior than a modern Bavaria 36ft, and some people feel quite cramped inside
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 11:14   #44

Surprisingly my 36 footer at 18,000lbs (21,000+/- lbs fully loaded) feels a lot more stable than my friend's 46' 22,000lbs (25,000+ lbs loaded). His is a former racing machine which he'd redone as a liveaboard/cruiser but the hull shape, fin keel, etc are still of racing type. His boat in any sort of confused seas always feels tender. Even watching both of our moored/anchored boats from our favorite nearby island beach hangout one can clearly see his boat moving more squirely than mine. I would never think this would be the case until I saw it with my own eyes.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 11:38   #45

Over the 16 years we've owned our boat we've had several unsolicited offers that we considered but in the end we always decide no. We don't know what other boat we would rather have. At 61' it's a handful occasionally but has proven to be a good boat for us. As others have said there is no right answer.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, size