Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 20:42   #1

Boat: Custom
How Much Hassle Is it Really

Some of you have followed my boat buying antics over the last few years.

I am fussy I know!

I know what I like!

My admiral is convinced I have unrealistic expectations.

I like the older style, classic shaped monohull. They can be new, don't care but as a design they get my heart racing.

The beauty (and largely the problem) come from the beam not being taken all the way aft and as a result you end up with less stern and cockpit than a typical production boat. As a result you generally end up with only one quarter berth.

I have 2 young children, a boy and a girl, during the life of this boat they will be teenagers and therefore need separate sleeping accommodation.

If the admiral and I take the v berth and a child takes a quarter berth I am left with a child who is hot bunking in the saloon.

So how much hassle is this?

We aren't planning a world cruise but month long trips are not out of the question. Having said that 65% of our sailing would be day sailing.

So anyway, what say you? How much hassle is hot bunking really?

Thanks

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 20:56   #2

Re: How much hassle is it really

No problem at all. Overnight sails might present a problem with only the v-berth available for the off-watch parent....it's often uncomfortable at sea...but sleeping on the cabin sole is a good place while underway too...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 21:04   #3

It's a serious hassle, and the child will have no place aboard to call "hers".

There are a number of older double-quarter-berth racers which by modern designs would be considered cruisers. Their prices are lower, have a good turn of speed, and will make for beloved memories of month-long holiday cruises aboard rather than enforced confinement for weeks on end survivor traumas.

Keep in mind this is a transitional boat: don't go for the ultimate boat right now.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 21:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

It depends on how you as a family get along. Some teenagers are quite sure being stuck on a boat with your parents might just be the worst thing there is and no stateroom can be ever large enough. If you don't already enjoy being together I doubt you will on a boat.

It really isn't about the boat. It really is about the people. I know a family of 5 that sailed together for many many years on a 27 ft Sabre from toddlers to teen agers. They got along just fine and still do now that every one is a lot older and rasing their own families. Now with kids gone and retired they decided to get a Sabre 34.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 21:46   #5

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It depends on how you as a family get along. Some teenagers are quite sure being stuck on a boat with your parents might just be the worst thing there is and no stateroom can be ever large enough. If you don't already enjoy being together I doubt you will on a boat.

It really isn't about the boat. It really is about the people. I know a family of 5 that sailed together for many many years on a 27 ft Sabre from toddlers to teen agers. They got along just fine and still do now that every one is a lot older and rasing their own families. Now with kids gone and retired they decided to get a Sabre 34.
Reminds me of my childhood, we lived a 2 hour round trip by bus to school, the week after I left school, my parents purchased a house a 5 minute walk from the school! Not happy.

Anyway thanks everyone

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 03:00   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How Much Hassle Is it Really

Sounds pretty much the same as when I was a kid - We had 5 onboard (3 kids - 2 boys and a girl) for extended periods (a month or 2). 27 Foot boat. No aft cabin and no 1/4 berths. Parents in the Saloon (drop down table), 2 kids in the forecabin and me Brother in the cockpit (under canvas!)....that was mainly because he snored like a pig

In latter years dropped down to just the 2 boys, so I had the forecabin to self.

Private space? that was a drawer Obviously women changing needed to be accomadated (apparently not so keen on wandering around in only socks ), but that simply a matter of logistics.

How did it turn out? Early on very well , but in the latter (teenage) years I f#ggin hated being stuck on the goddam boat But I figure that is pretty normal - IMO any teenage kid happy to be stuck 24/7 away from the world / freinds has a few problems - or will have a few..........

The nightly changeover not really a problem (albeit we weren't making overnight passages). In your shoes I would look for Mum & Dad to claim the Saloon - and one kid at each end of the boat (probably the girl in the forecabin).......or buy a bigger boat
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote