I'm in Virginia riding out this storm on my boat at the dock
. It's not been so bad for me yet, but I prepped my boat pretty well prior to the storm. The problem is, not everybody did... and I wonder how much effort I should go too in order to save a boat from catastrophe, or damage.
A particular situation involves a boat at my marina, The owner comes almost every day to work on it, but really doesn't have much of a clue about boats. He's super nice, and I had thought he was trying to figure things out, but now I just don't know.
His boat has a huge amount of windage, and he had done a very poor job of tying it up for the storm, so another guy and I helped him. The marina gave him ropes to use and we also told him to immediately get some chafe protection on all the lines, I even pointed to where specifically he'd need it. This was Friday. I noticed he had moved some of the lines around after we helped him set up, but he has not touched the boat since.
Saturday afternoon and night, his boat had broken a post, and was stuck on top of it Sunday morning, causing it to list to one side as the tide dropped. Several of us worked to free the boat while the owner was called. He never came (lives 3 minutes away... and he could walk over). While working on freeing it, noticed his lines were chafed badly... no sign of any chafe protection. Naturally, the storm was only going to get worse.
There was no alternate method for moving the lines so they wouldn't chafe, and we didn't have anything available to protect them, so we let a little line out so atleast they'd chafe a new spot. The owner was called again. Here it is Monday afternoon, and he still hasn't been here.
I am pretty certain given the forecasts, that several of the lines will break soon. I know I could gather more lines, and at decent risk to myself, get on it, and add lines to take the load once the originals break. The boat is not a risk to me or my boat if she breaks free, and I don't think she'll break entirely free, but I do think there will be some damage to it and possibly the marina if it partially breaks free.
I've made my decision... but am interested to hear what others do in similar circumstances. Do you take the risk in the middle of a significant storm, or do you let the owner deal with the consequences of inaction?
As a side note, I have helped several neighbors with issues as I see them without them being around to even notice the issues. Things like tightening a line, putting a fender
board back in the right place, fix a piece of flapping canvas