Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 10:40   #31
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: How much does all your crap weigh?

Our boat settled about 2.5-3" when we loaded it up for cruising. I'm told an inch is worth 1,500 lb for the IP 380 (39.9' LOA, 32' LWL, 13.2' Beam). 2,300 lb was fuel and water, and I'd say the rest was about 2,200 lb in equipment, spares, food and personal stuff.
Old 23-03-2014, 10:53   #32

Boat: Tayana 52

I'm with you - we have a water maker and 2 x 100g water tanks, no jugs. The aft water tank is filled from the water maker while the ford one isn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I didn't mean to imply that we start with no water and just make what we need on the way. I meant to imply that we don't need to have completely full tanks and extra jugs of water lashed to the rails. The watermaker will supply 30 gallons in an hour, which provides us with comfortable choices on when to run it and how long.

My point is that something that is considered in this thread a frivolous weight addition (watermaker) can actually leave your boat lighter on passage (and at all times, actually) because you don't need to carry large heavy stores of water. Just leaving 50 gallons out of the tank or out of the jugs saves almost 500lbs! You would need to throw off a lot of gear and provisions to match that.

Mark
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 14:08   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I used to race a Heritage One Ton long ago. We installed a large dock box and stripped off enough extras to raise the WL by nearly three inches. We left heavy sails in the box on light air days. This made a huge difference competitively in the range of 0.1 to 0.2 knots. That said, for cruising, I could not care less about 0.2 K. The present boat is massive. I see extra weight more as effecting how quickly we reach steady state speed rather than how fast can we go.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 14:26   #34

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I reckon your original estimate is a bit light! On our 40fter with 2 people, and all the cruising gear about 1200KG, excluding fuel and water. But we do carry a LOT of tools and spares - more than most. And all the normal stuff. Island Time is unloaded now, and came up about 5-7 cm on her lines.....
Old 24-03-2014, 21:56   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Here's the formula for change in immersion with added load.

T = L*W/120 =[t/cm]
L*W = length (waterline) Xwidth (waterline), all in meters and decimal parts thereof [m*m]

Change in immersion
(Δ)dm = q/T [cm] q= added load in metric tons, T(cm) from formula above)

New immersion- dm,2 = dm,1 ± q/T*100 [immersion in meters and Load q in metric tons]

On our boat 12meters by 4 meters (I've just rounded off to make all this easier), adding 2 tons of load means:

T=12*4/120 = 48/120 = 0.4 (tons per centimeter of change in immersion)

2 tons therefore = 5 centimeters change in immersion
I've just revisited this thread...using 120 in the first line suggests a coefficient of fineness of about 8.33... sounds more like a VLCC than a yacht.

I think a CoF in the order of 0.6 would be more like it in the case of a yacht.

That would give in the example above ( 12 x 4 x 0.6 )/100 a TCPI of .288

So loading 288 kilos would sink the sample yacht by 1 cm. 2 tonnes would sink her 7 cms.
Still not a lot IMNSHO.
More info here for them as cares Stability

Anyone really wanting to know the waterplane area of their boat should use Simpson's Rules... Ship Stability for Masters and Mates - Bryan Barrass, Capt D R Derrett - Google Books
Old 25-03-2014, 01:38   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I've just revisited this thread...using 120 in the first line suggests a coefficient of fineness of about 8.33... sounds more like a VLCC than a yacht.

I think a CoF in the order of 0.6 would be more like it in the case of a yacht.

That would give in the example above ( 12 x 4 x 0.6 )/100 a TCPI of .288

So loading 288 kilos would sink the sample yacht by 1 cm. 2 tonnes would sink her 7 cms.
Still not a lot IMNSHO.
More info here for them as cares Stability

Anyone really wanting to know the waterplane area of their boat should use Simpson's Rules... Ship Stability for Masters and Mates - Bryan Barrass, Capt D R Derrett - Google Books
You're right, of course. The coefficient can be chnaged to suit the type of boat. The formula I put up is the one taught in the Danish Yachtmaster Ocean. Obviously, anyone who is serious baout htis, should try it empirically to find the correct coefficient for their own boat.

Noté the waterline, add weight until the boat displaces 1 more centimeter, use the formula backwards and find the coefficient.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote