Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2007, 14:52   #16

Boat: Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Apart from fish and rice there is tofu and beans, dried peas, freeze-dried sweet corn, crushed grains, pasta, dried soup sachets which can also double as stock for more adventurous swift meals and a basis for pasta saucees, and there are always the crustacea which abound in some reef areas--as well as oysters and clams--but that is getting back to the fish. Squid are plentiful and can be netted at night--but they tend to ink things up a bit.

I do not usually eat preserved meat afloat--fresh or frozen does me until it runs out--but one of my acquaintances used to make sun/wind dried salted meat and fish strips in flyproof drying racks and pack them in drypacks with salt. I have tasted soups and stews made with the dried meat and it is OK. He also makes his own sausage which he claims lasts for months without refrigeration--but I am not brave enough to eat the stuff although it is probably OK. Humidity and temperature can get a bit high where I sail.

Between beans and tofu--a soy bean derivative--I can sustain myself fairly well but nuts and dried fruit are handy--as well as a few plastic bags of dried full cream milk, which should be packed bag and all inside vermin-proof lockers or tins. I also eat oatmeal, raw or cooked, with milk. Yoghurt is best made with powdered milk--and one can buy the yoghurt culture as a powder which lasts quite a while--and once one has made up some, a sample of fresh yoghurt will also serve as a starter culture for the next batch--but each time it gets a tad more acid--so eventually one needs to go back to start another batch with powder. I mix dried fruit and nuts with my yoghurt--and fresh fruit can be cut up and added. Always add fruit to the finished yoghurt--do not put it in while it is being cultured.

Then there are coconuts--which our feel-good parks people are keen to destroy because they claim they are not native. Neither are the parks staff for the most part--. Anyway--I love the coconuts --uto is good--and coconut cream is easy to make and tastes good with fish or veges. Some seaweeds are edible as are some of the plants common by the seaside--notably the sow thistle which when young is chopped up and washed, then steamed. Tastes surprisingly good--lotsa iron--

I am not into eating turtles, sea snakes, dolphins or seagulls--but in a survival situation would have no hesitation in sinking the molars into anything edible.
Diet afloat can get boring--but a sense of adventure can bring some minor variations. Feral pigs exist in some places where they impact severely on the turtle population. These one would have to trap or shoot-and the meat would have to be bled immediately and chilled or dried and salted.

Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 19:18   #17

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
You can go online and go to Recipezaar: Where the World's Recipes Are , type in whatever type of fish you are interested in. Website has over 260,000 recipes. I'm sure you can find some there.

Formerly Santana
The winds blow true,The skies stay blue,
Everyday is a good day for SAILING!!!!
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 20:04   #18

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Cooked fish, fried, grilled or baked sliced into a tortilla. add the usual Mexican accompaniments refried beans, salsa, guacamole, onion,chopped cabbage etc.very good and can use leftover fish.
Corn torillas are inexpensive and last a good while W/O refrigeration

Fish fillets, seasoned and panfried, remove from pan add 1/3 each lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, white wine, and a couple of pats of butter, reduce, add the fish back to the pan to warm up, if you drank all the wine already just leave it out it.
set out the lines and good fishing!

stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: