Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 09:41   #1

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
How Loco Is this? Newbie Getting into Sailing . . .

As there is already a thread how crazy is this I opted for the loco question.

Well,you might have read that the dream of sharing a life and or boat with "love of my life" has capsized . What I am left with is a strange interest in boats due to the involvement with him.

But as I was saving my boat virginity for him to be the one to take me out on a boat I have no experience of sailboats .
I have been out on powerboats 50 miles off the coast of Belize ,loved it and am no scaredy cat when teh waters get rough . Did not like the powerboat noise .For now that is all I know plus am fascinated theroretically with the idea of sailboats and reading /learning as much as I can in theory.

I am reasonably handy if shown where things are and what they do.Example I am the only woman that I know who drove with hammer on her passenger seat,because she could not afford to replace the sticking solenoid on her alternator so I had to start it with a good bash to the alternator .

So here's the question

Budget : 35k Sea of Cortez on the doorstep , house selling within the next two- three months, no employment apart from some freelance work hopefully and will have to leave Mexico (visa etc) probably. Might get extension.
The idea: a bluewater boat for 20-25 K and 10 k to restore as a live aboard and later sail away .

I have been keeping a running total of boats that are blue water and there are two that caught my eye as an example

a 40 ft French built Van de Stadt design in steel at 29k but probably would sell for 25K as it has been on the market forever ( a lot of boat I know and why is such a lot of boat on the market this long, just a sign of the times or more...) Probably needs new standing rigging (more than ten years old) Been reading about galvanic corrosion,steel boats and Van de stadt design on different forums.

and a very cheap
33 ft Cutter rig Topper Hermanson boat of which I already know froma survey done that it needs welding in 25 places, but it is advertised at 8 k I would imagine it is way cheap to repair in Mexico, but that is a guess.Have not looked further into this yet

Sailing credentials none, was thinking I could get RYA course remotely and move nearer the sea for a while and crew / look for boats . But my time is limited to do that. From sale of the house I will probably only have 4 - 6 weeks to suss out if this is possible or if the dream needs to remain just that.

Theoretical navegation I have already studied as the "man of my life" was going through it, but would need to deepen knowledge.

What say you ? What would you recommend apart from sailing lessons, which I will take ? Bearing in mind that once I have a boat (if I do) I can concentrate on sailing literally all day coupled with freelance work to buy tortillas . What would it take to get this girl cruising and in what timeframe?

PS : I know bad timing as it is hurricane season by the time this should all go over. And no I am not running away to sea . Just thinking if not now then when.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's a good time to buy a boat, Adax. I had little experience sailing when I bought mine; I put my head down and dug in and learned the systems, hired a Captain to take me out and show me the ropes and then started to cruising. I think it is an individual thing though. It's not an approach that will work for everyone.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 09:55   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
for the van de stadt-- offer 20. if has been on market forever, may just take it-thenye have more money for fixing it up....tortillas are cheap and th corn ones are divine from the small tortillerias-- have fun and happy hunting....and good luck as well... if you are still ther e when i get souf, look me up--i will be in touch thru here.....i am spozed to eave here(sd) by mar1 to get to mazatlan-- from htere , i am not planned out--is flexible....cant offer rya classes but i can each ye to sail a tad, if you are interested in htat bit....hands on stuff....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:26   #4

Thank you Hummingway .I am tentative about this as it is out of my experience but I don't think out of my league. Your approach is what I have done in the past with other things in my life

Zee I would love to take you up on that offer if I am around still in Mexico that is . And thanks for the advice on the Van de Stadt.. It has caught my attention for a while now but am hesitant as it is a load of boat for a beginner but what a live aboard .
Old 24-01-2011, 11:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Thank you Hummingway .I am tentative about this as it is out of my experience but I don't think out of my league. Your approach is what I have done in the past with other things in my life

Zee I would love to take you up on that offer if I am around still in Mexico that is . And thanks for the advice on the Van de Stadt.. It has caught my attention for a while now but am hesitant as it is a load of boat for a beginner but what a live aboard .
And thats what you've got to focus on... are you up to maintaining a steel boat... having just browsed through your profile I don't doubt you've picked up a thing or two...
The sailing side is not 'Rocket Science'... all you need is to be in tune with your sense's and sensible enough to respond to them..
So the next thing is... do you want to live on it... if you do...
Go For It..
What's that old saying... 'Better to try and fail... than never to try at all...'
Only one person can chase your dream... if there's a 'helper' out there... he'll/she''ll find you... go with the "Karma..."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:21   #6

Thinking about what you said boatman. The Van de Stadt appeals for its solidness,the space and yes the price . By choice I would opt for a wooden boat ,the recognition of problems and maintenance seems more straightforward/self explanatory. And just the looks of them . I love Zee´s clipper for example and followed with interest her Mayday thread.

Follow the karma seems excellent advice .
Old 24-01-2011, 14:11   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Adax I don't know how old you are or any of that type of personal info but there are plenty of places where you could get a ride to learn to sail. Club Cruceros in La Paz Mexico is one. San Diego is another. Buy a handheld VHF and then participate in the morning nets and you will find a ride. Then if you like it buy a boat. You will have to be disciplined enough to not spend what you have in reserve to buy a boat. I sailed from SF to So Cal to Mexico to the Marquesas, Tuamotos, Tahiti, Bora bora, Cook Islands, New Zealand, and then Oz for free when I got out of college. It's worth a try.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 14:29   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As a general rule - never buy "used steel." The reason is normally they are being sold as the owner cannot maintain them anymore. So rust, electrolysis, etc. can eat away the inside of the boat and its stringers and bilge areas. Careful and thorough inspection of every square inch of "used steel" inside and outside is essential to avoid the all-to-common problem of having the rebuild the boat from the keel up due to rotten plates and stringers.
- - As with FC boats, in "used steel" there are gems out there to be found, but you need to be very careful and really know what to look for. Fiberglass on the other hand is a better risk for folks not into super-detailed examination of the prospective boat. Unfortunately, if you can only afford a "bargain" boat you can also not afford a seriously competent surveyor and go with a "bargain" surveyor.
- - So just be very careful and assume nothing about the condition of the boat until you really examine it thoroughly. Used boats do not come with "money-back" guarantees.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 14:33   #9

I am 46,but not set in my ways so can rough it . I would love to take up that suggestion as it would get me going.Trouble is I have a big dog I rescued from the street and I would not like to let her go unless I had someone I could trust ,which is not the case .If I could solve that,what you suggest would be an ideal interim .I will look into it .thanks.
Old 24-01-2011, 15:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I think one of the big things it to be sure you get a boat you can handle. If you are going to be sailing alone it should be rigged for solo sailing and of an appropriate size. You need to be able to handle the sails and the anchor. You also want to be sure you will be able to manage the maintenance.

If you are going to live aboard you need to be sure you're comfortable inside the boat and that it's equipped for it.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 17:45   #11

I am reading up on steel maintenance and pitfalls at the moment. I am not saying that this Van de Stadt is it , but it is a way of discarding what I want and don't want . As previously said wood maintenance seems a closer match but as this boat is well equipped I won't hold it being steel against it ,if that is all there is to it.
I have kept a list of all boats that I think would be suitable but merely as a technical exercise to see how much I understand about boats . Now I gotta look through and see what is really doable. I would like to live aboard but not in Mexico.I will do so however if that is the only option for now.

This is teh boat in question. I have not seen it or made more enquiries.
http://www.mazmarine.com/core/listin...ywo=mazmarine&

Hummingway,taking what you said on board.
Osiris ,my thoughts have touched on what you said . I have trouble believeing I could fincd a surveyor in Mexico that knows and will do a good job. I could be wrong but that is my gut feeling.
Old 24-01-2011, 18:17   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
I am 46,but not set in my ways so can rough it . I would love to take up that suggestion as it would get me going.Trouble is I have a big dog I rescued from the street and I would not like to let her go unless I had someone I could trust ,which is not the case .If I could solve that,what you suggest would be an ideal interim .I will look into it .thanks.
Know what you mean about the dog. I have two big dogs a Chesapeake and a Great Pyranese. It would be hard to hitch hike on a boat with one of them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 18:28   #13

Boat: Tartan 30
I was thinking the same thing as the others both with used steel and with size concerns... What about the option of starting small? You really don't need a steel boat unless you're heading into higher latitudes, and GRP boats are well beyond bluewater proven...

on the same token, what if you just got a lower priced 30-34 foot GRP boat that was easy to sail and comfy to live on? you could pick one up for 10-20K easy and spend the rest cruising around on your own, or find a nice place to set-up shop for a refit and further cruising plans.... You don't have to go all out... you could start small and still make it all work.

You could even start smaller, and leave yourself provision to upgrade in the future... example: get a $10k fiberglass 30 footer.... live on it, sail it around for a few months... all in all put about 5k into it and 5k into cruising... so a year later, you still have 15k to work with and tons of experience under your belt, a clear perception of what you want for the future and a clear head for making those decisions....

Just some thoughts... it's all doable though, your certainly not as loco as you might think
Old 24-01-2011, 18:28   #14

Don't underestimate the time it will take to fix-up any boat. That may adjust your time lines some. Make sure to get a good survey and make sure the boat you fix-up is a boat you want. Go for it if you can.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:01   #15

Callmecrazy and Ggreg,all points well taken. Size is not what attracts me to the boat .It is equipment and seemingly good condition. In fact size of it and why it has been on the market for so long are the main things that count against it in my mind.
I do have others worth looking at, but I need to sort through them and today the head has still been foggy and the eyes misty.
I will post a new thread with my possibles in the next couple of days.They come in all sizes and materials.

Tags
sailing