Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-05-2007, 22:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
As I think about it there is probably a lot to be said about boat design. Many of the bigger boats I see people cruising on around here have higher booms, taller cabins and bigger windows. Of course they all open allowing the breezes to circulate.

One more thing to consider when buying a cruising vessel, I suppose.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 22:34   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
I don't have A/C in my house here in Hawaii so I definitely won't need it on my boat when I finally get it back in the water. We're at 19 degrees North latitude.
JohnL

Old 10-05-2007, 22:35   #18

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - "GAIA"
We are having AC installed on our new cat. We may never use it, but at least it's there.... because it's a bugger to try and install it afterwards. Put it this way... it will be nice having it if we really need it on a killer of a day. I would think that the ocean breeze will suffice 99% of the time.
Old 10-05-2007, 22:54   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
My dear wife is not a born sailor. She tends towards sea sickness, is so fair-skinned that she has to either avoid the sun entirely or sheep-dip herself in SPF 200, and finds her comfortable temp range to be 68-78 F.

In Diva's refit (we're in Year Five, god help me) I will be installing many items most sailors consider outrageous luxuries and power hogs, including 9K generator, Engel freezer, Splendide washer/dryer, home-style entertainment system, and two a-c units totalling 48K btu of cooling power. I'll also be stringing up enough Sunbrella above decks to sail the boat if we're ever dismasted. As Capt. Bean said so eloquently above, we may never use this stuff 99% of the time, but if that 1% keeps my Admiral happier with the concept of going sailing, than it will turn out to be worth every penny.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48   #20

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Oh yeah, now I get it. AC stands for Admirals Comfort. Makes sense to me. Thank God for my admirable Admiral.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22   #21

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I have an AC but hardly use it.

When I purchased my boat many years ago, it had an AC central unit already installed. I didn't even try turning it on for a couple years and didn't even know if it worked because the sea water pump was inop and would not pump water to cool the system. I decided to buy a new sea water pump and to my amazement the air conditioner blows freezing cold air. I have it hard wired into my electrical system including my diesel generator that I installed. It's a trade off of being cool and listening to the generater make noise and burn fuel or have peace and quiet and direct breezes into the boat. I rarely ever use the air conditioner but it is a nice option on very hot humid days.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
I don't have A/C in my house here in Hawaii so I definitely won't need it on my boat when I finally get it back in the water. We're at 19 degrees North latitude.
JohnL
Aloha John. We lived in Hawaii for two years and loved it. We were in Koaka Loop in Aiea. Didn't use a bit of A/C. Hawaii has perfect weather! We loved it and we miss it. You are truly blessed to live there.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:49   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Dan,
My wife and I lived on Oahu for many years before moving to the Big Island, windward side. I believe Koaka Loop in Aiea has a few condo buildings? My memory is not that great. Anyway, I lived in the Chief's Quarters at Pearl Harbor for awhile and on my boat at the Marina in Pearl Harbor for another while.
Now we're on the Big Island, even cooler than Aiea. Less traffic, less people, less noise. 120" of rain in Hilo a year but perfect weather most the time.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22   #24

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
Fat Guys need AC. Has anyone thought of using or used a Port-a-cool from northern hydraulics. I was in the store the other day and they were demoing it, they say that it will lower the temp about 20 degree's lower that surrounding temp's I used one in Fort Bliss back in the early 70"s and it did help cool. It seems like you could use a raw water pump to pump water from the depths (which is generally cooler than surface temp) just a thought. I tried too link the unit. Couldn't make it work.

Keith

http://www.port-a-cool.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Evaporative cooling works pretty well in low humidity so it's great in all the places you really don't need it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:53   #26

Boat: She 31
Hi everybody, first post of the new boy.

I've sailed a boat in Turkey regularly, which has a/c. Trouble is you have to run the generator as well and to be honest it's more fuss than it's worth as everybody wanted to be out on deck and swimming it's just an unnecessary amount of weight and maintenance. The boat had it fitted because of it's charter work. If your not looking to charter the boat and it's just for your own use then I would spend the money on a good bimini so you can find shade from the sun whilst helming or lazing around the cockpit.
Old 03-06-2007, 16:17   #27
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I wonder if one of those small window uinits 8000btu-that draw about 8 amps could be run off your inverter wile the engine is running charging the batterys?
Old 03-06-2007, 20:36   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I wonder if one of those small window units 8000 BTU's that draw about 8 amps could be run off your inverter wile the engine is running charging the batteries?
We have had this discussion here many times. 8,000 BTU's isn't much cooling unless it's just one cabin and you have AC volts all day long. The inverter might work but you are using DC to make AC then have to recharge it back in DC. It is way more than 8 amps DC. My fridge is only 5 amps. 8,000 BTU's is a lot of amps in DC volts. 8 amps AC is more like 80 amps in 12 volts DC. DC to AC costs about 15% in wasted energy. Once you shut off the engine it warms up pretty darn fast even after dark unless you have cooled the hull and all the contents too.

I'm not aware of anyone that runs A/C off an inverter. You have to pay the piper in the morning or the beer gets warm. 12 volt fans do work well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 22:09   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
I saw an ad for something that would probably work fairly well in our northern climates with cold water and hot summers, but I wonder if it would be worth the power expended for the slightly cooler air it could produce in the tropics.

It basically was a radiator, picture an espar hydronic heater's radiator with a fan. A small water pump, and a hose that you drop under the boat, I believe that it was about 30', I don't know if they were trying to get out of surface warmed water or maybe in some places below a thermocline. Pump the seawater through the radiator, blow cooler air through the cabin. Considerably less power than AC.

Anybody ever try this?

John
Old 04-06-2007, 01:53   #30

In the topics you need air conditioning. There are many nights when the wind drops to nothing and the heat and humidity is very high plus you have mosquito screens.
I have bought one of the new Inverter type air conditioners which has a soft start and at 9000 btu's it only uses 600 watts (Panasonic make the most efficient one) Once the insulated cabin is cooled, the power drain drops tp 200-300 watts.
I have a 3000 watt inverter and a 800 amp/hour battery AGM battery pack.
For recharge I use a 13 hp Honda driving a 200 amp alternator.
I will only use the air con at night and it will be set cool (not cold) mainly to remove the high humidity.

The boat is almost completed, would you belive the whole aluminium shell finished in two weeks.
I will let you all know how it works out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: