Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2007, 12:07   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
This was discussed a bit in the following threads as well. But leaned more towards the boat's themself being off-shore.

Light vs Heavy boats

Pocket/Coastal/Bluewater Cruisers....oh my!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ater-8971.html

There are many more but these should get you on the track..................._/)

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 12:25   #17

Oh, man, Im sorry, Gord. I mean I tried to keep you out of it, but ..........
Well, I told my wife that shes a brown water sailor and your name sort of came up. So, she really wants to talk to you - something about a piece of her mind. And, well ............ Im outa here.

Old 17-09-2007, 12:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
... Well, I told my wife that she’s a brown water sailor and your name sort of came up. So, she really wants to talk to you - something about a piece of her mind...
Tell the admiral, for me, that there's no disgrace in being a “brown water” sailor, nor even in being a “brown britches” sailor. I’ve happily been both.

Mind, if she’s willing to share a piece of her mind with me, I could certainly use the help.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 13:01   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
My concept of the terms is,
Sheltered waters=you may or maynot be within a harbour, but you have the ability to duck somewhere for cover should the weather force you to do so. You would normaly be able to call on other boaters to help in an emergency. VHF and the uses of flares would be your primary source of contact in an emergency as other boaters should be (within reason) close by.
coastal=you are semi-on your own. You have to battle the elements that are dished upto you, as shelter from weather maybe a few hrs away. However, help is not too far away if you run into trouble. VHF is usually an inrange form of communication and the use of parachute type flares woudl be required. EPIRB would also be helpful.
offshore=you are on your own for sometime should help be required and requirements would be seriouse. You have to exhaust all personal possiblities or dealing with the situation. If help is called for, it will most likely be via EPIRB or SSB. VHF will be out of range. Thus initial contact(plane perhaps) maybe 24hrs away and help (ship)maybe twice that at the minimum. You won't be getting off your boat anytime soon, so you have to survive and deal with the situation at hand, till help arrives.

This is my personal view, nothing above is official that I know of.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 13:05   #20

Boat: Shopping for it.
I wanna be offshore.
Old 17-09-2007, 14:15   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
My insurance company defines it as 50 miles. All else is coastal.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 17:42   #22

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
This is an interesting topic and I agree, a bit of a misnomer. The worst pounding my old sailboat took in three years of cruising was on a passage from Samoa to Fiji, but the next three worst were: 1)at anchor in Ras Banas in the Red Sea 2)La Paz to Mazatlan, and 3) within 20 miles of the Oregon coast. Open water is open water.
Old 17-09-2007, 18:24   #23
cruiser

And Jay (the original poster) thought he was asking a "newbie" question...

See... you are already asking questions that stump everyone on here.
Old 17-09-2007, 18:54   #24

The answer is ... you know it when your there... and there is no one near by to tell you otherwise. hahaha

jef
sv shiva
Old 17-09-2007, 19:46   #25

Wow, I ask what I thought was a simple question, leave for a day, and come back to find as many answers as I'd like to choose from! =;)

I think my main reason for wondering was kind of along these lines -- if I get a "coastal cruiser" to get some sailing experience, does that really limit me to where I could go. Because while I understand you can at least try to go anywhere in any boat, I'd rather be at least somewhat responsible - especially with my family on board.

I was reading somewhere (can't find it now) about a stretch of coastline in WA or OR where someone said you should stay about 100 miles offshore. 100 miles?! To me that sounds like you'd be in the middle of the freaking ocean! =:)

Thanks for the answers, everyone. Even with such diversity I think it helps me understand a little better.

Jay Jennings
Old 17-09-2007, 20:24   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
I think it's all really a moot point.

You could be rounding cape horn to windward and be closer to land than you have a right to be or the pacific ocean at 1 degree north totally becalmed. Which one is coastal cruising and which one is bluewater cruising?

The passion comes around our defining our boats and ourselves.

Blue water boats - Cool, this is really the boat "real" sailors have. Your plastic mass produced boat is definitely not a blue water boat and I wouldn't take it out of San Diego harbor.

But aren't we really trying to define some sort of ruggedness factor? There are probably an "infinite" number of variations on design. I doubt there is a line across which blue water boat exists and all others are bathtub boats.

Bluewater sailors - These are the heroes of sailing - LOL. My view is simple. Never stop learning. The more experience you get in different conditions the better you can adapt to a similar but different condition in the future. Building self reliance is also in this category. If you drop your boat at the marina for an oil change because you don't know how to do it, you probably aren't ready for 12 weeks at sea.

Now put these two in combination - A good boat can help an inexperienced sailor and an experienced sailor can certainly help a weaker boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 20:52   #27

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Definitions??

Coastal - You can still see land
Offshore - Water, water everwhere............

Fair winds

Steve
Old 17-09-2007, 21:05   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You are never more than five miles from the nearest land. Unfortunately, when you cross an ocean, the nearest land may be several miles beneath your keel.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 00:42   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
if I get a "coastal cruiser"
Arrrhh, hang about, Totaly different question. A coastal Cruiser and an offshore vessel are a little more easily defined.....I think....A coastal cruiser is short duration journying. Harbour to harbour type situations. You are not having to take equipment and food for a long passage, so storage is not so much an issue. You don't have to worry about self preservation till help arrives and help is not that far usually. So equipment requirements are no where near the same as for an Offshore vessel. Offshore maybe still in view of land, but there maybe no where to go if in need of shelter and the distances maybe vast and there maybe no one to call upon for help.
However, you main question is, will a coastal vessel limit you where you can go. Simple answer is no! And given the right boat, many vessels considered coastal, could also be eventually set up as Offshore.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 01:11   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
This discussion has been had a couple of times before so maybe a new tack would be interesting. I don't intend to define off-shore or coastal cruising but a subjective way to measure different boats.

Assumptions -

1/ With equal sailors weather and sea state are the single biggest factors in a boat's ability to safely transport passengers and crew. Since the Beaufort scale is widely accepted let's use that as the weather and sea state scales.

2/ For a given navigable water the probability of being in higher scale Beaufort weather increases with time. For example - 24 hours from safe harbor is a lot different than 2 hours from sae harbor.

3/ It is fairly easy to find out the probability of being in high beaufort scale weather for a given area. This can be used to determine if I need a higher capability boat or more frequently have to sit on shore to wait out weather.

First the cruising area is ranked and the most probable weather is determined.

Then say the boat has a ranking of High, Medium or Low. The ranking is an indication of the boats ability to weather a given scale.

Here's how it might work out for me.

Cruising Area - Singapore and surrounding waters - 80%. Straits of Mallaca, Langkawi, and Phuket - 10%. South China Sea during "easy" months, Tioman and surrounding isalnds - 10%

Max Sea State expected & probability - 7 & low (South China Sea)
Average Sea State expected and probability - 4 (Straits and Surrounding waters)
Comments - Typhoons are seasonal, fairly slow developing and predictable = easy to avoid.

Maxi 77 Ranking for above = High capability

So how does your boat rank for your cruising assumptions?

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: