Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 15:14   #1

How Does One Become Professional Crew ?

As in on a private yacht? In a certain part of the world?

I apologize if this isn't in the right section.

Basically I just finished crewing on a boat all the way to the Atlantic side of the Canal from Aruba and I think I want to do it as a career. I think this was probably the single greatest thing i've ever done in my life and I miss it so much... I worked as a translator (somewhat guide lol) and crew. I want to work solely out of the Caribbean Central/South America due to the fact that I am a professional translator by trade.

So my question is, I know there have to be some pretty decent sized yachts or any private yachts willing to pay, floating around looking for crew with experience. How does one find a career on one of these? What exactly is the process? or is it just luck?
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.
Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender.
It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."

-The Iron Code of Druss-
Llamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 15:26   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Welcome.
Getting a US Certificate of Competence, ask GordMay what the right one is. That proves you've done the course, not that you've learnt anything.
Get yourself a hardback notebook and record each and every trip you do, the skipper's name, and his signature and contact fetails, etc. Gradually you'll have enough for people to reckon you've learnt enough, done enough to take a chance on. A full set of passport stamps are a great help too, especially when they agree with your Crew Log Book.
Or apply to the Charter Companies and get some experience, references and a bit of pay.
Make yourself useful to all and sundry and some one will point you out when a good crew man is needed.
Old 27-05-2010, 15:29   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Without experience or certification it would be difficult. Ypu will need to take certification courses to become a deck hand. Most crew have international certification; courses are available in the US and elsewhere. It will be along climb to get to a position of status. Licensing in bneeded for officer, mechanic, etc. You could be a chef - but again you would need training. Plus its not the best job in the world to crew, most crew are young people from New Zealand or Australia in my experience.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 16:03   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
This site and several like them exist

Crewfinders Job Placement for Yacht Crew

there are all sorts of positions available, some require experience others do not. As a rule of thumb you'll start on the smaller lower paying boats and work your way up to the taj mahal of the sea
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 18:35   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Be prepared to be treated as a non-person by the owner and their guests.

If you can accept being treated like a second class citizen and realize they are paying you and you are going to exotic places on their dime....that will help your attitude.

Screen your Captains Carefully......won't say anything more about that.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 19:03   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
You need:
- the papers (licenses, ITCWs, endorsements, etc.)
- experience.

You also need languages and personality. Many jobs are on foreign flagged boats. Personality needs no comment.

Then you sign up with a crew agency and they place you. Later you mostly follow your links.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 21:13   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Get a resume together (one page maximum) along with some references and submit them to the crew agencies. They'll want a photo so make sure it's as professional as possible (no tank-tops, mullets, beards, black eyes,...). Some places like Smallwoods, Liquid Blue, and other Ft. Lauderdale companies have folders where you can stuff your resume. These places do it as a service and don't collect a placement fee. For some owners, this is where they send the Captain.

Most agencies are either in Ft. Lauderdale of Antibes but I've gotten jobs from places in Canada and other parts of Europe. Some crew agencies have summer offices in the Med but are homebased in South Florida. If you've got friends in Antibes or the Med, see if they can pass your resume along.

Depending on your location, you need to be where the boats are. This time of year they're either in the Med or New England. If you're in the Caribbean, you'll be way behind the job market. In the winter, the big spot is the Caribbean.

Do the research and find out where the boats go. The Triton and Dockwalk are two better than average BWB/crew mags/newspapers that you should join and check out. Know where the boats dock and the general route they follow (St. Barths, Antigua, St. Martin, etc).

The boats will be back in South Florida in September/October and in the Caribbean around Thanksgiving. Crew rotation and replacement will take place in South Florida and you need to be where the boats are. The majority of crew hire takes place in South Florida.

Why? Simply because I can hire you as a day worker and in a couple hours/day find out if you're a fit for a position. I don't have to pay to have you flown in, don't have to wonder if you're the right size for the clothes the last crew member wore, and your're physically fit and drug free.

Make sure your papers are in order. That means a passport that won't expire for at least a year and that you know the routine and regulations for getting a visa for any port in the Caribbean (where you seem to want to work). Get a physical and drug test - they'll be required. Be prepared to get your STCW '95. It's not a "requirement" but I know very few Captains who'll hire without one or will pay for you to get it. Given the choice between 2 equally qualified candidates, I'll grab the STCW '95 one every time.

Be prepared to jump on a plane at a moments notice. Chances are the job openings will come - and they can close in a few hours. Being out of the cruising/charter area will be a real hindrance unless you've got something special to offer.

No tatoos. No piercings. No beards. No jewelry other than a discrete chain around the neck or wedding ring. Be honest on the resume.

The more things you bring to the boat the better the chances of being hired. Special expertise can get charters and charters make money for the owner and crew. Linguistics, SCUBA, massage therapy, Pilates, watercraft instructor, windsurfer instructor, above average fisherman, kick-butt bartender, and such can move you from the big stack to the stack that I'm going to show the department head and probably call.

If you've got other questions, pm me and I'll try to answer the questions. It can be a fantastic way to make a paycheck, do some great traveling, and have some incredible experiences.

Good luck.
Old 28-05-2010, 21:23   #8

sweet! thanks for the responses.

pm's sent shortly
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.
Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender.
It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."

-The Iron Code of Druss-
Llamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 22:39   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving
Elite Crew International Inc.

Crewfinders Job Placement for Yacht Crew

CrewUnlimited.com - Professional Crew Placement - Yacht Charter Marketing & Brokerage Firm - Crew For Yachts - Jobs For Crew - Yacht Crew Agencies - Yachts For Charter

The Triton | Nautical news for the marine industry, yachts, captains and crew.

Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Superyacht Captains And Superyacht Crew - Home

these will get you going. The triton is a nautical newspaper and online publication for the yachting community.

The above agencies do not charge a fee to the crew, the fee is paid for by the owner of the boat

best of luck
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote