Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 05:52   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

Strange to me how sailors can sit around drinking beer and endlessly telling stories about thrilling sailing adventures in 10 ft seas and 25 mph winds and then turn into little old ladies when they are under power in a channel or asleep in their bunks 50' off the ICW.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 05:53   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There is a counterpoint to the consensus above that a greater distance is best. The closer the pass, the less duration of the wake. A close pass often results in two quick waves, while you can be rolling through many more waves for a longer period of time for a more distant pass. I much rather turn into a quick short event after a close pass. I typically request that overtaking power vessels maintain their speed when they inquire by VHF when overtaking.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:03   #18

Smile Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The passing boat comes off plane directly astern of the slower boat, quartering his wake to either side. At the same time, the boat being passed goes into neutral, greatly slowing down.
The overtaking boat then passes at his best displacement speed.
As soon as he is past, the passed boat turns into the passing boat’s wake, and both resume their former speeds.

It doesn't hurt for the slower boat to indicate that he will be going into neutral, upon the faster boats approach & radio contact.
I think that's the ticket when you are in any sort of a confined waterway. Where space permits, more distance is better. And I totally agree with keeping it way down for anchored/moored boats.

And by the way, I think all this applied no matter what kind of boat you are passing or waking in an anchorage. Rude is rude, and a wake will toss all kinds of boats around.

From a sailor, now in a power boat.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 06:13   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

All due respect Gord, the overtaken vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed, the overtaking vessel is supposed to keep clear until well past. With regards to the wake, be courteous and reduce your wake when overtaking, you know your vessel and what kind of a wake you throw at what speed, so do your best to not bounce people around too much, if you can.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:22   #20

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
When I'm sleeping aboard, please slow to 1/2 a knot, turn down the Van Halen, put the Morning Bud Light in the cute little foam thingy that says World's Greatest Boater so it doesn't bang around loudy, and whisper as you pass at 300 yards. If I'm underway, anything goes as long as you don't hit me.
Thanks.
Wow that about sums it up. At least we are beyond generalizations here at CF.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 06:39   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Yes, thanks for asking. Simple... Call on the VHF and ask . I normally ask you to maintain your speed. As a frequent ICW traveler in the later months we have limited daylight. Add up all the passing and I can loose an hour or two and that can be a lot for a slow boat. I missed the Sisters Island bridge (and had to wait 2 hours) last year by 3 min. after slowing for 5 trawlers who slowed all the way down to 3 knots! They could not make a wake at flank speed but ignored my pleas to throttle up. It was only when I started to pass them again did they get it. Must have been a "Rag bagger" in a earlier life.

If the passing boat cannot see your name MAKE A SIGN and hang it on the dink in the davits so they can call you by name. " aaaah... This is _____ calling the white sailboat on the ICW" On high power this could be anyone within 20 miles!

You want a slow pass? Do it like Gordy says. I think the power boaters are normally more polite than the blow boaters... if you answer them.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 06:41   #22

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter

Assuming "far away" isn't an option (like along much of the ICW), sailboat should slow to bare steerageway and powerboat to 2-4 knots more than the sailboat when they are a few boatlengths apart. This allows powerboat to get by relatively quickly while still allowing sailboat adequate control to turn into the wake as powerboat passes (and powerboat should hit the gas as soon as past so sailboat can turn into wake). Nothing worse than slowing the sailboat and having the powerboat blast by! When approaching from ahead, powerboat should slow to minimize wake, whatever speed that is for that boat....generally pretty fast or pretty slow, but not in the middle. Have seen many slow to high displacement speed with stern dug in which is significantly worse than going by on a plane. Basically, take a look behind you and think. Thanks for asking.

Speaking of asking, heard a sailboat (man's voice) on ICW a few years ago ask the powerboat to blast by and leave a huge wake as a test. Watched spreaders almost hit water as boat rolled. Heard woman's voice come on and say "Well, we won't ask for that again".
Old 29-09-2011, 06:53   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

A radio call by the overtaking vessel is just common courtesy. It also enhances the safety of the situation and removes doubts about the others intentions.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:56   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Strange to me how sailors can sit around drinking beer and endlessly telling stories about thrilling sailing adventures in 10 ft seas and 25 mph winds and then turn into little old ladies when they are under power in a channel or asleep in their bunks 50' off the ICW.

You're right. I should be eagerly awaiting the jerk who's going to come through an anchorage and flip my dinner to the floor.

I wouldn't be cooking in a storm.

Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 06:58   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
All due respect Gord, the overtaken vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed, the overtaking vessel is supposed to keep clear until well past. With regards to the wake, be courteous and reduce your wake when overtaking, you know your vessel and what kind of a wake you throw at what speed, so do your best to not bounce people around too much, if you can.

I agree. If you have a big, powerful boat, tolerate the fact that some of us picked relatively easy-to-roll-around sailboats, and pass us in the way that's courteous for your boat. Please don't flip my dinner to the floor.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:09   #26

First thing is to learn your own boat's behavior, wake wise. Watch your wake vs speed and determine at what speed is your wake at MINIMUM. Use that speed for passing ,crossing ,etc. It ain't rocket science!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Well you just identified yourself as one of the inconsiderate. Big seas and big winds are not the issue but having you keel slamed into the sea/river bed by a passing motor boat at full noise is not nice and could be very expensive.
Oh and have you ever noticed how slow and well behaved the power boaters become in the anchorages when the coast guard are around.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 07:57   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Across to bow is always better.
I disagree. Strongly.

If I'm sailing and you cross my bow, you rob me of speed. Even though my boat displaces 15 tons, 5 of which is in lead ballast, in light air I've had large powerboats stop me dead in the water with their wakes.

If you pass behind me, your wake propels me faster.

Think of it this way: if I'm moving forward at eight knots, and your wake is traveling at ten knots, if you pass before me my relative speed crashing into the wake is 18 knots. If you pass behind me, however, the relative speed of the wake overtaking me is only two knots.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:17   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

My boat has a down east lobster boat hull. My idle speed is between 4 and 5 knots and I make minimum wake at that speed. If I have to pass another boat in close quarters I need to go a knot or two faster than the boat I'm over taking. If the overtaken boat is going along at seven or eight knots and I have to go faster than that, I'm going to be pulling a pretty big wake. The slower the overtaken vessel is going, the less wake I'll make when passing. The point being that the overtaken vessel has some control over how big a wake I'll be making as I pass. In open water it's no problem, I don't come close to other boats. This applies to all boats, wether they have a big stick on them or not. My boat has soft chines and if a big wake hits her just wrong, she'll roll the fillings out of your teeth.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:32   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

The Miami way:

In the Dinner Key Channel (quite narrow in some place) power boat in general have a very peculiar way of passing you.
More than once I have seen a power boat arriving full speed.... and a few yards behind my stern dropping her speed and coming along very slowly.. and then , just when they are at my bow level: full speed again !!! With nice hellos and smiles.............!!!

I would have rather the contrary

Tags
power boat