Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 16:38   #61

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: How Do You Like Being Overtaken by a Power Boat ?

But even though the rules say that Sailing vessels don't normally use sound signals, There no reason why you could not sound the danger signal. Every one is allowed to sound the danger signal... And log the signal in case it goes to a court of law.
Along with the name of the transgressing vessel.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:47   #62

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
But even though the rules say that Sailing vessels don't normally use sound signals, There no reason why you could not sound the danger signal. Every one is allowed to sound the danger signal... And log the signal in case it goes to a court of law.
Along with the name of the transgressing vessel.
Where in the rules does it say that sailboats don't use sound signals????...I thought every vessel operating under inland rules SHALL use a sound signal (or by radio) when within 1/2 mile of one another ...yeah right

We even say in the boating safety class I teach..ahhh don't worry about sound signals as no one in NJ uses them...and only some of the times on the real intracoastal!!!!

Sailboats SHOULD be the ones using sound signal...heck they are the only ones that can hear them anyway!!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 23:15   #63

Boat: Bollard 50' Sea Fever Motor Sailer
Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Go on... 'fess up. You're not really a power boater are you...

I am both!
I love to sail everything from small skiffs to ocean cruisers and currently skipper a 43 Mariner flybridge cruiser with a dry weight of 22 ton that throws off a "surfable" wake at anything over four knots.
Without sounding like a "suck up" my theory is "Do unto other as you would have done unto you".
I am not in a race, so in tight quarters I slow down and get to look at all the other people enjoying their day as much as I am.
The only drawback to my "first do no harm" attitude is that I get a tired arm from waving back to other appreciative boaters.
We don't own the water, people, we just use it! Regards. Shiner
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:01   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As I posted before, I am not usually troubled by the wakes of overtaking power vessels, but I do see a very commonly repeated mistake. Frequently the operator of an overtaking vessel will pass slowly with a minimum wake until they have just moved slightly ahead of my vessel; then, they throtle up to full and create their largest wake at the exact point where I am arriving. Earlier at the same pass they slowed before arriving at my beam and left a very clam wake at a place that I already left behind.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
As I posted before, I am not usually troubled by the wakes of overtaking power vessels, but I do see a very commonly repeated mistake. Frequently the operator of an overtaking vessel will pass slowly with a minimum wake until they have just moved slightly ahead of my vessel; then, they throotle up to full and create their largest wake at the exact point where I am arriving. Earlier at the same pass they slowed before arriving at my beam and left a very clam wake at a place that I already left behind.
That's why so many suggest the slow down by the slower boat...I know painful...but....otherwise the passing takes painfully long if the passing vessels wake increases dramaticlly as it tries to adjust to several knots faster than the passed boat.

Granted you may already know this...as may some other posters...but too many big power vessels go from a 2 foot wake to a 5 foot wake in just those few knots...having run plenty of 40-60 foot power vessels on deliveries....
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43   #66

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Do what you can to minimize the wake, especially in light air. Nothing worse than just getting going and having the air spill out of the sails because I'm rocking like a kid's toy. (Well, of course, there are lots of things that are worse .... I'm just exaggerating for the sake of effect.)

But my chief wish is that powerboats would manoeuvre early, so I don't have to worry about whether a) the skipper has seen me and b) knows the rules.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:48   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Do what you can to minimize the wake, especially in light air. Nothing worse than just getting going and having the air spill out of the sails because I'm rocking like a kid's toy. (Well, of course, there are lots of things that are worse .... I'm just exaggerating for the sake of effect.)

But my chief wish is that powerboats would manoeuvre early, so I don't have to worry about whether a) the skipper has seen me and b) knows the rules.

Connemara
I think the main thrust of the discussion is in a tight passing situations where manuevering really isn't the issue...it's HOW you pass close aboard and the rules just say agree on the side...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:21   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's why so many suggest the slow down by the slower boat................
You would think that slowing would prevent this problem, but even if we slow drastically many passing vessels will not account for even a slow progress and throtle up at our bow. Even a very slow progress will move us into their greater wake. I think many operators don't distingusih between passing a stationary object and a moving vessel. Most often I'd rather the overtaking vessel maintain their speed with a close pass and I'll take the quick spank.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:13   #69

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Well, sailboats going faster than my powerboat don't make adjustments to reduce their wakes. Same for commercial boats such as tugs except for 37-knot ferries which place some distance from me.

'Bout the only time the size of my wake is an issue is in very narrow channels or adjacent to very-low-freeboard craft like kayaks. While many personal watercraft search for large wakes, they are dissappointed with mine.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:07   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
You would think that slowing would prevent this problem, but even if we slow drastically many passing vessels will not account for even a slow progress and throtle up at our bow. Even a very slow progress will move us into their greater wake. I think many operators don't distingusih between passing a stationary object and a moving vessel. Most often I'd rather the overtaking vessel maintain their speed with a close pass and I'll take the quick spank.
I see your point but if the pass is in a narrow area I think many turn into the dead zone where there is less or no wake.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36   #71

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I'm a slow trawler and big wakes kill me. Before you attempt to pass, please call me on the VHF or give me a one or two whistle to let me know your intent so I can take evasive measures. If we are in open water, please give me a very wide berth (like 1/4 mile), and keep your speed.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:56   #72
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
A probability good reason to carry paint ball guns. Or larger caliber, like a potato gun.

Yeah that's going to make things on the water better ............ a bunch of sailor's rage.
Old 09-10-2011, 16:12   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It is comical when fellow boaters complain about wakes that aren't much worse than what seas they would see on an open stretch of ICW...

Sure it's a little more uncomfortable when the wake is on the beam...but hardly dangerous if you have your boat reasonably secured for sea.

Yes... big powerboats should give room if staying on plane or plowing...more than a hundred feet or so and the wakes diminish substantially..... or the powerboat if passing closer should follow the neutral and go routine IF the sailboat/trawler follows the lead (which many times they don't).
I agree totally.
"Call me on the vhf letting me know your intent"?? You're kidding right? The intent is obvious from a couple of miles away, if you keep your eyes open. You're gonna need to learn to take the potted plants off the table and put the crystal wine glasses in storage. dont like waves? a condo on the water is nice.... sorry, i must have got up on the wrong side of bed... but....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:22   #74

Boat: Silverton 42

So much for consensus on wake etiquette
So if in a 'narrow' pass (say about a half mile wide) that does not have much current but a fair bit of traffic so that if boats are well spaced out but all about 60 -100 yards of each other (mid pass) I slow down to overtake in the middle and the sailboat in front of me does nothing except keeps to his speed and course. Do I take the 3-5 minutes to pass him at displacement speed or do I say scr*w him, and put the hammer down?
Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 18:05   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
................. and the sailboat in front of me does nothing except keeps to his speed and course. Do I take the 3-5 minutes to pass him at displacement speed or do I say scr*w him, and put the hammer down?
Cheers,
Bill
No, there's never a need to be polite in a manner that requires that long a pass! If someone does not slow for a gentle pass, then a speed that allows for a twenty second pass is no less than polite if an attempt has been made by VHF to offer a slow pass.

Tags
power boat