Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00   #46

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: How Do You Like Being Overtaken by a Power Boat ?

At the risk of bringing upon myself a bit of wrath...If you build your house in a flood plain you lose the right to complain when flooded, and if you choose to have a boat, well...wakes, tides, winds, inconsiderate people, heat, cold, cramped spaces, dampness, and bugs are just a part of it, yes?

If I switched to neutral for every damned power boat that passed, I'd never get anywhere! If you powerboaters see a tiny little Westsail 28 named Clementine poking along in front of you, please feel free to maintain speed cuz I aint slowing down.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25   #47

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
If you powerboaters see a tiny little Westsail 28 named Clementine poking along in front of you, please feel free to maintain speed cuz I aint slowing down.
So you won't slow your Westsnail down from, like 2 knots to 1.9. Ha ha sorry that was a cheap shot. Sorry sorry, I couldn't help it.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28   #48

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
So you won't slow your Westsnail down from, like 2 knots to 1.9. Ha ha sorry that was a cheap shot. Sorry sorry, I couldn't help it.
Ha Ha I should have seen it coming. Thanks for the laugh!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30   #49

Boat: Looking for a new boat

You were pitching underhand. I actually love the Westsail 28, beautiful boat.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:01   #50
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Bill, to be honest, I don't like being overtaken by a powerboat period - if I'm in on my powerboat. Then we have an unofficial race.

On my sailboat - well, I don't care because no mater what, I can't win the race. As far as wakes, I'm with Bash. My catamaran doesn't notice wakes from the stern at all. If I have to cross one in front, I'll try for a 90 degree cut if its large.
Old 02-10-2011, 17:42   #51

Boat: Traditional 30

wow. At a 90% crossin angle, I would prefer the OP keeps his speed up and pass 50mtrs aft. Certainly not forward. Its not possible for a stink boater to really control his wake when passing at opposing angles (eg him heading nth, me heading sth) other than to come to an almost dead stop for a longer period.

Offshore, there is so much searoom that a stink boater should be able to drive as fast as he wants and never really affect a sailboat by wake. Inshore, now thats where courtesy is required.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:20   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That's the proper way to pass. You should stop your engine when the power boat is on your transom.
Putting full speed just in front of me is the proper way
First notice for me after decades sailing!!!!
when the power boat is behind me I don't care about her wake, but when she is in front of me ............. !!!!!!!
Don't you think so

And my sailboat going 4 to 5 knots in the channel has to stop engine??? LOL
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26   #53

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

If I am in a jovial mood when cruising on the ICW at 6knts and a sport boat comes on the radio to warn me he is about to pass, I reply " Dude, nobody passes the Eileen Farrell"
Sometimes I get a chuckle, sometimes no.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:41   #54

Last year going down the ICW we met a couple on a cat that had mentioned when a power boat comes up from a stern have then maintain speed and pass close by. So as we did this the first few times we learned a lot. Our sailboat is 36 ft. What I will do is if I can see the powerboat in time and see what type of wake his bow is making. If it is something as a sport fisher where the bow produces a large spray I will ask him to slow down a bit then come in close to us. Which at times we get are you sure. We will say yes. But usually we would rather have them maintain there speed. As Captforce replied eailer we found it was better to have most power boats come close to us as we would then hop there wake by turning slightly into it. Up and over and it was done. Only one wake to deal with. They lost little speed and we got to maintain our 6 kts. No rocking nor bitching from either end. Many power boaters actually commented that other sailboats should do the same. Everyone I know is different but we now would rather have them pass close by if are on a confined waterway. A few actually thought they were going to hit us they were that close but we knew our boat and how it handled. So for us it is a boat by boat process.
mutualfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:56   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Oh and have you ever noticed how slow and well behaved the power boaters become in the anchorages when the coast guard are around.
Power boaters in the places I have cruised are almost always well behaved. The bigger the boat, generally the more considerate the behavior, too, for some reason.

To the OP:

As others have said, thanks for asking.

As others have answered, a short radio conversation is really useful.

The practice followed by powerboats in my neighborhood is to come off plane a couple of boatlengths behind the sailboat and proceed past at a reasonably brisk displacement speed. Seems like a sound way to do it to me.

As others have said, one should be really carefully about wakes near anchorages. At low tide, a wake can result in keels hitting the bottom - not good. This applies to sailboats as well as power boats -- perhaps no one noticed, but sailboats make wakes too!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12   #56

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

When I was working on the Oil field boats, and passing tugs pushing ahead. I passed them at about one knot faster then they are going. As long as there is no traffic coming toward us, I take my time... You have to remember that We are not on a freeway and don't have to whip around the vessel you are passing. Take your time and do a safe slow passing. Unfortinately many power boaters seem to think that they are on a freeway and want to whip around any slower vessel without any thought to safety or anything else... except maybe for their martini or beer.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:40   #57

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

"The bigger the boat, generally the more considerate the behavior, too, for some reason."

Except Bayliners...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:46   #58

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
"The bigger the boat, generally the more considerate the behavior, too, for some reason."

Except Bayliners...
And some big sailboaters who LIKE to think they own the waters even when they are in clear violation of the COLREGS....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:04   #59

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And some big sailboaters who LIKE to think they own the waters even when they are in clear violation of the COLREGS....
Agreed! A couple of months ago, I was crewing on a friend's Dragonfly 35.
We were cooking along on a port tack in pretty good breeze when a sailboat under power with no sails up closed on a collision course from our port side.
We had a full main and a cruising spinnaker up with about 15 knots apparent.
The other boat motoring dead down wind obviously saw us, but didn't change course although we kept expecting him to do so.
At the last minute, the owner and helmsman turned to port, flogging the chute as we couldn't sheet fast enough.

( If I had been at the helm, I would have turned down to starboard and drag raced that numbnut! )

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:25   #60

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Agreed! A couple of months ago, I was crewing on a friend's Dragonfly 35.
We were cooking along on a port tack in pretty good breeze when a sailboat under power with no sails up closed on a collision course from our port side.
We had a full main and a cruising spinnaker up with about 15 knots apparent.
The other boat motoring dead down wind obviously saw us, but didn't change course although we kept expecting him to do so.
At the last minute, the owner and helmsman turned to port, flogging the chute as we couldn't sheet fast enough.

( If I had been at the helm, I would have turned down to starboard and drag raced that numbnut! )
A probability good reason to carry paint ball guns. Or larger caliber, like a potato gun.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat