Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:15   #1

How do you get experience on various monohulls??

Every Forum and every sailor states that you should get sailing experience on the sailboats that you have narrowed your search to or are considering to buy. Without spending your life savings on bareboat charters, how can you get this experience. Many of the sailboats I am interested in are not even available in charter fleets. Does anyone have suggestions for this first time sailboat buyer??

FYI; I am looking for a 38-44 foot coastal cruiser (heavy enough for blue water sailing). I want a boat that can be single handed with two cabins and saloon. Any help would be appreciated.
mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 19:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: How do you get experience on various monohulls??

Try looking for crew positions. Lots of opporunitiies if you look around, are willing to work and have the time. One example, every spring there is an exodus of boats from southern areas to the northern US and Canada. Every fall the pilgrimage goes back the other way. Lots of people looking for an extra hand to help them make the trip.

Check this forum and others, put your name out, hang around marinas, post your name on the local bulletin board. May not get to pick and choose specific every specific brand and model you want to try but can get a good bit of ocean experience that way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44   #3

Join a sailing club. You'll crew on a range of vessels on race days - or race weekends for longer races - from dinghies to the big fellas.

There would also be a cruising group at the club offering further opportunities for the experience you're after.

Apart from that, many choose to buy small and cheap and work their way up as experience builds.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you get experience on various monohulls??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
Every Forum and every sailor states that you should get sailing experience on the sailboats that you have narrowed your search to or are considering to buy. Without spending your life savings on bareboat charters, how can you get this experience. Many of the sailboats I am interested in are not even available in charter fleets. Does anyone have suggestions for this first time sailboat buyer??

FYI; I am looking for a 38-44 foot coastal cruiser (heavy enough for blue water sailing). I want a boat that can be single handed with two cabins and saloon. Any help would be appreciated.
Misunderstanding here methinks....
I've never heard any sailor say you should get sailing experience on any boats you are considering buying before you look at them...
What I think you'll find is the bulk of us advocate you take the boat out with the owner for a 'Test Sail' to see if you like the way she handles... spot any potential downsides to the set up and the motion down below...
is it sharp and jerky, slams a lot, or the smooth comfortable ride that is essential when passage making so you arrive relatively fresh and not haggard and drawn from lack of decent sleep.
You would not buy a car without a test drive...
hell in the past I've even asked for a couple of hours alone in apartments I've considered renting just to get a 'Feel'...
Thats whats important....
never buy a boat for its 'Brand Name' alone...
or because someone else advocates it....
a boat sould be bought through the heart and the belly....
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55   #5

I think you may have misunderstood my post-The object is to get experience on the TYPE of boat I am considering so as to be able to refine my search with experience on that particular make, model and length. Of course one should always do a sea trial on the boat you are looking at to buy, but there is no guarantee of wind or weather conditions on the date of a sea trial so experience on the boat you actually consider BUYING is (as you say) often largely based on emotion and a good survey.
mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
I think you may have misunderstood my post-The object is to get experience on the TYPE of boat I am considering so as to be able to refine my search with experience on that particular make, model and length. Of course one should always do a sea trial on the boat you are looking at to buy, but there is no guarantee of wind or weather conditions on the date of a sea trial so experience on the boat you actually consider BUYING is (as you say) often largely based on emotion and a good survey.
Well, that's what I thought so repeat my previous suggestions. Also, if there is a type or brand of particular interest there are owners groups for lots of boats including various Pearson models, Hunters, Freedoms, Catalinas, etc.

One example, if you are interested in a Pearson 424 (which by the way I think would meet your stated requirements) there's an owners group for that. Join the group, make friends and you will certainly find an opportunity to sail on one of the boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:25   #7

Procrastination is the thief of time. If you like everything else about the boat, and it's a well-known production number and so easily resellable, then go ahead and get it. A few pleasant sailing days won't tell you much, nor probably a loyal owners' group - but a year will reveal everything, warts and all. In short, there's no cheap way out of experience imho.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:39   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions for this first time sailboat buyer??
By a much smaller, cheaper boat that you can try and learn on for a few years. You'll then know what you like and what you want when you move up to a bigger, more expensive boat.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:42   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i ran away from home to sail opb, but i already had mine-- i sailed a lot of boats in my life and i enjoyed many of them and hated many of them--isnt easy to get experience or time on board-- but do find folks who have boats an sail with them --even on bad days if they want to sail then. sailing clubs and such have many folks wanting to sail and can be if good use.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:38   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Why?

But why do you want the experience?

There's a wide range of experience that owners of the larger boats have. Most of it comes from time and the School of Hard Knocks.

As examples: if you just want to park your boat in a marina and drink cocktails as the sun goes down not a lot of experience is needed, if you're happy to stick to sheltered water and good weather, if you have a group of experienced friends who will crew for you, or plan to pay a professional then again, not a lot of experience is needed.

Or, if you've plenty of time, a sheltered environment and money is not an overwhelming concern then you could buy a nice cream puff, putter round in good weather for a few years, and when the whim strikes, leave... Only problem could be the dockside doomsayers who are never going to go anywhere.

So, what are your plans, your dreams, your needs, your wants.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote