Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-09-2013, 16:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Re: How do you feel about FOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
I totally agree, I think the OP was referring to entering after being on a passage, designated anchorages is the key, throwing the hook in anything but may well create a nav hazard , but being a vessel then-- restricted in its ability to manoeuvre -- ! How would this stand in a legal stand point re col regs ? I'm only asking for some guidance , not being argumentative
In most harbors it is illegal to anchor in anything but a designated anchorage. It is always illegal to anchor in a designated channel. In most harbors if you anchor outside of a designated anchorage not only are you breaking the law but you will be found at fault should there be a collision.

A vessel at anchor has a different status from a vessel that is restricted in its ability to maneuver (RAM). A RAM vessel is underway (not securely connected to the Earth in any way) and cannot necessarily maneuver well enough to avoid a collision. A RAM vessel also may or may not be making way (moving through the water).

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

In Maine the biggest issue was the lobster boats. They apparently don't believe if fog horns, are wood so don't reflect radar well, don't carry radar reflectors, and don't use their running lights in fog, but at least they use dry stack muffler (that last word apparently being intended as humerous) which can be heard at some distance.

The built in fog horn function in my Standard Horizon is a very nice feature, but apparently people in new england don't sound fog signals on private vessels. The only ones I ever heard other than my own were on Ferries even though we passed numerous power and sail vessels in 1/4 mile or less visibility. Radar is a wonderful thing as I used it to avoid many other boats. Most other boats moving in the fog appeared to have radar as well. I do have a nice radar reflector hung in the rigging as well.

Old 15-09-2013, 16:35   #18

But is it a vessel not under command ..... I thought not if you are on board, ....... I think I need to go read some more col regs.Most approaches are outside of port by laws so not sure how anchoring in general would stand if you felt it was the safest option? Again just asking ?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:45   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: How do you feel about FOG?

These days with GPS and CP's etc life is a lot simpler for the small boat sailor in the UK...
But back in the 'good ole days' when I've been in sight of land and known my position its follow the contour lines into an safe anchorage area... that is.. out of the way of traffic..
On one occasion returning from Alderney I had to 180 when I heard gulls calling from cliffs... I knew roughly where I was/should be... somewhere between Durlston and Lulworth Cove... but that being a 'Race' area did not really want to hang about to long it being 'Springs'..
So I gave the CG a shout... they were only to happy to fill a boring night triangulating on my VHF and guiding me round to Studland and a safe anchorage... took 3 hrs but they got us there... that was a real peasouper as well... 20metre's and less

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:55   #20

Boat: Hunter 40 Legend

markpierce
Why do you run your chartplotter in "North up" mode and your radar in "Head up" mode? Kinda confusing isn't it?
Old 15-09-2013, 17:00   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
markpierce
Why do you run your chartplotter in "North up" mode and your radar in "Head up" mode? Kinda confusing isn't it?
I can handle it.
Old 15-09-2013, 18:08   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

All good replies folks, I tend to agree with almost all. When I was a kid I was given a 26 ft sloop that was very capable for its size. I was young/immortal did lots of sorry maneuvers. Now my boat draws 6 ft and handles like an old schooner and she means alot to me. I don't mind pushing a bit if the traffic is not insane. I just need to be sure I have it nailed. I could not see past the foredeck..ended up next to a mighty alu cutter (70ft) named Thor in Roche Harbor...dropped a pile of chain and apologized for being so close and waited. He was waiting as well.
I run my plotter in north up, the update rate is better..radar in course up.
Old 15-09-2013, 18:22   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Just returned from several weeks out. Had to make several very restricted entrances in zero zero conditions... Even with decent electronics it was quite the pucker factor...we have ROCKS up here. I kinda felt it was pushing my comfort zone. Just curious how others feel about it and how you set your limits.

It is rarely an issue here, and weather-predictable. One doesn't have to be out in fog here.

However, not where you are, and not up around Maine, etc. If I sailed in a fog-prone area, I would have radar. Period, end of paragraph. I might have other aids as well, but I would have radar ... and if it failed, I suspect I might need multiple changes of clothing ...
Old 15-09-2013, 18:24   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I agree, not fog. I start calling it for when it gets like it is in this photo. This was taken underway in Maine last week. There is a boat in this picture about 150 feet away. Can you see it?

Just barely, and only because you said so -- about 1/4 of the way from the left edge of the photo?
Old 15-09-2013, 18:56   #25

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Fog never prevented me from going someplace.... check my user name.

My major concern in my prior boat that lacked radar was bumping into another boat. I still remember a trip from Newport, RI to Buzzard's Bay when we crossed a substantial wake where a boat must have passed within a few minutes of our being there. Our boat had a good radar reflector mounted half way up the mast, we blew our air horns at very frequent intervals. The boat that crossed our bow is still a mystery even though I believe he must have been aware of us. The only electronic navigation tool we had back then was Loran. Remember those time lines?

Today we have radar. It provides enormous help seeing others nearby. AND SLOW SPEED IS A MUST! And add GPS to help.

We have friends that think the end of the world is near every time a fog occurs. We avoid doing foolish things while on the water and with fog, we observe greater diligence.

Foggy
Old 15-09-2013, 19:00   #26

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I agree, not fog. I start calling it for when it gets like it is in this photo. This was taken underway in Maine last week. There is a boat in this picture about 150 feet away. Can you see it?

YEAH, and how about the lobster traps!
Old 15-09-2013, 19:11   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In most harbors it is illegal to anchor in anything but a designated anchorage. It is always illegal to anchor in a designated channel. In most harbors if you anchor outside of a designated anchorage not only are you breaking the law but you will be found at fault should there be a collision.
DAvid, I'm confused by your statement quoted above. Where is the regulation that you are referencing shown? I was of the opinion that one could anchor anywhere that it was not prohibited... channels are such an area, and various "no anchoring" zones gazetted on charts or in Sailing Directions.

There are damn few designated anchorages around, and lots of anchored boats, so there is a disconnect here. Please elaborate on your statement.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-09-2013, 19:28   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
markpierce
That's how I prefer it as well. It's not confusing at all for me. It might be because I am old school where the radars I used back in the 70's never had a gyro or magnetic compass input in order to make it North up. Heading up is what I am used to. Electronic charts came later which are somewhat analogous to paper charts which are North up. So North up with charts is what I am used to. With radar overlay on electronic charts I prefer North up.

Old 15-09-2013, 19:33   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That's how I prefer it as well. It's not confusing at all for me. It might be because I am old school where the radars I used back in the 70's never had a gyro or magnetic compass input in order to make it North up. Heading up is what I am used to. Electronic charts came later which are somewhat analogous to paper charts which are North up. So North up with charts is what I am used to. With radar overlay on electronic charts I prefer North up.

A paper chart is only North up if you hold it that way ...

i prefer the paper chart north up and my GPS course up. Go figger ...
Old 15-09-2013, 19:39   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
A paper chart is only North up if you hold it that way ...
The print is oriented north up, except for some small boat charts which may not be.

Tags
fog

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: