Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How long do you need to fly your spinnake to to take the trouble to put it up
less than 1 hour, if I can fly it I do 11 23.91%
at least 1 hour 14 30.43%
1-2 hours 4 8.70%
2-3 hours 6 13.04%
3-4 hours 5 10.87%
4+ hours 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 14:58   #16
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: How do you decide when to fly your spinnaker

Based on my personal observation I'm not believing the poll results so far at all.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:28   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I love Spinnaker sailing.

As I got older, I like changing sails less and less. As a single hander 98% of the time, I use a lightish oversize and tend to just let that do what it can.

I like the look of the parasailor. But not sure I would be bothered to use it.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 19:56   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ann and I do fly our kinda big masthead symmetrical now and then. Not as often as we used to do, but then we're getting bloody old. Our criteria are f/c for <15 kts, aft of the beam, and reasonable sea state. Managing the takedown of the socked kite (about 60 feet long) when there is a lot of rolling is getting harder for me. The actual sailing is easy...

We had a good run for a few hours off the NSW coast in April, coming up from Tassie. In the right conditions, the difference between white sails and the kite is nothing short of astonishing... lots of fun, and the boat loves it!

One use for a spinnaker is to encourage a big increment in wind speed. Seems so frequent that we go to all the trouble to get it out and rigged and the wind pipes up to an unusable velocity... which for us is more than ~15 apparent.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-07-2015, 20:28   #19

Ya age does have a big effect. Years ago I would fly a chute every chance I could get but now not so much. We flew it for 2-1/2 days on the Atlantic crossing when the winds got on the lighter side, made a big difference.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:12   #20

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

For me,it s easier to rig my asymetric spi (from the stocking sleave...i think ATN made) ,than to have conflict of the main and genova for downwind sailing. I do it alone within 10min,including the bridle ...My spi is not large and I keep it till 20 knots wind. I experiensed 12,6 sog , just with spi,on my cat riding the Atlantic
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:12   #21

All the time!

http://youtu.be/sXeLk0UBt2w
Old 03-07-2015, 15:03   #22

Boat: Beneteau 473

Sent it up on the way out of the anchorage just this morning. Turned a mediocre 7-9 kt wind day into a thrill. It used to take us 30-45 minutes to set it up. Now we've done it often enough that it's ready to go in 10-15 minutes. We've had it up about once a week this season. Will probably fly it more as the summer winds subside. Always worth it!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435960726.753414.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	104621
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 19:00   #23

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Jon, was the murdered sailor you spoke of Milan from Canada.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:11   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Our parasailor is easy to handle and fast to rig so we use it for most downwind sailing for more than a few hours. Even for 1 hr trips if it's rigged from the last passage, but short hops like that we are more likely to just use just the jib. Last overnighter from Antigua to BVIs we started out with white sails but soon became bored with the light wind and beam swell so dropped the sailed and hoisted the parasailor. Much more comfortable and faster ride, easier to keep watch and relax. Unfortunately the extra speed meant we arrived well before dawn and had to float around for a bit waiting for the sun to come up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1436019040.233716.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	104653
Sephina and Larrikin breaking the start
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:46   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have an AS but I find it flies best from the pole. Pole is on the mast with a winch to lower the mast end. The kite stays in its bag below deck and is hoisted with the ATN snuffer through a forward hatch. The sail is too heavy to drag on deck even for two of us. We use a power winch to raise. Once set, the ATN is raised and with luck, no hockles. It takes around 20 minutes to raise & set and conditions need to be pretty light. It needs to come down if the apparent is above about 12 or the two of us are in trouble.

Last season, we added a light weight code zero also with ATN. It is hoisted the same way but is much easier to manage.

If we had experienced crew, we could be more gutsy. I raced for many years with 8 to 12 good crew. Hoisting a chicken chute in 30 knots was not an issue.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:51   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Our parasailor is easy to handle and fast to rig so we use it for most downwind sailing for more than a few hours. Even for 1 hr trips if it's rigged from the last passage, but short hops like that we are more likely to just use just the jib. Last overnighter from Antigua to BVIs we started out with white sails but soon became bored with the light wind and beam swell so dropped the sailed and hoisted the parasailor. Much more comfortable and faster ride, easier to keep watch and relax. Unfortunately the extra speed meant we arrived well before dawn and had to float around for a bit waiting for the sun to come up.
Attachment 104653
In your experience then, a Parasailor works really well on a multihull?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:00   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
In your experience then, a Parasailor works really well on a multihull?

Yes weavis. It's the only way to fly We haven't used a standard chute though to compare, but the PS is very stable and comfortable wind range for us is 8-25kn TWS. We do fly it in stronger winds sometimes and managed to drop it ok in 37kn of cold night wind once, but I'd re come d dropping it before 30kn to be comfortable. Jen and I handle it easily.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes weavis. It's the only way to fly We haven't used a standard chute though to compare, but the PS is very stable and comfortable wind range for us is 8-25kn TWS. We do fly it in stronger winds sometimes and managed to drop it ok in 37kn of cold night wind once, but I'd re come d dropping it before 30kn to be comfortable. Jen and I handle it easily.
Thanks for that. I think its a reasonably priced sail for what it is, but was put off by observing 2 monohullers struggling with the sail and one even dragging it under the front of his vessel and ripping it.

In saying that, in conversation with the sailor in question, my opinion is that he is as thick as 2 short planks so ..........

My hesitations were around whether or not they would be 'easy' to manage on a multi, and whether they are effective. You answered that.

Man they do look beautiful when up....... you would almost want to get off onto another boat to view it.......
Old 04-07-2015, 12:18   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Attachment 104653
Ha, obviously photoshopped...there is a current thread that has difinitively stated that cats never sail ! ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:44   #30
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I finally flew my asymmetrical this weekend and it turned what was a 3 knot sail into a 5-7 knot one. Since I wasn't going anywhere really I also played around with flying it closer into the wind and it did pretty good on a close reach. I think I definitely am going to try to use it more often in different conditions other that broad reaching as I think I can get more use out of it.

Tags
spinnaker