Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 16:56   #76

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: How Do You Anchor In Deep Ocean?

I read it, and did not fall asleep. It was interesting. While it is not a reliable way to really understand what occurred, the devil being in the details, the bottom line is that the court found, based on the available facts, the both vessels (a single handed sailboat of about 40 feet, and a container ship) had failed to maintain a proper lookout, and each was 50% liable. In the case the judge was both the trier ("decider" to quote someone well known) of fact, since there was no jury, and the applier of the law. The single-hander was below, and the implication is that the watch on the large ship did not see what should have been seen. Both vessels were properly lighted. A terrific example of the real life applications of the colregs!
Old 04-10-2016, 17:18   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Do You Anchor In Deep Ocean?

Collision at sea is usually a 50/50 thing.. baring exceptional circumstances.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 17:19   #78

Boat: 44' Antigua/CSY

You don't.
Wind Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:06   #79

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Collision at sea is usually a 50/50 thing.. baring exceptional circumstances.
As far as I recall a textbook on marine law, that's not true, but attribution of liability is indeed almost never 100/0. Even in "a drunk idiot on a seadoo T-bones an anchored vessel" kind of scenario.

Also, everyone contemplating driving a car (or riding as a passenger) should read car crash statistics and reflect on the fact that basically every one of us, at the time s/he was born, had 1-2% chance of dying in a car crash.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 20:40   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
As far as I recall a textbook on marine law, that's not true, but attribution of liability is indeed almost never 100/0. Even in "a drunk idiot on a seadoo T-bones an anchored vessel" kind of scenario.

Also, everyone contemplating driving a car (or riding as a passenger) should read car crash statistics and reflect on the fact that basically every one of us, at the time s/he was born, had 1-2% chance of dying in a car crash.
One of a couple of cases of which I am aware

Quote:
Collisions - Pleasure Craft
Turcotte v. Dufour, 2015 QCCA 1914 (2015-11-11)

Facts:On 23 August 2008, a vessel operated by the appellant was involved in a collision with another pleasure craft. The two vessels were traveling at about 40 miles per hour in the same direction in a channel having a width of 150 to 200 metres with little traffic. The trial Judge found that the appellant swerved in front of the second vessel spraying the operator of the other vessel with water and then stopped. The second vessel was not able to stop in time to avoid a collision. The trial Judge found that the appellant was 100% at fault for the collision. The appellant appealed.

Decision:Appeal dismissed.

Held:The evidence was sufficient to enable the trial Judge to find that the sole cause of the collision was the sudden and unpredictable manoeuvre of the appellant.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 21:06   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the bible of solo sailing yet: Singlehanded Sailing: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics by Andrew Evans, posts as and sails Foolish Muse. This will answer all your questions, and ones that you never would have thought of. It's also an enjoyable read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never heard of it.. but I wish him well with his sales..
Mr Andrew Evans (the author of the aforementioned book) also has been very generous and has a FREE PDF version that one can download from the Single Handed Sailing Society (another great web site, not about one armed sailors, rather a captain with no crew....:
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 21:14   #82

Quote:
Collisions - Pleasure Craft
Turcotte v. Dufour, 2015 QCCA 1914 (2015-11-11)

Facts:On 23 August 2008, a vessel operated by the appellant was involved in a collision with another pleasure craft. The two vessels were traveling at about 40 miles per hour in the same direction in a channel having a width of 150 to 200 metres with little traffic. The trial Judge found that the appellant swerved in front of the second vessel spraying the operator of the other vessel with water and then stopped. The second vessel was not able to stop in time to avoid a collision. The trial Judge found that the appellant was 100% at fault for the collision. The appellant appealed.

Decision:Appeal dismissed.

Held:The evidence was sufficient to enable the trial Judge to find that the sole cause of the collision was the sudden and unpredictable manoeuvre of the appellant.

Apparently one had better brakes (or at least a break) than the other guy. But, if I were a proctor in admiralty, I'd agree with the judge and the result. That is unless I was for the guy with the brakes.
Old 04-10-2016, 21:45   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the bible of solo sailing yet: Singlehanded Sailing: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics by Andrew Evans, posts as and sails Foolish Muse. This will answer all your questions, and ones that you never would have thought of. It's also an enjoyable read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Thanks for the tip. I just bought the Kindle version. This is the format I use for most everything I read except reference books and charts. It saves weight and space, and since the format can be used on different devices, it is easier to make sure the ones I use stay dry.
Old 04-10-2016, 22:24   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Newb question: in making a solo ocean crossing one needs to sleep at night, presumably. But oceans are deep; how could one possibly spool enough chain for an anchor to hit the ocean floor thousands of feet below?

Just how does a solo sailor anchor at night in deep ocean?
Please do not anchor, lower your main sail and drive with jib on OR lower all the sails and drifting with a sea anchor. Switch-on your radar with an auto-alarm on, 2, 5 or 10 nautical miles range.

Good luck!
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:40   #85
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
?

Just how does a solo sailor anchor at night in deep ocean?
You use a Sea Anchor
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:10   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Maybe I've missed an option (it happens more frequently than I like), but assuming the query is serious -and we all know what "assume" can mean) no one has mentioned being hove to. Yeah, it is still a violation of Colregs, but it does work, and is not all that far from being anchored. Anchor light on definitely. Also, the idea is far less good if you are in or very near a shipping lane or concerned about piracy (the latter is even less frequent mid ocean). Use alarms, radar, GPS etc. for the same reason you would at night. Also use clock alarms at regular intervals (how often a matter of considerable disagreement) to wake up and take a look/see. Single handling can be tough and definitely involves adjustments and compromise. When I've done it, I often, probably usually, sailed at night and stayed hove to while sleeping (with alarms, lighting, andproper visual display) for at least a part of the day.
We've talked about this.

I think being hove to, PROVIDED you're showing lights and shapes for NUC, would be a reasonably seamanlike way to sleep at sea.

It's arguably an abuse of NUC status, but less so than tankers drifting around waiting for orders. That's because there's real necessity involved.

Arguably being NUC doesn't relieve you of the obligation to keep watch (any more than being at anchor does).

But I still think it's reasonably compliant with the Rules, and is a reasonable practical solution.

But I also think that sleeping underway, well reefed down and with a reliable pilot, with effective radar guard zones and AIS alarms on, with a good radar reflector and broadcasting AIS, and well out to sea away from traffic lanes -- is also ok, even if this is a more clear-cut violation of the Rules.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:34   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Anyone contemplating single handing should read:

FindACase™ | GRANHOLM v. THE VESSEL TFL EXPRESS

A very interesting and informative case on several different levels, and not just from the point of view of single handing.

Note that although the yacht was run down by the ship from behind, and the yacht was under sail, the yacht was still 50% liable for the accident.

This really drives home the point that being a stand-on vessel is nothing like having right of way. The yacht was responsible for keeping watch and taking its own avoiding action, and failing to do so made it just as responsible as the give-way vessel for the accident.

On a practical level -- if either vessel had had AIS and/or radar guard zones in operation, the accident would not have happened. The ship was also not keeping a constant 24/7 staring out at the horizon watch. I asserted in a previous post that no one does in the open ocean. To avoid this kind of accident, you really need effective electronic assistance.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
No. The OP seems to have no experience boating or any inkling about passage making and I believe him to be asking an honest question he does not know the answer to.

Entirely correct, sir.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:08   #89

Boat: 60

have done the Pacific from Columbia to South China sea single handed. 65" three mast Junk. AIS Transponder, 40 nautical miles radar, autopilot, electronic charts, generator, water maker, fishing. With good planing, no nasty weather. It was dead boring. "sailing back in time". Mid ocean I got used to sleep two hours, most time on deck. Watch time thirty minutes, checking all devices, drinking a tea, sleep again. I'm still alive. Every night praying helps me a lot.......
Greaser-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaser-Girl View Post
Every night praying helps me a lot.......

Heh, good policy for us motorcyclists, too.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor