Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 18:51   #136
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How Do You Anchor In Deep Ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Wonder how many of those little blips are actually ships and how many are sleeping solo sailors with AIS

Whats the time cycle ? i.e. if it's once an hour, each ship is shown 24 times If it's once every 2 minutes ...... well you figure it out.
The ISS orbits 15 times in 24 hours.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 21:47   #137

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I'd hate to have a sea anchor out when I spot a ship getting ready to run me down....
just sayin'...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 21:56   #138

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I'd hate to have a sea anchor out when I spot a ship getting ready to run me down....
just sayin'...
No fooling! One reason being hove to is my preference, if possible. Also a good reason to have very sharp knife of adequate size, a physical marker, perhaps a MOB pole, and a GPS position.
Old 08-10-2016, 22:48   #139

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I always forget to add to the list of volatile threads: Anchors, guns and politics.... the issue of solo sailing...

Add Global Warming/Climate Change to the list ...
Old 08-10-2016, 22:51   #140

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
just sayin'...
That sounds like one of those times where the sharp bowie knife comes handy ...
Old 08-10-2016, 23:01   #141

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nope.

No work is being done. This applies to dredgers, cable layers, etc..
Work is not required..
"(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, except a vessel engaged in mine-clearance operations, shall exhibit:
three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;"
There's c,d,e and f paragrafs for working vessels..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:35   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Work is not required..
"(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, except a vessel engaged in mine-clearance operations, shall exhibit:
three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;"
There's c,d,e and f paragrafs for working vessels..

BR Teddy
The defintion RAM in rule 3

Quote:
(g). The term “vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre” means a vessel which from the nature of her work is
restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of
another vessel. The term “vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre” shall include but not be limited to:
(i). a vessel engaged in laying, servicing or picking up a navigation mark, submarine cable or pipeline;
(ii). a vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations;
(iii). a vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions or cargo while underway;
(iv). a vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;
(v). a vessel engaged in mine clearance operations;
(vi). a vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to
deviate from their course.
Sleeping is not included.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45   #143

Quote:
Sleeping is not included.
Wasn't talking about sleeping, instead of sea anchor or drogue deployed as in the thread tittle suggests.

By the way, you sure you took the Quote from international rules, not US inland rules?

"THE INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS FOR PREVENTING COLLISIONS AT SEA 1972

With amendments adopted from November 1995

Rule 27

Vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to manoeuvre.
(a) A vessel not under command shall exhibit:
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen;
(ii) two balls or similar shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen;
(iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a stern light.

(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, except a vessel engaged in mine clearance operations, shall exhibit:
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
(ii) three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond;
(iii) when making way through the water, a masthead light or lights, sidelights and a stern light, in addition to the lights prescribed in sub-paragraph (i);
(iv) When at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (i) and (ii), the light, lights or shape prescribed in Rule 30.

(c) A power-driven vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course shall, in addition to the lights and shapes prescribed in Rule 24 (a), exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (b) (i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(d) A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, shall exhibit the lights and shapes prescribed in sub-paragraph(b) (i), (ii) and (iii) of this Rule and shall in addition, when an obstruction exists, exhibit;
(i) two all-round red lights or two balls in a vertical line to indicate the side on which the obstruction exists;
(ii) two all-round green lights or two diamonds in a vertical line to indicate the side on which side a vessel may pass;
(iii) when at anchor the lights or shapes prescribed in this paragraph instead of the lights or shape prescribed in Rule 30.

(e) Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all the lights and shapes prescribed in the paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited;
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
(ii) a rigid replica of the International Code Flag "A" not less than 1 metre in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

(f) A vessel engaged in mine clearance operations shall in addition to the lights prescribed for a power-driven vessel in Rule 23 or to the lights or shape prescribed for a vessel at anchor in Rule 30 as appropriate, exhibit three all-round green lights or three balls. One of these lights or shapes shall be exhibited near the foremast head and one at each end of the fore yard. These lights or shapes indicate that it is dangerous for another vessel to approach within 1000 metres of the mine clearance vessel.

(g) Vessels of less than 12 metres in length, except those engaged in diving operations shall not be required to exhibit the lights and shapes prescribed in this Rule.

(h) The signals prescribed in this Rule are not signals of vessels in distress and requiring assistance. Such signals are contained in Annex iv to these Regulations. "

BR Teddy
Old 09-10-2016, 09:56   #144

What comes to rule 3 you missed The term "vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver" shall include but not be limited to:"

BR Teddy
Old 10-10-2016, 06:40   #145

Quote:
What comes to rule 3 you missed The term "vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver" shall include but not be limited to:"

BR Teddy
You missed "the nature of her work" . All of the vessels used as examples are working vessels.

I know of no case law around this.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:45   #146

Quote:
Wasn't talking about sleeping, instead of sea anchor or drogue deployed as in the thread tittle suggests.

By the way, you sure you took the Quote from international rules, not US inland rules?
TheOP's question

Quote:
Newb question: in making a solo ocean crossing one needs to sleep at night, presumably. But oceans are deep; how could one possibly spool enough chain for an anchor to hit the ocean floor thousands of feet below?

Just how does a solo sailor anchor at night in deep ocean?
All of my quotes are from IRPCS.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59   #147

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
You missed "the nature of her work" . All of the vessels used as examples are working vessels.

I know of no case law around this.
I agree that RAM is not the appropriate signal to show. IIRC, Cockcroft states that vessels dragging anchor and sailing vessels becalmed are legitimately NUC. I contend that if you are compelled to use a para-anchor/drogue for storm conditions/repairs/sea-sickness/etc. then NUC is the proper signal. If going to para-anchor for sleep, then I suggest lighting for being at anchor is most correct. To that end, if just drifting under bare poles or hove-to for sleep, then while anchor lights might be more correct, NUC would be less confusing.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:08   #148

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
If you really do not know, please go back and delete your 3000+ posts since they are unreliable. If you do know, you are aware there is not exact answer, no answer that would fit in the space available, and you are simply being an ass. If you are speaking on behalf of those who may actually wonder, but are unable to use Google or some other source or search device, below is a quote I copied from Wikipedia. As I suspect you know, the idea is to avoid the areas where you are more likely to get run down by a large vessel heading, hell bent for leather for its next port via the best route. As you also know, cruising vessels under sail tend to follow routes that are related to prevailing winds, while commercial vessels have separate abilities and priorities that may allow more direct routes. There are outliers, and always will be (I hope) but reducing unnecessary risk is always a matter for consideration. So you ever look at charts, read books, or even the spin occasional globe?

"A sea lane, sea road or shipping lane is a regularly used route for vessels on oceans and large lakes."

BTW, "out of" is the opposite of "in the."

Please, next time, try to hit the bowl, not your leg.
BA has a book called something like "Shipping routes of the world"; ships don't always follow great circles - the routes changed by season, and took into account statistically-common winds, currents and weather. It's not so common anymore that ships follow these routes. Today they get up-to-the-minute weather information, and route planning changes enroute. In addition, commodities frequently change hands while the ship carrying them is travelling from port A to port B - it then has to change course to port C. The reality in this day and age, is that there is nowhere that is "outside of the shipping lanes."
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:26   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I agree that RAM is not the appropriate signal to show. IIRC, Cockcroft states that vessels dragging anchor and sailing vessels becalmed are legitimately NUC. I contend that if you are compelled to use a para-anchor/drogue for storm conditions/repairs/sea-sickness/etc. then NUC is the proper signal. If going to para-anchor for sleep, then I suggest lighting for being at anchor is most correct. To that end, if just drifting under bare poles or hove-to for sleep, then while anchor lights might be more correct, NUC would be less confusing.
I agree with with your first two statements. I am not convinced about the rest.

You are underway when using a sea anchor or drogue

Quote:
(i) The word "underway" means that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground.

An definition of anchor included being afixed to the sea bed.

Quote:
Term: anchor (n)
Definition: A heavy metal device which is lowered overboard on a line, and which digs into the bottom of the waterway to hold a ship in position against the wind and current.
Nautical Dictionary, Glossary and Terms directory: Search Results

Quote:
Vessels claiming not-under-command status are considered to be underway. That is, they re not considered to be at anchor, made fast to the shore, or aground.
Rule3.html
Old 10-10-2016, 08:28   #150

How many cruisers carry two balls and diamond, as well as two all round red lights and a white light?

Tags
anchor