Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 08:28   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

I don't see anything wrong with going for personal bests if you are "feeling it!" Just not every workout.

Sometimes when I feel a bit bouncy on my runs (if I have more energy than usual and my legs are feeling good) and if everything holds together for the first 2.5 miles or so I will try/attempt to approach an all out sprint for the last few hundred yards or the run/jog/walk. (usually get near 3/4 sprint or possibly a bit closer without pulling anything)

This may cause me to have to take a longer break before my next run but I think it is important to push it sometimes

All you have to do is find a picture of yourself at 8-12 years old or so and look at your body if you were an active kid.

You climbed anything that was available, and there seemed to always be some older kid that wanted to hurt or embarrass you which meant running away at full speed sometimes until you thought your lungs would no longer provide enough air and all your muscle were saying stop but you still ran which made you stronger for the next time

Same thing now …..sort of, but you still have to know your limits and which muscles etc need to be protected and not over stressed
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:42   #17

Also don't forget to have your body PM Checks done like a colonoscopy (or cologuard) and PSA Test for Prostate if you are having any symptoms.

It's so strange how some folks will make sure the boat, car, house etc is in perfect condition while totally ignoring their own health and eating to much of the worst food
Old 23-11-2019, 09:21   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Good advise:

Don't Let the Old Man In.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:33   #19

I'm a medical doctor who does not live aboard my Dana 24 but I have taken it up the inside passage this year from Seattle to Sitka Alaska alone at age 76, have sailed it out on the open ocean in gale force winds alone, and owned sail boats since 1976. The best thing I can tell you is that your symptoms and medical problem as you describe it simply does not exist anywhere in any doctor's mind like that. Our bodies do not work that way. Period. I would suppose the best you can do to get an answer is to seek a medical doctor for help. But I'm not being facetious when I say that I don't envy whoever that person is that you choose to go to because I doubt they will have an answer. Sorry as well that I don't.
Primal Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:08   #20

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Alliance View Post
I'm a medical doctor who does not live aboard my Dana 24 but I have taken it up the inside passage this year from Seattle to Sitka Alaska alone at age 76, have sailed it out on the open ocean in gale force winds alone, and owned sail boats since 1976. The best thing I can tell you is that your symptoms and medical problem as you describe it simply does not exist anywhere in any doctor's mind like that. Our bodies do not work that way. Period. I would suppose the best you can do to get an answer is to seek a medical doctor for help. But I'm not being facetious when I say that I don't envy whoever that person is that you choose to go to because I doubt they will have an answer. Sorry as well that I don't.
This point and no others , get the full blood tests done , and see what it says , check with Dr about meds you may be on , and try and keep a diary of a couple of weeks including food , i.e went to gym today , shattered next day
Certain food types will not help , there is food intolerance's that will give you fatigue especially Gluten , again take it out of your diet for a week see how it goes, check blood sugar levels with Dr as well , let us know how you get on
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:14   #21

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

IMO, if you take a statin drug for cholesterol, it can sometimes cause a general feeling of weakness or lethargy. If that's the case, consider trying some Co-Q-10 supplements.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:16   #22

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Thanks for that,

Look everyone, I'm not just trolling, I'm really struck by how some days I can't even walk straight down the dock. It takes me 100 meters before I can stand up straight.

Then other days (fewer) I am bouncing . It doesn't matter what I did the previous night. Yesterday I worked my ass off on the boat, and stayed up late drinking scotch with my neighbor, and then this morning I feel like superman.

It makes me shake my head.

Fred
Hi: if the difference is that pronounced, it's most likely diet. Sugars and carbs v.s. protein & fats. I don't care about any of that stuff, so I'm not pushing a particular 'lifestyle'. I eat what I want. Never get on a scale. If my pants don't fit, I lay off the donuts for awhile. Exercise, or lack of it, is important, but it shoudn't cause the roller coaster ride you're describing.
There is no doubt that I feel 'better', and more steady when I get off the sugar. All of it, including alcohol. Even for a week. But what for? Are we gonna live forever? I'll take the highs & lows, the bursts of energy along with the down days, to get at my pasta, and pastries, and cereals with honey.
I don't drink, which is a personal choice - but not using alcohol leaves more room for cakes, pies, and donuts!
We do exercise, at least as much on the boat as ashore. Yoga. Stretchy cords. Light weights - ours are small laundry soap bottle with handles, filled with water. Pushups in the cockpit. I love a brisk 3 or 4 mile walk when ashore, and it's what I miss most with living on a boat. Of course it can be done; just not as convenient, at least for us. We don't usually do marinas.
All the best. And if you're still racing sailboats at your age, you really don't need anyone's advice.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:18   #23

I think Newton said it best, "a body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest". I believe this includes interactions with new people and new challenges. Persevere!
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:02   #24

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There's no better exercise than a morning stroll up to the bow to pull the anchor.
Walks 60 ft with coffee in hand.
Presses button.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:11   #25

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I'm weeks away from my 89th birthday with much the same lifestyle as you describe... including the good and bad days.

As has previously been suggested, get a full blood workup. Along the way I was found to be anemic. Had an infusion of iron and it made a world of difference.

Further along, B12 gave me a boost.

Though I continue to take iron tablets, B12 and a pile of other pills, it's like you said... good days and bad days.

Might say that gettin' old sucks but I prefer it to the alternative.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:47   #26

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless guy View Post
I am still a youngun at 38 so can't comment on my own experience but from others i know your age its all diet and activity level and having something that motivates you to get going each day
The kid is right

Keep away from pharma, they'll put your self recovery system out of balance.
Minimise refined food which also puts the system out of balance.
Eat whole food, mainly plant based. Include beans and seeds.
Coffee is OK - its ground beans.
Dark chocolate is OK - also from beans.

I also agree that you could have over-trained and your recovery system is slower than it used to be.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:48   #27

Boat: C&C 37

A couple of tips from an 84 year old who still regularly sails his C&C 37, very often solo, and races (on other people's boats these days). Also a long time fitness instructor, though not as many classes as I used to. Make sure you get enough Protein to keep your muscles "fed" - either in your daily diet, or with a bit of supplement. And hydrate when exercising. Forget the "8 glasses of water a day" thing - just make sure you keep the fluids intake regular. Also, vary your regimens - 30 reps one day, 20 the next, then 30 again type of thing. Don't feel up to a full workout? - take a BRISK walk for 25-30 minutes if near shore. And don't oversleep - 8 hours is more than enough - too much sleep slows you down. Make sure you breath well - too easy to lapse into shallow breaths sometimes. Reasonable/good Diet and keeping active throughout the day helps keep things in balance. I have off-days too - you are not alone.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 14:04   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Sounds more like over training to me.

You should NOT be going for personal bests at this age, not even if you were a couch potato in your middle years, which you were not.

I think it is probably more about targeted, gentle stretching on your off days. More like gentle yoga than trying to get tough-guy strong.

At least, that is the lesson I have learned. You don't get strong when you are working out and you don't get stay limber by rowing and lifting.

I disagree with this. I have started lifting heavy again and am putting on muscle mass, improving my fitness and feeling healthy. Working on my pullups now that my chin ups are coming along nicely.

I think the key here is to start light and work up slowly in order to avoid injury to connective tissue. The arthritis in my back doesn't bother me at all any more. I have no idea how long this will last but I have read of people in their 90s that are body building.

Bye the way he is still going strong at 95.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 14:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoD View Post
A couple of tips from an 84 year old who still regularly sails his C&C 37, very often solo, and races (on other people's boats these days). Also a long time fitness instructor, though not as many classes as I used to. Make sure you get enough Protein to keep your muscles "fed" - either in your daily diet, or with a bit of supplement. And hydrate when exercising. Forget the "8 glasses of water a day" thing - just make sure you keep the fluids intake regular. Also, vary your regimens - 30 reps one day, 20 the next, then 30 again type of thing. Don't feel up to a full workout? - take a BRISK walk for 25-30 minutes if near shore. And don't oversleep - 8 hours is more than enough - too much sleep slows you down. Make sure you breath well - too easy to lapse into shallow breaths sometimes. Reasonable/good Diet and keeping active throughout the day helps keep things in balance. I have off-days too - you are not alone.
Great info but everyone is different. The amount of sleep that works for some does not work for others.

I like 9-10 hours of sleep, and I'm not opposed to 12 hours if I have overdone it on a workout/run. Say I do a 25 mile bike ride a day or so after running 2.5 to 3 miles. I can sleep 10-12 hours afterward.....

When I was way into cycling in my 50's, I'd do 150-175 miles/week sometimes with the group of triathletes and bike racers or more plus a 3 mile run or two. I slept long hours then as well

As far as blood work, that comes with any physical at a decent hospital or clinic.

You have to know your body though. You have to know what you can and cannot eat.

Example I love eggs (and bacon etc) but they will destroy my stomach if I have them more than a couple times a month. And that's just one of the things I have to stay away from

I have maybe one soft drink a month maybe. No tea or maybe one/month. The least amount of sugar as is possible
Old 23-11-2019, 14:33   #30

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless guy View Post
.... your age its all diet and activity level and having something that motivates you to get going each day
@64 I say: BS! its all genes (& to a certain, smallish degree what you do with them)

Tags
work