Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 19:15   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: How did you find your survey

Every surveyor has errors and Omissions insurance which covers them from liability in the event they are sued for "missing things".

Don;t believe anyone who tells you a surveyor has no liability regardless of what they unilaterally write in the survey document. These guys wouldn't pay for E&O insurance if they were free of liability.

I would encourage you and anyone else who has a bad survey done to sue the guy who did it. I generally don't suggest litigation as a first choice in any circumstance but it's way past the time these guys understand they can't get away with shoddy work or negligence.

All buyers should make it a point of asking if the surveyor has E&O coverage. Asking isn't necessary as virtually all of them do but it sends a clear message you want a thorough survey and that they have liability for failure to meet a reasonable standard of care without which you may seek damages from them
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:17   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive just gotten through with a survey, on our new boat ! I did a full day surveying the vessel myself. I used LHS Marine Services In Texas. And let me tell ya this guy is GOOD !! He found so much I missed I could not believe it !!LOL Nothing he found was Big or expensive to fix, and he found all the things I did that needed fixing befrore even a sea trial could be done !! All I can say is he's not Cheap but he is GOOD !! The owner of company did my survey. took him over 9 hours. His name is Louis H. Stahlberg Let me say if ya need a through survey in Texas hes worth every penny he charges
Old 07-12-2012, 06:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go
Our surveyor asked the PO for a previous survey and basically walked through the boat. Did spend a little time tapping on the hull and things. I asked him what he thought and he said oh it is a good boat. Not sure how he knew that, got the report and it was basically a copy of the old one the PO gave him. I found out later they are good friends and am paying the price for being trusting. I did not want to accept it but my wife said "He is such a nice guy it must be okay". I should have trusted my instincts and turned away.

I've replaced the charger already, one toilet still need to do the other, the water system pump today, had exhaust work done today also. I am having another survey done next week with one I know is competent then going after the PO and her friend.
Please see my post a couple above this post...Try not to let the seller or his broker recommend a surveyor, and if you don't know the area and need their assistance in locating a surveyor, ask for at least three companies and then pick yourself.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09   #19

Boat: Morgan 416

SAMS/NAMS was mentioned. Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors website is where I started my search. Talked to one who only does insurance surveys so he recommended a couple others that he trusts. He also spent about 15 minutes on the phone with me answering some of my very basic questions. As soon as I have my offer accepted I'll be calling the two referrals he gave me. Visit the website. It has alot of great info.
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:35   #20

Boat: Alberg 30

I got a nice survey. Didn't have much to do with the boat. Live and learn.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote