Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2011, 18:08   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: How Close to Shore Is Too Close While Hove to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
Good question. We are considering bringing my retirement boat home. We are looking at 15 days for this window of fair weather. If we miss this window I have to wait until spring.The passage is from Maryland to Kehma, Texas.We will motor 1/3 of the way. Wehope to put out to about 20 miles and follow the coast. The hurricane season is past. However, we might get caught. I understand everone does at some time. I am just making all efforts to not be unprepared.

Not everyone gets caught in a hurricane or tropical storm ... They are completely avoidable.

What do you draw in this boat? Around Florida a depth sounder is VITAL.

Old 20-10-2011, 18:15   #62

She has a 6' draft with a fin keel,24000 lbs,12' beam and all the bells and whistles of an update on a 1984 fiberglass.

Old 20-10-2011, 18:15   #63
cruiser

Quote:
I, as of yet, do not have the charts. However, I am going on info from a boater that has floated the ICW several times and he said Buford, NC. was the time to look up and see where we were.We will figure it out as time comes near.If you have some experience with the ICW I would be grateful for your input.

By the way, Zeehag is right about the Gulf of Mexico. Look at your charts when you get them. Much of the G of M is actually fairly shallow, allowing waves to build up.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:22   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cool both ways are good. tampa to pascagoula is faster and fewer storms--tampa is stormhell..but when front rips across gulf is a serious e ticket ride...

Well, I live there ... Tampa is the lightning capitol of the country, but Tampa is well inland of the Gulf coast, and most storms at this time of year don't make it to the coast on that latitude, much less out into the Gulf. The worst Tampa storms occur over land, where the east sea breeze and the west sea breeze collide. It's more likely to be over Tampa than the center of the state because the East is stronger, but often the storms start in Tamps, and grow as they move east (usually not west, but check your weather forecast).

South of Tampa Bay the pattern may be different. I'm only familiar with where I live.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:26   #65

Thanks.This is invaulable information. You can't find that on chart. Local knowledge is gold.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:28   #66
cruiser

Quote:
She has a 6' draft with a fin keel,24000 lbs,12' beam and all the bells and whistles of an update on a 1984 fiberglass.

OK. With a 6' draw, be VERY careful around Florida. Look at your chart carefully, study it ahead of time, use your chart plotter, and both of you double-check your positions. It's really easy to run aground along the Florida coast. Some sand bars can extend a mile or more off the coast, especially with your draw. Sometimes the channels are extremely narrow.

Why does this matter of you're going to stay off shore? Weather may drive you in to a safer haven. You go one foot out of the Clearwater Channel in some places, you'll be aground. Almost any boat would be. Other channels slope from one side to the other. Pass-A-Grille is another example of a tricky channel. Both are bendy. Look over your shoulder and make sure the marker in front of you and the one behind you are lined up.
Old 20-10-2011, 18:35   #67

Not only am I reading these inputs.I also am printing them to put together as a reference while we are in route. I never thought for one mintue, that I would have so many well intended people, take this kind interest and offer so much help. I goes a long way to be what is said about boaters as a collective soul.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:02   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

my 4-108 perkins was first repaired thing--works great.... have a garmin 498,just needs chips for it.. takes non vision chips, and a transducer needs to apppear in my life, butican use as is.. did it to here......managed 1500miles in this shakedown cruise special....every leg is a shakedown...aand i must restitch my jib--i have no clew on th sail at present--all need restitched. is all good-- bit by bit!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 19:08   #69

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: How Close to Shore Is Too Close While Hove-to ?

I think you have your concerns misplaced. Zee as usual is on the right tack. The problem is that you are trying to do this trip on a schedule - that gets a lot of people in trouble. Keeping to the schedule tends to trump caution. Under the best of conditions 15 days for this trip is optimistic - so what are you planning if it takes 30 days or longer? Are you prepared to stop well short of the goal and leave the boat and fly home? Or push on and schedule be damned? If these aren't comfortable outcomes then you will likely take unnecessary risks.

Of course you should be prepared if you do get caught out, but I would argue that your priority is to not get caught out and hang the schedule. My 2.

Good luck,

Greg
Old 20-10-2011, 19:09   #70

66- grab the bride and go to the Bahamas from Maryland for a 4-5 month shakedown cruise. When you have completed that pick your next destination.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:13   #71

It's a joy when things, and people work out. I sent Louis an e-mail, but it came back.I will wait until tomorrow and call him.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:17   #72

Blgklr...Thanks for the advise. Too late. I married a 30 years Las Vegas dancer with a Dad leaving her 3 oil wells in South Texas. I have to pace myself. I'm almost good for a couple weeks, but 3-4 months and there wouldn't be anything left but an ankle bone.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:20   #73

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Oops - seems I missed 4 pages of the thread...

Be careful and have a good time. Whatever happens you are going to have better weather than those of us up North...

Greg
Old 20-10-2011, 19:24   #74

Carina...There is not an urgency to get there . It is getting out before we get trapped in. If it takes 20-40 days I have no problem. This crew, such as we are at this time of 2, and a strong 1/2 way there guy.We have all time time in the world getting there . We want to be out of the old . That might be SC for us. After that it will make it a pleasure cruice of high adventures.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:32   #75

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I agree with much of the advice above about your time window. I've only gone as far as Tampa, but I've done the East Coast part of the trip many times in both directions. It's just very difficult to predict how long it will take you. It all depends on the weather, and specifically which way the wind is blowing. If it's blowing against you, you really aren't going to get anywhere going offshore. If it's blowing in your favor this time of year, it's just as likely to be blowing a gale.

If things go your way, you could make it from the Chesapeake to Miami in 5 days offshore. If they don't, you could be grinding away for 3-4 weeks to cover the same distance, much of it motoring down the ICW (although this is a very pretty trip.) Just realise that you might not make it all the way home in the time you have available. It happens a lot, and it's no reason not to go. I had to leave my boat up in a boatyard up in Maryland this summer when I ran out of time on a trip. I'll get it back under weigh in the spring, I hope.

Have fun and be safe.

Oh, and just an afterthought: for what it's worth, I don't think I'd go offshore around Hatteras in October. I did it once before, but I don't think I'd do it again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: