Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 17:05   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: How Close to Shore Is Too Close While Hove to ?

The bane (and sometimes fatal mistake) is trying to make a sailboat fit into a time frame.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:06   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: how far with a hove to

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
That is a great beginning. Can you recall where you saw this. I have yet to ask the right question to get on the right page ? My first take was at 40-50 knots I would drift about 5-10 knots. I see I was way off. If I double/triple your number I can figure the rest, however, I would like to see a more concise formula. I am a little anal.
If you are hove to, you are actually "forereaching" at a variable rate...working to windward a bit, falling off, and working to windward a bit. If you are doing it correctly, where the boat's about 60 degrees off and everything feels distinctly less washing machine, you can expect to do under 2 knots towards the direction of the wind, although who actually measured this is unclear to me.

A current close to shore puts paid to those calculations, as does the effect of tidal set. 20 miles would, in a sub-40 footer hove to effectively, might give you three hours of nap time safely, and I mean "safely" in terms of not keeping a watch and not being less than 20 miles from a reef, rock or awash container or sleeping whale.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:13   #18

I very well might not understand hove to. I understood that a drift would take me away from the wind. I felt I should also have a parachute anchor. Has anyone ever found the need? Is this anchor just an insurance against the very worst ?
oldman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:22   #19

Thanks, I have a dramaticly better understating. I do readyly accept the better built boat idea. I am like most right minded people. I want to gather from others that know so much more than I, so as to make better decisions. Everyone has been forthcoming and I greatly appreciate it.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:33   #20

Sorry, I did not answer your question. The boat is a 41' fin keel sloop,beam 11'.75 " with a 6' draft weighing 24000 lbs.We will be making our way from Maryland down the ICW on motor.We will put out 20 miles and follow the coast line to Kehma, Texas.This is north of Houston.It has all the modern equipment, etc. She also has a friendly Schaeffer furling boom and jib.All lines run to the cockpit for Solo sailing.If you do not know of this boom, it furls without the neccessary coming up and can reef on the fly to any lenght. She has a 50hp diesel that we can motor all the way in if called for.Boom was tested in storm conditions.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:38   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Close to Shore Is Too Close While Hove to ?

If your hove to properly you should be bow riding the wind driven waves at a comfortable angle...
For example in a SW'ly your drift would be roughly SSE-SE... away from land...
Ahh just read your last post... motor the ICW in unfavourable weather outside and sail out when conditions are good...
Doubt you'll come close to needing to heave to... just pick your primary and secondary entrances carefully

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:42   #22

Thanks. You have validated my, and others thinking on this. Clearly you are very accomplished. I will look forward for your posts as I will of the others that offered good insight.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:43   #23

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

When you say follow the coast, does that include the west coast of Florida and the coast of Al, Mississippi, La, ? or did you think you'd take the rhumb line once on the west coast of fla?

How did you chart this, what milage? Just a quick look it appears to be over 1500 miles from Norfolk.

Shall we assume that you're looking at making at least 100 miles a day for 15 days, in non-stop, delivery mode ?

Your greatest exposure is in the gulf then..since you should be able to obtain decent forecasts on the east coast. Then you'd need at least a good 5-6 day window thereafter.

As estarzinger says..you should have sea-room n the gulf but... perhaps a few oil platforms to avoid....Got radar? I know little about the gulf..So I'll sit back and learn..

Do you have SSB? Sat weather?
Old 19-10-2011, 17:50   #24

A lot of what you said and ask is on point. The coast is out of the ICW at Buford, NC. The total distance is not important as I have nothing better to do. I will take my time and enjoy. The distance from the coast will be by thumb. Something that has been done for thousands of years before me. We how all the bells and whistles of any recently updated sloop.
Old 19-10-2011, 18:00   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
Thanks. You have validated my, and others thinking on this. Clearly you are very accomplished. I will look forward for your posts as I will of the others that offered good insight.
Not really... just hate coastal sailing... to much like hard work.....

Old 19-10-2011, 18:09   #26

I haven't been familiar with work for some time. I have found myself to be old, and in want of a last hurraw. If I don't break my boat or kill myself, you will see a post of me and my beautiful young bride living aboard in warm waters somewhere.
Old 19-10-2011, 18:15   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from ft myers to kemah you may want to reconsider as there is a large area called mouth of misissippi river you want to be well off for... can you diagonally cut the gulf of mexico to get to galvston bay without having to skirt the miss delta..... or go thru the icw and locks through NOLA.....i think diagonal cut of gom is the fastest way....and you will avoid much of the local tampa to panhandle area storm activity. just keep an eye on the weather
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 18:17   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROFLMBO.......

Old 19-10-2011, 18:18   #29

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

haha...I love sailing...but if I had a beautiful young bride..I'd let the captain deliver the boat...and head straight for warm weather with my bride.. ;-)

Tempest <--- sleeping on the couch tonight..
Old 19-10-2011, 18:22   #30

I, as of yet, do not have the charts. However, I am going on info from a boater that has floated the ICW several times and he said Buford, NC. was the time to look up and see where we were.We will figure it out as time comes near.If you have some experience with the ICW I would be grateful for your input.