Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 19:11   #1

how close to container ship?

Ok, so my semi-newbie question is NOT about a container ship under way. it is one docked. on a river. neither loading/unloading or prepping to get underway. I am sailing close hauled where a river bends over the course of about two miles, and my course allows me to run without tacking by starting on the east side of the river, running close to the west side halfway around this bend, and then ending up on the east side again another mile downstream. my alternative would of course have been to throw a few tacks in but time was short and it just wasn't necessary. however, on the west shore is this container ship so I end up going by about 50 yards from its beam. Calm conditions, no worries on our end... until the captain gets on channel 13 to ask if I had a death wish or something. understood, I stay away from working ships as a general practice... this just did not seem a terribly unsafe situation by any stretch.

So the question is, was I too close, what was the danger, and what would be a safe distance in this situation?
Duke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:23   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: how close to container ship?

It probably would have been best to ask the ship captain. I have no idea why he would have been concerned from your description so I would have asked him. Maybe he was preparing to get underway.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've sailed closer than that to docked container ships. The entire channel was probably only 200 yards wide. Nobody raised an eyebrow.

Military and "sensitive" ships often have a 100-yard exclusion zone around them, enforced by people with guns. I keep my distance from these.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Don't understand either. Even docked I wouldn't get too close to a container ship but death wish? Were they actively loading? Maybe he was concerned a dropped container might land on your head. They drop one occasionally.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:56   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

The winds may vary somewhat as they are deflected by the ship, so maybe the captain was concerned you were going to lose way and drift into it. 50 yards is fairly close.

However, it reminds me of a time I did similar with an anchored ship, planning to sail past their bow, well in front of the anchor line. As we approached, I could hear an alarm sounding and 2 crew members came from the bridge and walked towards the bow. There didn't seem to be any annoyance from them, but I'm sure it wasn't coincidence.

I suspect it was an automatic proximity alarm and they came out to check that all was OK.

So in your case, maybe an alarm went off, waking whoever was "on duty".
Old 19-06-2015, 20:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

In the US, as part of the punishment of ordinary citizens for 9/11, port areas and ships in those ports are within a restricted area and we are excluded. Some ships that appear as civilian are under lease or contract to the military and often as restricted as a warship. In the PNW I have been run away from log loading dock areas when no ship was in sight and wasn't aware the dock was part of an organized port.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 05:28   #7

Thanks for the replies. I was definitely a little worried that a wind shift make the ship a lee shore... then again I do have an engine and could have cranked it up if needed.
Old 20-06-2015, 06:02   #8

Lots of unknowns from your description:

How wide was the channel? 200yds wide, should be an issue. 1 mile wide, you were probably too close for comfort.

All this assumes you really knew what the ship was doing. He may have been preparing to leave or there may have been a tug about to come out from behind his stern unseen by you.

Also security may take a shoot first, ask questions later approach.

Most likely he was overstating the case but you were clearly too close for comfort. We generally give large ships as much space as we reasonably can.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:32   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

according to the patriot act, you can go only to 500 ft of said container ship.
same with navy ships and cruise ships.
read the rules well. they change as homeless insecurity deems fit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:45   #10

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
Ok, so my semi-newbie question is NOT about a container ship under way. it is one docked. on a river. neither loading/unloading or prepping to get underway. I am sailing close hauled where a river bends over the course of about two miles, and my course allows me to run without tacking by starting on the east side of the river, running close to the west side halfway around this bend, and then ending up on the east side again another mile downstream. my alternative would of course have been to throw a few tacks in but time was short and it just wasn't necessary. however, on the west shore is this container ship so I end up going by about 50 yards from its beam. Calm conditions, no worries on our end... until the captain gets on channel 13 to ask if I had a death wish or something. understood, I stay away from working ships as a general practice... this just did not seem a terribly unsafe situation by any stretch.

So the question is, was I too close, what was the danger, and what would be a safe distance in this situation?
My response would have been "Negative. Just checking to see if you were aground and requiring a tow"

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:15   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
"Ok, so my semi-newbie question is NOT about a container ship under way. it is one docked. on a river. neither loading/unloading or prepping to get underway. I am sailing close hauled where a river bends over the course of about two miles, and my course allows me to run without tacking by starting on the east side of the river, running close to the west side halfway around this bend, and then ending up on the east side again another mile downstream. my alternative would of course have been to throw a few tacks in but time was short and it just wasn't necessary. however, on the west shore is this container ship so I end up going by about 50 yards from its beam. Calm conditions, no worries on our end... until the captain gets on channel 13 to ask if I had a death wish or something. understood, I stay away from working ships as a general practice... this just did not seem a terribly unsafe situation by any stretch.

So the question is, was I too close, what was the danger, and what would be a safe distance in this situation?"

what i said.. you need to give 500 ft per homeless insecurity. look it up. since the uss coles incident and other lovely terrorist activities perpetrated on shipping and ships, there is a 500 ft mandatory distance to maintain from these behemoths, including while they are in port. period. 500 ft, per homeless insecurity of us govt.
donot forget to remember the uss coles.
PATRIOT ACT
sometimes that 500 ft is not possible, in which case, remain as far off them as you are able, even while they are docked and taking on provisions or resting.
in some ports you willbe reminded by cute lil gunships of usn.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:25   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Keep in mind that although your hull may be several feet away from the ship, your mast may be leaning several feet further, and could catch on hull fittings or gear. But I doubt you are that close.

If the ship captain is on his bridge, you will disappear below his rail. From his point of view, you are on a collision course. He cannot see you come about or change course from his vantage point.

I often like to tack close into shore. My rule is that when the wife starts yelling at me, I come about. One time I forgot my wife wasn't aboard...and I almost ran aground.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:58   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
according to the patriot act, you can go only to 500 ft of said container ship.
same with navy ships and cruise ships.
read the rules well. they change as homeless insecurity deems fit.
That is incorrect. The general rule is no go closer than 100 yards, must reduce speed to minimum within 500 yards.

http://www.uscg.mil/d13/dpw/docs/Pro...neswebcopy.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 09:10   #14

Ok thanks! I was clearly being unpatriotic then!
Old 20-06-2015, 10:15   #15

As with so many things, when you have any doubt it is time to do something else. Any thought about being too close too means you are. Just like reefing, if you think maybe you should, you should.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote