Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 13:24   #31
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
... I have sailed a LOT of different boats, and this Cal is new to me. I bought it last year, and other than my trip from Venice to Key West last October I've only sailed her on day trips. ...

...At the moment my iPhone is the only instrument I have for navigation other than my laptop that was not aboard and my un-swung compass. My compass is within 10 degrees of the GPS and most times within 5....
I'm sailing fron Venice to New York in November, but on a cruise ship and never on a small boat with an uncompensated compass and limited navigational devices. I'm incredulous of your transatlantic feat.

__________________

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 16:50   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
However your Cal with a genoa can easily out point any common multihull.
Not so. It should out-point "common multihulls" with low-aspect stub keels, but it will not outpoint "common multihulls" with centerboards and provision for close sheeting angles.

My Dragonfly trimaran has a 6.5' draft with centerboard down and sails quite efficiently at 30 degrees apparent. We can point and tack similar to "performance-cruiser" monohulls (and leave them all in our wake in 10+ knots of true wind). As for the 10-15 degrees capngeo claims for his cal -- that is simply a misunderstanding or instrument malfunction of some sort (unless under power).

With engine on we sail at 10 apparent

One more thing -- you folks who are quoting NWS historical data might as well be quoting the weather on Mars. Local conditions (as in within 100 yards of a boat and 1-minute time difference) vary significantly. And what about magnetic deviation from the "north up" projection of capngeo's i-phone?
__________________

__________________
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:21   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
OK I know I asked for this..... But I'm not a troll and don't BS on purpose. I didn't start this thread to be attacked or be labeled a bulls***er! I know there are others here with more time on the water than I, especially on sailboats. The reason I started the thread, was to see if anyone else observed a boat with similar ability, as THIS boat heads upwind better than any other I have ever sailed.
OK Capngeo, the reason you started this thread " was to see if anyone else observed a boat with similar ability, as THIS boat heads upwind better than any other I have ever sailed"

The answer has been unanimously NO, and there have been several folks who have kindly tried to show you why we don't really believe your claims.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think you are trying to mislead us (that is, I'm not accusing you of being a BS'er), but I do think that you don't understand how to measure apparent wind angles and how they relate to true wind angles.

Again, what I and most of the other posters here are saying is that not only is it impossible for your Cal-28 to do what you claim, but that no other boats known to the group can even approach this degree of close-windedness.

I hope that you can accept this group wisdom without construing it as a personal attack.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:43   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
It might even be worth stopping and having a think about how a sailboat actually works, i.e. what it is about a sailboat that allows it to move to windward - essentially, the same thing that allows an airplane to fly. As Scotty from Star Trek would say: "Ye cannae change the laws o' physics". What you are proposing is, essentially, contrary to the laws of physics. I'm not calling you a BSer, either, just mistaken.
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:49   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Let me put it another way:
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/YD/200...-%20Polars.jpg
The above link will give you the polar speed data for both a TP52 and an IMS52. These are 2 of the most high performance, state of the art, whizz-bang, ultra-light, ultra fast racing boats on the planet. Note how their polars stop at about 35 degrees true wind angle. There is a reason for this.... and the reason is that they can't sail closer that 35 degrees to the wind. But you reckon that your 30 something year old, 28 foot, dirty bottomed, IOR hull-shape 4KSB can sail at 10 degrees to the wind...

Does. Not. Compute.
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:53   #36
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
[QUOTE=Jim Cate;526946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
OK I know I asked for this..... But I'm not a troll and don't BS on purpose. I didn't start this thread to be attacked or be labeled a bulls***er! I know there are others here with more time on the water than I, especially on sailboats. The reason I started the thread, was to see if anyone else observed a boat with similar ability, as THIS boat heads upwind better than any other I have ever sailed.

QUOTE]
OK Capngeo, the reason you started this thread " was to see if anyone else observed a boat with similar ability, as THIS boat heads upwind better than any other I have ever sailed"

The answer has been unanimously NO, and there have been several folks who have kindly tried to show you why we don't really believe your claims.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think you are trying to mislead us (that is, I'm not accusing you of being a BS'er), but I do think that you don't understand how to measure apparent wind angles and how they relate to true wind angles.

Again, what I and most of the other posters here are saying is that not only is it impossible for your Cal-28 to do what you claim, but that no other boats known to the group can even approach this degree of close-windedness.

I hope that you can accept this group wisdom without construing it as a personal attack.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim....
I certainly accept the MAJORITY of the posts as constructive.... some were a bit...... Obtuse?

As I mentioned, my "measurements" were very seat-of-the-pants. I agree with the group, in that I have sailed a lot of boats that don't run upwind worth a darn..... I maintain THIS boat sails closer to the wind than any other I have ever been on. From the replies, it would seem that even if my observations were off by 100%, the performance would still be remarkable. Yet, I still sailed a course my buddy said was "impossible" without the Diesel factor, and my engine was room temperature when I dropped anchor.

How about we leave it at this; ANY member of this forum is welcome to sail with me, take the helm, and call the shots...( there has to be some in or near KW) If they say I'm full of excrement, I will whole heartedly apologize to the forum publicly. If they come back and say "wow the CAL really points" then we will all toast Mr. Hunt's design ability, as it is CERTAINLY NOT my ability as a sailor that makes this boat run windward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce
I'm sailing fron Venice to New York in November, but on a cruise ship and never on a small boat with an uncompensated compass and limited navigational devices. I'm incredulous of your transatlantic feat
Ah..... Venice FLORIDA
__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:56   #37
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Ok, making my usually attempt at complete irrelevancy ... I took the boat out last week and found my wind vane only pointing in one direction. There had been a lot of purple martens around. The cute little buggers like to roost and have a good chat. The guy who sits on the highest spot seems to get some kind of bragging rights so my vane is quite popular. I watched a young fellow try to sit on it one day. Every time the wind moved he'd flap his wings trying to keep his balance but he didn't give up. I figure eventually he applied a little "cement" to the situation and found himself more stable. A good gust broke the cements hold and the wind seemed to behave much more sensibly. Ok ... back to our regular scheduled discussion ...
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:04   #38
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Oh! I must be too focused on my Venice, Italy trip.
__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:10   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kitsap Penninsula, WA
Boat: C&C Mega 30
Posts: 87
As a previous poster mentioned, point up as high as you can, get the compass reading, tack and point up as high as possible again.

I'm guessing you'll find about a 100 degree difference in the two indicating that you're getting about as close to the wind as everyone here thinks you are. No fancy equipment really needed.

As far as the two island and you quarrel with your buddy, don't think I know enough about the two islands or what your buddy was arguing about, nor am I really going to concern myself.
__________________
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 19:13   #40
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Ok, making my usually attempt at complete irrelevancy ... ...
And then there's the yin and the yang of it, and the direction of the solar wind... bet you never took that into account either.
Anyone else feeling there's nothing more to add?
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 21:08   #41
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
OK I know I asked for this..... But I'm not a troll and don't BS on purpose. I didn't start this thread to be attacked or be labeled a bulls***er! I know there are others here with more time on the water than I, especially on sailboats. The reason I started the thread, was to see if anyone else observed a boat with similar ability, as THIS boat heads upwind better than any other I have ever sailed.
No one is calling you a BSer. A BSer doesn't believe their own claim. You clearly believe what you are saying.

As to the reason you started this thread - Answer = No one on this board has ever, ever seen a boat that would routinely point 10-15 degrees to apparent under sail alone.

This includes everyone's personal boats and the J24, Etchels, TP52, IM52 & Beneteau First 40.7. Polar plots have been provided for these boats except the Etchels.

A polar plot has been provided for a SJN28, very similar to your boat, that also shows it is unlikely you are pointing a CAL28 10 degrees apparent.

You believe your boat points better than race bred yachts. Everyone is simply trying to help you understand that it is impossible.

However you probably have a great pointing CAL28. You probably have a great 150% genny that you love. You made a great pass through a narrow channel demonstrating the confidence you have in yourself and your boat. Most importantly you beat your buddy back to the marina! Everyone loves their boats and you rightfully do too.

If I ever get to Fla, I'd love to sail with you. But if you really want to convince us, join a beer can race at your club and let us know how you do against the club fleet in terms of pointing. Not because we don't believe you and want to say, "I told you so", but because it will settle the issue in your own mind.

Alternately next time you are out make a track into the wind that includes at least 4 tacks and post it. You track only shows one tack that is over 90 degrees so we can't determine anything.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 21:40   #42
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Let me put it another way:
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/YD/200...-%20Polars.jpg
The above link will give you the polar speed data for both a TP52 and an IMS52. These are 2 of the most high performance, state of the art, whizz-bang, ultra-light, ultra fast racing boats on the planet. Note how their polars stop at about 35 degrees true wind angle. There is a reason for this.... and the reason is that they can't sail closer that 35 degrees to the wind. But you reckon that your 30 something year old, 28 foot, dirty bottomed, IOR hull-shape 4KSB can sail at 10 degrees to the wind...

Does. Not. Compute.
I had to read your post more than once to finally get it. I was struggling with a TP52 only pointing 35 apparent. Of course it makes sense that these polars are true wind...

We had a TP52 racing regularly in regattas here. We did a staggered passage race on the final day of a regatta in the hopes that the finish would have a "cluster" of boats.

The TP started 30 minutes after us in the Beneteau. After the first Mark, maybe 10-12 miles we had the first spinnaker set. The TP passed us like a freakin' freight train. Closed up about a 4 mile gap in around an hour.

Here is a shot of the TP a "bit" powered up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wcday1-025.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	19547  
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What if Someone Anchors Too Close to Me ? Hillbillyfunk Anchoring & Mooring 78 26-07-2010 00:10
Too Close! WAY TOO CLOSE! Anchoring Near Jerks MarkJ Anchoring & Mooring 106 20-05-2009 13:58
how close to the wind ? capt lar General Sailing Forum 30 22-11-2005 21:04
Sooooooooo Close Pandy7 Meets & Greets 3 29-08-2004 16:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.