Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 13:24   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
This boat is far to be safe
The crew is unexperienced
I'm afraid a whole family is in danger
Just because the skipper cannot listen to people with knowledge and experienced
At the beginning I thought this was a kind of joke.
Asking question and not taking into account any of the answers.
After reading threads and the blog and seeing picture, i'm really afraid that this will have a disastrous end.
Old 03-11-2013, 15:54   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: How can I be sure my rigging is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Do your hang gliders stay outdoors, live in a salt water / salt spray environment, and undergo continuous cycling/shock loads and occasional freezing cycles? That might make a difference.

But I do agree that the "ten year rule" is probably overly cautious in most cases.
When in Guam ,everything but the freezing...Now that you mention it,we would wash off all gliders and trikes with fresh water every day,wonder if that would make a difference on a sailboats rigging?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:01   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
When in Guam ,everything but the freezing...Now that you mention it,we would wash off all gliders and trikes with fresh water every day,wonder if that would make a difference on a sailboats rigging?
Yes, but you have to be there, and you have to have the water to do it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:05   #109

Boat: Allied 39
I am a newbie to this forum and didn't want to jump in and sounds like a horse's ass but with all due respect you ask a question which right off shows that you don't have a clue then proceed to blow off all advice from well meaning knowledgeable folks. Your going to do what ever you feel is the best thing. So why even ask for advice? Your wasting everyone's time. You have a rig that's 30 years old..... you're just rolling the dice.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:28   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Scoobert, let me put it into perspective that might make more sense to you. You mention you're a trucker right? You're probably aware that tires have a lifespan that is not necessary dependent on the tread wear. Often on commercial vehicle that is 5 years.

Would you drive on tires that were 10 years old but had tread left? Are they safe? What if they were 20 years old? Or older?
Old 03-11-2013, 17:53   #111

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If Scoobert used tye downs as bad as his rigging looks, he would be loosing loads right and left !! And if his truck was in the shape his boat looks like it is, he might get a lot less loads !! Come on Scoobert, listen to at least some of the folks on here that are really worried about you and your wifes safety in any offshore sailing !! And do what allmost all of us has had to do with our boats at one time or the other!! FIX IT OR SELL IT!! Cus I really believe a surveyer could find many things wrong with your boat, that would make it unsafe for offshore work !! Just my opinion which ya are welcome to ignore like you do all the other ones you have already ignored already!! Just my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2013, 19:48   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Scoobert, one thing to remember is that there is no shame in getting expert help, even if you could probably do it yourself. I have a bit of this problem, but sometimes there are tasks that I am unfamiliar with, or just don't have time for, and bringing in someone with more experience is simply prudent. You don't have to go it alone!

Cotton balls won't detect hairline cracks in swaged fittings (etc.), and this is a common problem. A magnifying glass at least, and preferably dye, is the way to inspect.

Do your chain plates show any rust-stain weeping? There is a lot of hidden stuff that is critical to keeping the rig standing.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 23:12   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Scoobert, how many hours do you have sailing? With instructor? Without? On this boat?
And I mean real sailing, no motoring.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29   #114
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Do your chain plates show any rust-stain weeping? There is a lot of hidden stuff that is critical to keeping the rig standing.

i have inspected all the chain plate bolts. none show any sign of damage, crosion, or rust stains. if they did, i would replace the bolts without delay. i doubt it would take more then 30 min per bolt. the chainplate itself does not go thru the deck. its two pieces. one to the deck, and one on the other side.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30   #115
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Scoobert, how many hours do you have sailing? With instructor? Without? On this boat?
And I mean real sailing, no motoring.
your on the verge of trolling my thread. you have said multiple times how i am endangering the world, move on. when i arrive in flordia, we will all have a beer.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
your on the verge of trolling my thread. you have said multiple times how i am endangering the world, move on. when i arrive in flordia, we will all have a beer.
The world?
No
Just your family....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06   #117

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i have inspected all the chain plate bolts. none show any sign of damage, crosion, or rust stains. if they did, i would replace the bolts without delay. i doubt it would take more then 30 min per bolt. the chainplate itself does not go thru the deck. its two pieces. one to the deck, and one on the other side.
Thee is no way to inspect these bolts without removing a representative sample of bolts. The corrosion happens where you can't see it and doesn't always manifest itself with staining.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 14:12   #118

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor

Be prepared to make repairs underway! Carry spares! Things will go wrong! You and your crew will manage. Sail on!!
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

These are very valid questions and ones that have caused me to think long and hard about rigging in general.

1. Any stainless steel rigging under high tension that can't be inspected 100% with dye testing is an accident waiting to happen. And..even if you could inspect 100%...how many cruisers are doing dye testing looking for minute cracks.

2. Stainless is a weaker metal, that has difficult to spot problems. Galvanized steel is stronger and evidence of a problem is far easier to see. The galvanizing is worn off an it rusts. Kind of hard to miss.

3. Galvanized wire and galvanized parts are cheaper.

4. It is also something you can find in remote places. Try and find 7/8 inch stainless rigging parts in Micronesia. Oops, you don't need them in Micronesia because it is too late and you are stuck there with no mast.

5. Galvanized life can be extended with simple easy to apply coatings.

6. Standard bull dogs turned around wire are 100% inspectable.

See my other posts on how I have also converted my rig to low tension. My rigging has no high pretension. It has also just stood up against Hurricane Yolanda (Haiyan)
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging