Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Hotel California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate
(whatever that is)
The key words are the last;
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 21:16   #32

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Good luck with the SS checks, I consider the 62 year old option to get grandfathered in.
62 is the magic number!

Old 06-02-2011, 21:34   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
hate to say it--62 is just another number in the wait to get to another number.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 21:41   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
69 is my lucky number...........sorry bad taste.....phhhut phuttt......
couldn't resist.......
Old 06-02-2011, 21:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Selling up and moving aboard seems a dream of many on this forum. But isn't that dream just a hotel california trap? I mean, for just how long can anyone pursue the quest for pleasure before it becomes simply a pointless and wasteful lifestyle? You know, Goa and Casablanca et al. Most people who go on RV trips never sell up and pretend it's gonna be forever; and on return they're usually desperate for something meaningful to do with their days rather than just drifting and looking on from the outside. I've been involved with boats for yonks from racing dinghies on and they've always occupied most of my free thinking time. Yet the thought of selling up and moving aboard to sail away over the horizon to an island in paradise is 'the horror, the horror'. Yikes, am I really alone?
It doesn't sound like your heart is in it. If you think you will get bored with it, then you probably will. It is the; "When I get there what do I do?" syndrome. I believe it is "The trip not the destination" that is important. but that is just my opinion and I have yet to sell everything and cruise.... when I do It will be the adventure that drives me.

ShaunJ
Old 06-02-2011, 21:56   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
69 is my lucky number...........sorry bad taste.....phhhut phuttt......
couldn't resist.......
68 is my favorite... (thats where i owe you 1)
Old 06-02-2011, 22:00   #37
cruiser

it can be discussed both ways and politcs can be brought into it, but ultimately, if you can forego what you 'think' is right, or what you think you are 'supposed to do', and think along the lines of what if you won the LOTTO...

yes, you can be rich and bored and unhappy and all that, but again...

if you didnt have to work and if you could jsut do 'nothing', then to me, sailing will coer a lot of issues...

you will learn how to sail and how to maintain your boat and when you get 'bored' with all that, you can enjoy and learn about the oceans and marine life.. you can learn about foriegn cultures and learn how to affect change by doing th'direct' actions, instead of smaller societal contributions...

i look forward to finding and counting small fish in reefs and hopefully finding a new species and hopefully haveing it named after me???
Old 06-02-2011, 23:01   #38

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hate to say it--62 is just another number in the wait to get to another number.
zeehag that number 62 means you can, at the age of 62, stop work and apply for your Social Security Benefits, if you've been paying FICA taxes every year. The amount you recieve is less than if you waited until the normal retirement age, which is a moving target and getting further into the futire every year. But at 62 you can go cruising and still receive money, which is kinda nice.

The pain in the a** is medicial insurance. Medicare is avalible when you turn 65, or maybe its on the same slidding scale also. Anyway, if you start Social Security at 62, Medicare doesn't start for at least 3 more years.

While I'm on this, I guess I should drop the other shoe and tell folks that Medicare coverage currently requires a deduction from your SS benefit based on the amount of coverage you select. This was pre Health Care Reform and has not changed. Yet.
Old 07-02-2011, 00:41   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
zeehag that number 62 means you can, at the age of 62, stop work and apply for your Social Security Benefits, if you've been paying FICA taxes every year. The amount you recieve is less than if you waited until the normal retirement age, which is a moving target and getting further into the futire every year. But at 62 you can go cruising and still receive money, which is kinda nice.

The pain in the a** is medicial insurance. Medicare is avalible when you turn 65, or maybe its on the same slidding scale also. Anyway, if you start Social Security at 62, Medicare doesn't start for at least 3 more years.

While I'm on this, I guess I should drop the other shoe and tell folks that Medicare coverage currently requires a deduction from your SS benefit based on the amount of coverage you select. This was pre Health Care Reform and has not changed. Yet.
I KNOW I PAY 96.40 FOR MEDICARE B.I AM 62 AND HAVE SSDI , AS I HAVE FOR 4 YRS.oops but i woulda had to work to age 72 to get any decent paychecks as retirement recipient--i am lucky to have gotten broken instead of retarded.....luckily, ssdi reicipients also receive medicare.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The key words are the last;
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Thanks delmarrey, it's easy to forget the song is nearly forty years old and that lots of cruisers would be too young to know what I was on about.

BTW, I always thought that hotel california was about the trap of indulgence and self-satisfaction, but seems an earlier poster thought it referred to materialism. I reckon I'm right though because it's easy to leave material things behind but indulgence and self-satisfaction much harder...

Anyhow, as 'the dude' in the big lebowski says shortly before being chucked from the cab: "can you turn that down - I hate the Eagles".
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
The reference to a "Hotel California" lifestyle must be refering to the Eagles song which is a tune about drug and alcohol abuse landing you in rehab ("Hotel California"). I definitely do not dream of ending up in rehab nor do most members on this forum so I fail to see the point of the reference. As far as the cruising lifestyle it is like all things life offers, it is an available option. Good for some not so good for others.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
I KNOW I PAY 96.40 FOR MEDICARE B.I AM 62 AND HAVE SSDI , AS I HAVE FOR 4 YRS.oops but i woulda had to work to age 72 to get any decent paychecks as retirement recipient--i am lucky to have gotten broken instead of retarded.....luckily, ssdi reicipients also receive medicare.
Interesting that you have a government supported disability that will allow you to go cruising.

regards John
Old 07-02-2011, 11:55   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting that you have a government supported disability that will allow you to go cruising.

regards John
When one works and pays into a system that is set up for the public, then it's a reward not government supported.
The government has been stealing from the system for years and now says it may be cancelled.

It's time for a little pay back I would think. Not to get political but if a Senator gets hurt and can't work he/she gets multi $1000's per month at our expense.

Myself I've paid into the system for 45 years and was permanently injured on the job. So I'll be living of my annual payments for the rest of my life too.

High 5 zeehag!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47   #44

delmarry,
sorry you construed my comment in a negitive fashion.
I paid into the system starting in 1958 and have been receiving SS since 2002. Mines called retirement.

I notr that all members of Congress have signed up for free medical insurance for themselves and their families, despite their campaign rants..
Old 07-02-2011, 15:37   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
delmarry,
sorry you construed my comment in a negitive fashion.
I paid into the system starting in 1958 and have been receiving SS since 2002. Mines called retirement.
See my PM.

Tags
california

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: