Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25   #46

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Horror vs Good stories

Theres so Many Good days to remenber! they sometimes run to gether! LOL but the Bad days are never forgoten! LOL We have had our big blows and all that ! but the days I remember the most are the 14 days my brother and I sat windless on our first open ocean sail to Hawayee! in 1957! we figured on 20 days or so from Mexico, but with the 14 extra days it seemed for ever !! all our water was in gallon jugs, and our soap was not salt water soap! so we got just a little ripe ! but then we were Young and slim and it did not seem to bad then !! LOL but I would hate to do that today !! LOL but of course we have a diesel now ! back then all we had was a sea gull long shaft LOL! funny the things ya remember with a smile years later! That seemed so scary at the time !! ( we did not even have jets to follow back then LOL) But those days were great then, we just had to wait a few years for the memorys to age to realize it !!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38   #47

Boat: hunter 376

Open ocean sailing in the 1950s? Bob, you are a true pioneer.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dear mrs don lucas.....
please just go sailing. you will absolutely LOVE it--dont worry about the bs the folks try to convince you about--they are fos...you must know that--most are males....
smooth sailing, and have a great time.

btw--do learn how to fix engine, so mr don lucas has good dreams....

She comes sailing and sails almost as much as me and isn't a "fair weather sailor" either (she would prefer to sail with me most of time if the weather is bad because she worries too much abut my being alone).

Now if she could fix an engine that would really be something. Se was a nuclear qualified electrician in another life. But now if I ask her an electrical question I get that deer in the headlights look.

PS - to my knowledge she likes at least 1 male
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

No pioneer, just old ! LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 14:38   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
I think they are called JUMARS. I went into a rock climbing store, explained our situation and asked what I needed. The first time up took me about an hour, the same to get down. I am quite a bit faster now that I have learned the technique and how to get the rhythm going, but I am sure any decent rock climber would laugh at me...
I also use rope ascenders to go up the mast. I found going up was OK, but getting back down very slow. So now I get my wife to lower me on the halyard, which I always had rigged as a safety line anyway.

Re horror stories - we don't have any. Our worst passage was about 800 miles, around 600 of which was in wind over 30 knots. Not scary, just a little uncomfortable, mostly due to the noise, and boring, because we couldn't go sit on the trampolines or read.

Passagemaking is only a small fraction of your time on a boat anyway. We had 4 crappy, but far from dangerous, days in nearly 3 years.

You'd be lucky to do that well on a daily commute by car.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote