Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 02:05   #31
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: Horror vs Good stories

Last spring we did our first ocean crossing. We sailed from St Martin to Bermuda (end May) , Bermuda to the Azores (mid Jun), and Azores to Lisbon (end Jun). It was a great experience. As far as conditions went - 3 days of motoring to get to some wind and we only saw winds above 20 kts on two days. If you don't have a schedule to meet, take your time and watch the weather for the right window.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 14:07   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

before I direct my wife to this thread I figured it was time to refrsh it and see if it can collect some more good passage stories
Old 01-01-2013, 14:27   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
before I direct my wife to this thread I figured it was time to refrsh it and see if it can collect some more good passage stories
Captain Ron said "if something bad happens its going to happen out there."
He was wrong.

If something bad can possibly happen its on an Internet forum.

I have written a book on my circumnavigation called "It was Nice. Nothing Bad Happened"
The publisher wants to change the title to "DEATH AT SEA! How to Do It!!"

I have a Whale and Dolphin identification book. Guess what's on the cover? A killer whale!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:00   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-2

No passage stories, but cruising on the Maine coast. I am an early riser, and I love taking my pot of coffee onto the deck when I awake and watch the world wake up. Seals, blue heron, porpoises going by, the fog lifting, and another day in paradise.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Don,

I think Mark touched on it, it would be boring on a regular basis to read accounts of uneventful passages. When posters share how things went pear shaped, that is when we all learn. It is then that CF shows its value. There are some great blue water sailors who post here and that makes it a good training ground for guys looking to reach that level. While there is no substitute for hands-on training, knowing what works helps!

As further evidence that it is the problems that make good reading, Slocums account of his circumnavigation is 172 pages on The Kindle ipad app. there are perhaps 50-60 pages that discuss the various passages. The balance of the book discusses the various port he called upon.

Just my observations on the issue...

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:29   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Don,

I think Mark touched on it, it would be boring on a regular basis to read accounts of uneventful passages. When posters share how things went pear shaped, that is when we all learn. It is then that CF shows its value.

You guys are preaching the the wrong person!

But I disagree that posting about uneventful passages are boring and not of use. Yes there is lots to learn from the "what went wrong" events, but that's all people read. It is therefore reasonable for fear to take over people's thoughts, which is my wife's "issue".

Heck here at CF we spend more time on fear related items than almost all other things combined. Not every topic needs to be "training" related, let's have some enjoyment.

So post some good stories! I bet there are lots of people out there looking to hear them that aren't willing to say so.
Old 01-01-2013, 15:56   #37

Once after getting slashed by a large wave at night I moved a line and it lit up!after contemplating my sanity I looked behind the boat to see the ocean being lit by luminescent plankton! The rudder was cutting a beautiful ribbon of light!OMG! LIFE IS GOOD!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:04   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
20+ dolphins illuminated by bio luminance ... Shooting stars and the caress of a tropical trade wind, the whoosh as she lifts to the sea .. The planet is a beautiful place.....

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 17:15   #39

Two AM I'm at the helm of a fifty foot Morgan sailing around the north end of the Big Island in Hawaii. All of a sudden I think I hear someone one breathing that's not me. Then realized it was a pod of Dolphins keeping me company in the middle of the night. That kind of stuff just does not happen on a highway on land.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dear mrs don lucas.....
please just go sailing. you will absolutely LOVE it--dont worry about the bs the folks try to convince you about--they are fos...you must know that--most are males....
smooth sailing, and have a great time.

btw--do learn how to fix engine, so mr don lucas has good dreams....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53   #41

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Here's a beautiful story from our cruise that never would have happened if we hadn't set sail:
Las Palmas, Huatulco - Romantic & luxurious with awesome views

Here's a horror story that was upsetting, to say the least:
Acapulco to Huatulco - A Disturbing Passage - Roads Less Traveled

Here's what it's like to live aboard at anchor in the tropics:
Life on the Hook in Mexico - Daily life cruising the Pacific coast

Here's a sea story about a very lively 260 mile passage:
Gulf of Tehuantepec - Squeezing in a Crossing Between Blows

Happy reading!!
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55   #42
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have written a book on my circumnavigation called "It was Nice. Nothing Bad Happened"
I followed your blog during the circumnavigation. I think the most interesting tirade was during the several days you were totally becalmed.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I followed your blog during the circumnavigation. I think the most interesting tirade was during the several days you were totally becalmed.
Perhaps it's the time when we were becalmed for about 7 days off India and these Mahi Mahi swam around the boat and wouldn't take bait or lure. I know Im a hopeless fisherman that that was rediculous! We must have made 30 different lures from chocolate wrappers, to gloves, Coke bottles... None of them worked, nor did the shop bought ones.

That was my horror story. Lol

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my horror stories include the amount of fuel i have remaining in and not in my tanks as i complete each leg of my trip......this past trip was closest--we finished with 1 1/2 ounces in a pail we transferred all fuel into as my tank size is unknown, and we arrived with almost none at all in bucket and only half the racor still filled......
or drifting for days--isnt a bad thing--as my starter didnt work anymore--when we stopped in cedros island for repairing it...these arent horror stories--we didnt have weather problems as i made sure the window was big enough to get me to where ineeded to go before it changed....kinda....
and the "cruiser" stealing my charts in mazatlan....but that wasnt a big deal.. much...
there is really no down side top cruising life...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Captain Ron said "if something bad happens its going to happen out there."
He was wrong.

If something bad can possibly happen its on an Internet forum.

I have a Whale and Dolphin identification book. Guess what's on the cover? A killer whale!
I remember in 2008, during the financial crises, an anchorman was about to talk to a reporter standing on Wall Street. In a tone of voice indicating both doom and glee at the same time (difficult to pull off unless you're an anchorman) : "Now over to Susie, who's standing outside the stock exchange. Susie, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

Note : Not what's the most likely thing, but the worst thing that could possibly happen.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote