Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 13:19   #1

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft
Horizontal Al propane tanks

In 2011 mention was made on this Forum of the fact that these horizontal tanks are exempt from the 1998 OPD regulations. This brought joy into our financial hearts as new tanks of this type are 400$ each at West Marine. The bleed valves on our tanks had seized and we needed to replace the valves

Gleefully we took one of our two tanks to the friendly folk at SWF Propane in Ft Myers and they said, yes we can do that for you. It will cost about 125$. We gulped and agreed.

When we returned some weeks later, as we had to make a visit to Canada, we brought the other tank, fortuitously just emptied, with us and expected to go back to GAIA with the newly refurbished and filled tank.

Imagine our disappointment when we were presented with the tank and demolished original valve, and told we cannot find a supplier for the valve!

Does anyone know of a supplier for these valves? Has anyone done this recently?

Jim and Helen sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 13:26   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Horizontal Al propane tanks

Did they damage the main valve or just a separate bleed valve?

A photo of the end of your cylinder would help. There have been a number of valve arrangements over the years.

Another fact to consider is that the new horizontal cylinders are larger due to the presence of a frame that was previously not used. Be sure the new style will fit if you decide to go that way.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 15:30   #3

OK will post pics tomorrow. The valve was actually cut in half on one tank and on the other a propane filling station in the Maldives removed my valve and put in their own when they could not open the bleed valve! Then filled it. This did not make me happy to put it mildly as of course i could not operate the tank horizontally.

Main problem and question is where to buy the valves with their 90 degree pickup tube. I have no intention to buy 800 dollars worth of tanks and will switch to glass or steel (ar 29$ each) if I cannot find the valves.

Jim
Old 04-11-2018, 15:46   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Is this the bleed valve you are looking for?
https://www.amazon.com/Motorhome-Pro.../dp/B007HRKRSO
https://www.ebay.com/i/171990125265?chn=ps
https://www.frankcondelli.com/stagin...product_id=709

The RV guys use them in horizontal tanks. https://roadtreking.com/innards-rv-propane-tank/

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:01   #5

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

A friend gave me an old horizontal aluminum propane tank. It had an old valve which I replaced with a recent vertical valve. The tank had to be recertified so I took it to my local propane company who recertified it no problem. Been using it for a year. I recently found old aluminum tanks at a flea market for $15. Recertification will be another $15. Keep your eyes open. The tanks are out there. Recertification is no big deal
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:03   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Back in the 80'S, i purchased my first Sail boat in singapore, a Laurent giles, designed Vertue, that had been built out of Teak in Singapore by Merton Brown, for a KIWI, i know i digress, but thought some would enjoy the story. The Vertue, named AOTEA, Maori for "land of long white cloud" Aotea was built to be sailed to England and do the canal's of Europe, which She did, with the young couple and their young child, after the voyage was completed, Aotea was shipped back to Asia as deck cargo, i found her in a back water, having been laying there for a few year', stripped of all valuable item's, the only reason She survived, was because She had been covered with Cascover, a cloth, and saturated with resin, so no worm got to her, anyway, i wanted a large Propane tank, which was not available, so had a one manufactured, I.E., took two tank's, cut the bottom off one and the top off the other, had them welded together and tested and certified, now these were Vertical tank's, and i wanted a horizontal one, what was the difference ?, so removed the valve from a horizontal tank and compared it to a vertical one, guess what, the only difference was the tube exiting the valve, the vertical one was straight and the horizontal one was bent to 90 Deg., allmost touching the top of the tank [inside], so i made a 90 Deg. pipe, silver soldered in place, and bobs your uncle, anyway, used that tank for many year's, was still on the Virtue, when sold, the only thing wrong with my plan, was the weight, when full, I.E., getting back on the boat, but it only had to be filled about every 6 month's, and this was living on board full time for the two of us.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I guess I did not make it clear. I need new complete valves for these tanks not the vents and have not been able to source them. Does anyone know where I can buy them?

Jim
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
A friend gave me an old horizontal aluminum propane tank. It had an old valve which I replaced with a recent vertical valve. The tank had to be recertified so I took it to my local propane company who recertified it no problem. Been using it for a year. I recently found old aluminum tanks at a flea market for $15. Recertification will be another $15. Keep your eyes open. The tanks are out there. Recertification is no big deal
When I suggested that to SWF Propane in Ft Myers they, understandably, would not do that. If someone connected a tank that appeared to be for horizontal use but had been fitted with a vertical valve, horizontally, the result would not have been pretty.

Might work if you removed the horizontal mounts but that defeats the purpose as GAIA is configured to have the tanks horizontal.

I said I would take pics but really do not see the point as one tank is minus a valve and the other has the valve cut in half. Why I do not know except perhaps they had trouble getting it out and gave up when they could not source replacements.

Jim
Old 05-11-2018, 11:21   #9

Try going to: Manchester Tank, mantank.com, Marine cylinders, Franklin, TN, they have a repair/service division that can help
MikeB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

The only service valves that are available for horizontal cylinders are the new ones that have the acme threads and an integral backcheck to prevent the service valve from being used for filling. The new cylinders have a separate fill valve, equipped with an OPD.

If you have enough space for vertical cylinders, that is probably your most cost effective way forward.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:09   #11

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
In 2011 mention was made on this Forum of the fact that these horizontal tanks are exempt from the 1998 OPD regulations. This brought joy into our financial hearts as new tanks of this type are 400$ each at West Marine. The bleed valves on our tanks had seized and we needed to replace the valves

Gleefully we took one of our two tanks to the friendly folk at SWF Propane in Ft Myers and they said, yes we can do that for you. It will cost about 125$. We gulped and agreed.

When we returned some weeks later, as we had to make a visit to Canada, we brought the other tank, fortuitously just emptied, with us and expected to go back to GAIA with the newly refurbished and filled tank.

Imagine our disappointment when we were presented with the tank and demolished original valve, and told we cannot find a supplier for the valve!

Does anyone know of a supplier for these valves? Has anyone done this recently?

Jim and Helen sv GAIA
I was in Miami last winter and had both my horizontal tanks valves changed and inspected and filled for $50 each... they are 1983 versions...
CaptPFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 14:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The only service valves that are available for horizontal cylinders are the new ones that have the acme threads and an integral backcheck to prevent the service valve from being used for filling. The new cylinders have a separate fill valve, equipped with an OPD.

If you have enough space for vertical cylinders, that is probably your most cost effective way forward.
Sorry but I'm confused. I'll have to go look at the boat but had new valves installed on my vertical AL tanks and I only recall two connections or fittings on top. One that is the service valive is for dispensing and filling. The other fitting on the top of the valve is the OP safety valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinder-valve-detail.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	180191  
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 15:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPFD View Post
I was in Miami last winter and had both my horizontal tanks valves changed and inspected and filled for $50 each... they are 1983 versions...
Ahh CaptPFD, that is the reply i was hoping for. Do you remember the outfit that did it for you? Or better yet where they got the valves?

Our tanks are bolted onto a steel deck and it is worth it to me to stick with the tanks. I am not looking for the most cost effective solution. Prefer the most efficient. Bolted horizontally to the deck they catch no lines, are almost invisible and very secure.

Thanks for that and of course for the others that have contributed.

I will post if I am successful in case anyone else wants to know.

Hope you can remember the outfit.

Jim
Old 05-11-2018, 15:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB. View Post
Try going to: Manchester Tank, mantank.com, Marine cylinders, Franklin, TN, they have a repair/service division that can help
Thank you Mike. I will follow that up tomorrow. Sounds promising.

Jim
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13   #15

A year or so ago there was a thread about different countries in the Pacific and their rules on filling propane tanks. If my memory serves me well , it seems some countries did not want to fill aluminum tanks and some didnt want to fill the frp tanks. The information may have come from the Cates. If anyone has knowledge of these rules please chime in. I would hate to spend money on something and find out it was un-usable. _____ Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tanks