Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 22:29   #76

Now you see what I meant the other day. About why I wanted to leave this country, Kai Nui.

If things keep getting worse. This country will look like shots from the movie Mad Max, or The Road Warrior?

I am a survivalist. I fight to win. And I fight to live. That is one of my motto's.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 04-10-2005, 22:35   #77
Kai Nui

Back when I was coming up, if you had a disagreement, you could punch each other out, and the winner would buy a beer for the loser, and life went on. Life sure has gotten allot more complex. Although, the pen is still mightier than the sword. This is one of those situations, that has to be addressed with politics, as our local fisherman friend found out.
Of course, I am sure you know the old adage, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:06   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Maritime Security: What Lies Ahead?
Maritime Safety and Security ~ by Joe Angelo (27.09.2005)
Goto: http://www.intertanko.com/about/presentations/

Some recently-enacted legislation and enforcement of existing legislation may have the potential of contributing to the unsafe operation of ships, and of tankers in particular, said Joe Angelo, INTERTANKO’s Director of Regulatory Affairs, at last week’s Maritime Cyprus 2005 Conference ‘Shipping: What Lies Ahead?’

Angelo emphasises from the start that INTERTANKO believes that any seafarer, or ship operator, that violates the law or willingly and knowingly contributes to the violation of the law, whether it be related to safety, security or protection of the marine environment, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

However his concern at the possible negative safety implications of some legislation and enforcement actions focuses on three items.

~ First the enactment of Canada’s Bill C-15 which may result in penalties, even in the absence of fault on the part of individual crew members, and could result in a ship’s master being charged for the criminal actions of his subordinates even if they had no knowledge of their actions.

~ Second the imposition by the European Directive on Ship-source Pollution of criminal sanctions against seafarers in the case of purely accidental incidents.

~ Third the boarding tactics used by the U.S. authorities when attempting to prosecute a case, that ultimately resulted in a ship’s Chief Engineer taking his life.

I hadn’t heard of this incident - can anyone inform me?

While acknowledging that there are many issues which lie ahead of the shipping industry, Angelo also focuses on the lack of commitment by flag states, coastal states and port states in ratifying and implementing new requirements and guidelines. If the largest maritime agency in the world, the U.S. Coast Guard, cannot keep pace with the IMO’s conventions, protocols, amendments and guidelines, how can we expect smaller maritime agencies to do so, asks Angelo?

He spotlights the failure of some countries to provide adequate reception facilities; the possibility of unilateral action over ballast water management; the identification of places of refuge.

He also asks whether the ISPS Code, which has been effectively implemented and enforced for the past 14+ months, is enough to satisfy maritime security concerns. An ongoing review by the U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO)of the vulnerabilities of maritime energy transport has involved INTERTANKO and the tanker industry. If the ISPS Code is deemed by the GAO to be inadequate, the U.S. may either seem improvements through the IMO, or it may consider urgent unilateral action to be necessary to protect U.S. interests. ‘The outcome of this study is of concern and a challenge to the tanker industry,’ says Angelo.

The full text of Joe Angelo’s presentation can be obtained on INTERTANKO’s website http://www.intertanko.com/about/presentations/

Old 08-10-2005, 12:30   #79

What In The World?

Hey Gord,

You know. This is the insanity that this world is coming too?

Before long. The governments will probably have satelites watching your every move next.

Actually, they are already tracking pedophiles by GPS bracelets here in the USA.

Next could be anybody?

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 08-10-2005, 16:16   #80
Kai Nui

Thanks GORD. It is interesting to see even the Coasties are saying new regs are being put in place faster than the means to enforce them.
Lots of good info on the link. I skimmed some of it, and it looks like there may be some usefull info there for my situation. One point I saw there that I have mixed feelings about is the responsibility of the Master. It has been established law since the beginning of maritime law that the ship's master is responsibile for the crew's actions. I have always agreed with this, however, with the increasing regs, it is allot harder to avoid violating them. THe concern over the ship's master being overburdened due to these added liabilities is valid. The fact that the master is determined to be guilty until proven inocent, is in direct violation of US due process. Although the specific regulation of concern is the Canadian one, as it is enforced by US law enforcement, and due process should apply.
In my own battle, I have hit some road blocks. THe most discouraging of which is the complete lack of support from local residents. Two points of view are prevelant. One is in the minority. That is the fearful support of the Coast Guard's actions by people that feel we could have a dirty bomb in our neighbor's boat. The other, is the opposite paranoia that is convinced that if we meet with the Coast Guard and agree to anything, i t will be a plot by the Coast Guard to give them more access to our property. I understand those who are living in fear, and want the government to come in to their homes to protect them from perceived threats, but the fact that so much paranoia towards the government exists should scare the heck out of the politicians. Scared people do not make rational decisions.

Old 08-10-2005, 17:14   #81

Yeah, Kai!

That's true about our politicans.

But it looks to me, in how the Coasties, in how they carry the law. It sounds like total overkill. At some points.

Their resources sounds like they are, mismanaged some how?

But, I'm not a politician. Nor do I work for the Coast Guard. Never have. Never will.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 08-10-2005, 17:17   #82
Kai Nui

Mismanagement seems to be an American credo these days. Oh well. Guess I'll just go sailing.

Old 08-10-2005, 17:24   #83

Boat: currently "on the beach"
so you are thinking that the politicians want people to make rational decisions ? to what benefit ?
fear and confusion are much better tools for getting what you want.... ain't it so , george ?.....
and apparently making it harder for you, kai nui, to get anything done. slow and steady. it's no fun if it's easy. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
Old 08-10-2005, 17:33   #84
Kai Nui

Yea, I guess that is what is considered a "radical". Someone who follows through. I guess the current, uh, leadership? would be very pleased at the paranoia and fear I have seen. Grumble Grumble.
Oh well. I will just keep plugging along. Initially I thought I was doing something for the local boating community, but I guess it is just for my own peice of mind.

Old 08-10-2005, 17:43   #85

Boat: currently "on the beach"
nope - for all the ones that won't. if you win, they will see it can be done. thats how people become empowered - someone leads. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
Old 08-10-2005, 17:46   #86
Kai Nui

Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a rough week. (mostly other issues, but this is the straw)

Old 08-10-2005, 17:58   #87
cruiser

Exactly..

Capt Lar is right on the money with this... the more fear and confusion found in the general population, the more apt they will be to vote for/support things like:

*The Patriot Act (what's patriotic about this??)
*War (against anyone who may or may not be connected to "threats" in the USA, and mostly to drive companies like Haliburton, etc...)
*Random Searches at 10:30PM

Leaders such as we have now actually count on this fear to help them put across laws that a secure, rational population would never accept.

It's a lot like the firearms thread that goes on and on... people want to bring massive amounts of firearms cruising because of fear.

Ok... sorry... I'm prone to rants when it comes to this political stuff.

Quote:
capt lar once whispered in the wind:
so you are thinking that the politicians want people to make rational decisions ? to what benefit ?
fear and confusion are much better tools for getting what you want.... ain't it so , george ?.....
and apparently making it harder for you, kai nui, to get anything done. slow and steady. it's no fun if it's easy. capt. lar
Old 08-10-2005, 19:13   #88
Kai Nui

No apology necessary. This is a maddening situation. Kinda like puting butter on burns. Try to tell someone that stil believes in it that they are causing more harm than good, and you will get a long history lesson. Oh well, no point in trying to escape, after all, the earth IS flat, an the moon landings happened on a Hollywood stage
Guess I'll go watch SNL. Nice to see Bush impersonations done with such accuracy

Old 08-10-2005, 20:58   #89

Ain't that the truth!!

SNL has always done well, by impersonating all of the presidents. Since the show was created.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 08-10-2005, 23:40   #90
Kai Nui

I agree. Of course, we have to be careful what is presented. Did you know that a measurable percentage of people interviewed a few years ago actually thought Martin Sheen was the president?
Ignorance and apathy. Hard to believe that in an educated society such things could be so prevalent.

Closed Thread