Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 19:08   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Most of a politicians time is spent figuring out how to get reelected and tossing verbal sh_t bombs at the opposition. Doing what the voters want does not seem to be very high on their priority list. Writing them does not do anything. Their interns are hostile towards those who call in that are in opposition to that particular politician. I am certain most of the emails get deleted before they are even opened. The only thing one can really do is vote for the least worse of them.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 05-11-2007, 22:41   #107

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Freedom to travel without interference from government authority is at the foundation of America. We have lost this fundamental right. Loss of freedom will greatly impact the recreational boater. Do what you can to resist, because it is only going to get worse.

It is quite clear, to those of us who have studied this topic for a few years, that the government of the United States is fighting a war OF terror, at home and abroad, rather than a war ON terror.

One million dead Iraqi civilians, in a country that had nothing what so ever to do with 9/11, should point you towards the real terrorists. The CIA reports that our activities in Iraq have generated more terrorists and made America less safe.

By the way, Bush stopped looking for Bin Laden a couple of years ago even though there have been reports of him in hiding Pakistan. There is actually little credible evidence that Bin Laden was even involved with 9/11, but I will leave it to the truth seekers to explore this further. Also, the Bush family and Bin Laden family are dear friends and business partners.

The good news is that Ron Paul raised nearly 4 million dollars in one day, today, so far!

He is the only candidate that will repeal the Patriot Act, enforce the Bill of Rights and eliminate the DHS. He is the only pro-Constitution candidate that can win the presidency.

The border with Mexico is wide open so please don't fall for the government is trying to protect you line. Those in power want Americans locked down in a police state.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:11   #108

Boat: Trismus 37
Interesting as to how other countries are reacting to the moves made by the US re security and patriot act type proceedures. If you look at noon site you will find that many of the laid back Pacific Nations are bringing increasingly stringent legislation re the "free" movement of yachts etc. A quick look at "the Coastal Passage" will give an insight into the activities of the Queensland water authorities, and their "turd" police, the penalties if they find one floating alongside your boat are horrendous, (do they do a dna check to make sure it one of yours? On a lighter note although it was a first for me I was pulled up by a NZ navy vessel (Kahu) about 10 miles out from Gt Barrier island on the way to Tutukaka, couldn't out run them 4 1/2 knots, head wind and sea but also I didn't know they were chasing me! as that has never happened before normally just a cheery wave as you wait for their wake to work you over. They came along side 30 metres and made the telephone sign to which I responded that the vhf was below and as I was single handing I didn't want to leave the tiller. They followed up with a command over a loud hailer that left me in no doubt that I better go below and get it, which I did. Upon making contact and going to channel 6 they wanted to know the yachts name, (written in Large letters on the side of the boat) port of registry (none, as not required in NZ unless you are cat 1 and going offshore) where I had come from (they watched me sail out of Fitzroy harbour) where I was heading and my home port.They said they were doing a swing through the area and were checking all boats, ( and the bugger on the bull horn had a pommy accent!) Now I am sure that this is a new thing in NZ and am sure we will see more of it in the future. I believe it is a direct result of how America has responded to the perceived terrorist threat post 9/11 and its expectations of its allies and friendly nations to support its "security" initiatives. Unfortunately this exposes most of us to the attention of those organisations that are supposedly there to help but who have morphed into something aproximating the people they would have it that they are protecting us from.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:10   #109
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I cherish our 'bill or rights' here in the USA, and will oppose all attempts to curtail them, no matter what reasons are given for doing so.

In this country there is a real danger as evidently the Patriot Act sailed through our congress without anyone actually reading it. I realize that is an assumption, but the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06   #110

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
So how many of you that have posted in this thread have written your congressman?
Congress cannot reverse Presidential Proclamations. Only Presidents can reverse Presidential Proclamations.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:14   #111

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
In this country there is a real danger as evidently the Patriot Act sailed through our congress without anyone actually reading it. I realize that is an assumption, but the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.
(Emphasis added.)

Well said.
Old 06-11-2007, 15:25   #112

Boat: NONE yet
First time I have seen this thread kinda scary, that they can just board you when ever they want. Any where else in the country they had better have a search warrant to be banging on your door at 10:30PM.

It scares me to think that the federal government can come into anyones home at any time they please under the guise of homeland security.

"When we start trusting a government that was not elected by us the terrorists win"

One day I was at Staple's and saw this odd looking SUV cruising the parking lot. Had some kind of camera (I say camera but looked more like a vehicle density scanner) (could have been a bomb sniffer) mounted on the roof facing the rear of all the cars in the parking lot and driving up each lane. The guy inside was watching something on the laptop mounted to the dash. I could only guess what this was.
Old 06-11-2007, 15:37   #113

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
One day I was at Staple's and saw this odd looking SUV cruising the parking lot. Had some kind of camera (I say camera but looked more like a vehicle density scanner) (could have been a bomb sniffer) mounted on the roof facing the rear of all the cars in the parking lot and driving up each lane. The guy inside was watching something on the laptop mounted to the dash. I could only guess what this was.

That would be a relatively new law enforcement tool that takes a video image of the license plate and runs the info through a database looking for vehicles "of interest". It's good stuff and very effective.
Old 06-11-2007, 17:19   #114
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Gang you have this all wrong....They were looking for weapons of MAST Destruction...(Sorry I couldnt resist.) reading all of this has made me punchy But thank god that most of us can escape quickly if or when need be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: