Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 13:32   #31

Re: Hitch install on a sportscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
The hitch is not designed for the S2K roadster. There are just a buch of universal hitches out there.They are really just recievers for bikes or maybe a wheelchair.Since I work for Honda.
Sorry man. I have never run into a dealer mechanic that knew much about these cars. I would never take my car to a Honda dealer for anything other than a car wash. Even then....
Sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 13:42   #32

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Yeah.I agree with you. All they do is throw parts at a car until they find the problem. The term mechanic is no longerused... anymore. Everyones call a technician now. Its all highly specialized an extremely technical. By the way I'm not an engine tech. But at least we found common ground. I say go for it....
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 13:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Edit: My point is that the weight is within the suspension's capabilities. Personally I would feel comfortable towing this package with 2 adults in the car, even though it may slightly exceed specifications. I would not, however, carry other heavy items in the car: put them in the boat.

Greg
Thanks Greg. Frankly, there isn't room in the car to carry much else.
Old 06-07-2013, 14:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
sf-
Perhaps you own a manual with the car?
I've seen comments on honda forums that the manual says NO TOWING and the entire payload capacity of the car is 400 pounds. Which is not surprising since old riceburners built as 4-5 seaters often had a gross load capacity of only 750 pounds.
My god. I have been using automotive forums ever since Gore invented the Internet, and list serves before that. Always hugely successful. Every problem posted on cars from Porsches, Lotus, Mercedes, and Honda's, I always received great advice.

First a dude telling me an S2000 has no frame and now a guy telling me that S2000 forums caution against trailer use. Please stop. I know opinions are like elbows (putting it generically), but it would be nice if you knew what you are talking about. There are many threads on S2000 sites about trailer hitches. Have seen s2000's pull up at Infinity raceway with trailers. Stop making it up.
Old 06-07-2013, 14:04   #35

Quote:
Yeah.I agree with you. All they do is throw parts at a car until they find the problem. The term mechanic is no longerused... anymore. Everyones call a technician now. Its all highly specialized an extremely technical. By the way I'm not an engine tech. But at least we found common ground. I say go for it....
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Cheers man.
Old 06-07-2013, 14:23   #36

Your car does not have a frame.It is a unibody.Nearly all cars now days are..maybe use the Google.There are many other forums that have told you everything.But your mind is made up.Just get out there and do it 20 or 30 times and report back.
Old 06-07-2013, 16:13   #37

[QUOTE=spraygun;1278634]Your car does not have a frame.It is a unibody. Nearly all cars now days are..maybe use the Google.There are many other forums that have told you everything.[/QUOTE>
Now I know that this is supposed to be a boat forum. Why I keep getting auto related posts, which I never asked for, I don't know. Most of the opinions are from guys who do not know what unibody means or that need to justify their gas guzzling SUV. You might try googling "high X-bone frame", in case a Honda customer asks.
Old 06-07-2013, 16:30   #38

Quote:
Your car does not have a frame.It is a unibody.Nearly all cars now days are..maybe use the Google.There are many other forums that have told you everything.But your mind is made up.Just get out there and do it 20 or 30 times and report back.
You are correct that, strictly speaking, an S2000 is a unibody design. However that is irrelevant to the question of towing. You do not need a chassis to tow, you simply need a structure that will support the load without deformation.

A unibody structure of equal weight is stronger than a vehicle with a chassis. Why do you think all vehicles with a separate chassis drive like crap? You can feel the structure flexing on every bump. Next time you are behind a pickup, watch the rear corners of the bed on a bump. You can see them shuddering due to the lack of structural rigididity.

Have you noticed that most new SUVs are switching to unibody structures? That's because they are better. Harder to engineer, sure, but better.

That hitch was designed by Curt for the Honda S2000 and they rate it for towing 2000 lbs when attached to an S2000 according to the instructions.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With the mast stepped???

Otherwise, cool...

Jim
Well, it's a problem when you come to bridges, but you sure save a lot of time at the boat ramp.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:35   #40

Boat: too many

Sfkjeld,

After researching the S2000 engine's dyno sheet I agreed that I was wrong and you will be able to pull out of a boat ramp without needing to slip the clutch. The S2000 is a fun little ride, for a mass produced car. Just to let you know my head and heart was in the right place when in the beginning I believed your car didn't poses the torque at a low enough rpm, other than misjudging your engine, I do come from a strong automotive background. Like your car, I prefer very light weight cars that corner well. I've built an open roadster that tips the scales at 1790 lbs, runs a Dart block 427 into a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed into a Jag IRS 3.54 and 31" tires. This is a street driven ride that can romp from a standstill to 155 mph in 9.7 seconds in a 1/4 mile.

Lets play at a local Northern California auto cross.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:44   #41

Well as much as I would like to debate body-on-frame is a more durable and smoother ride .Verses the unibody that takes all the bumps in the road.This really isn't the forum to do that. we don't want to get any more thread drift here.Lets give the man his chance.
Old 06-07-2013, 16:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sfkjeld,

After researching the S2000 engine's dyno sheet I agreed that I was wrong and you will be able to pull out of a boat ramp without needing to slip the clutch. The S2000 is a fun little ride, for a mass produced car.

Lets play at a local Northern California auto cross.
I have owned many sports cars over the years. The Hondas greatest feature is that it is a Honda. Nothing ever goes wrong. But it is relatively heavy, probably due to the "high x-bone frame" (that it supposedly does not have). Handling is mediocre, very twitchy. And learning to drive above 6k rpm is something I was never very comfortable with.

I think it will make a fine short distance tow vehicle for a small boat like a potter 15. Also, that it will be almost as cool as launching a boat with a Jaguar.
Old 06-07-2013, 17:00   #43

Boat: too many

Well the main thing is enjoy the boat, the tow vehicle will get it to the ramp and be able to pull the ramp. Keep us posted as to how it all goes for you. I was a bit surprised on the weight of the S2000, only 500 lbs lighter than a Corvette. I'm 1500 lbs lighter than a 'Vette with a lot more hp.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 17:12   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

From the Honda website:

"In order to achieve the desired level of frame stiffness, Honda engineers designed a new monocoque body with a centralized backbone frame for the S2000. This backbone tunnel is enclosed by the floor and runs down the center of the cockpit, between the driver's and passenger's seat. Large side sills provide additional strength. Diagonally braced front and rear bulkheads contribute to tying the frame members together into a strong beam-like structure that resists bending and torsional forces. Crossmembers running under the driver's and passenger's seat add additional stiffness.

The front and rear portions of the central frame and the side sills tie into diagonal braces (X-braces) at the rear of the cockpit and at the front cowl. These X-members connect directly to the front and rear suspension subframes.

Despite the front subframe's light weight and compactness, its overall lateral rigidity is quite high. In addition, the engine mount structure has been designed so as to minimize the effect of lateral movement in the frame, when cornering.

The rear subframe is a three-dimensional structure consisting of hollow steel pipes that connect the rear side members and floor tunnel to the upper and lower arms of the rear suspension. A deep-section, rear crossmember ties the beams together and anchors the rear of the differential."

i.e. it's a unibody vehicle. But as pointed out that does not mean much in and off itself. If it did, all boat owners would be driving pick-ups and Tahoes.

What I'm more concerned about how much of the vehicle you'll need to put in the water to launch and retrieve the boat. The S2000 is looooow.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 17:15   #45

Hah, didn't know that. Only 500 lbs lighter than a Corvette? It's a Japanese 2 seater tank!