Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2007, 03:45   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
There are a lot of these diesel stoves available in the UK, as there is a big demand for them for canal narrowboats. Have a look here:

Harworth Heating Ltd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 04:01   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

Yes, it's not as cold here but I don't see that it makes that much difference. I really can't operate the stove at a setting higher than maybe 4 (on a 1 to 9 scale) continuously without it getting excessively hot. That would be in water that is 45 degrees F. The air temp make be a small factor but the water temperature is where the serious cold comes from.

Paul, this might explain things a lot. It's 40 degrees out today for me. The diesel heater has no trouble heating my living space at this temperature. It's when it gets below freezing that you start feeling the effects. Specifically, as it dips below 20, it really gets cold.

So... if your water is 45, maybe that means you only need the 16,000 btu or less (lower settings) to keep warm. I'm toasty warm today at 40 degrees on setting number 2.

Air temp is a large factor for my current application, so imagine your boat sitting in 17 degree water (with antifreeze in the water I suppose - ha ha). This weekend, it's supposed to get down to 10. I hope the new wood stove arrives before then!

What surprises me is: Isn't this Dickinson made in Canada? Isn't it cold up there??? Maybe they intend it as a spring/fall heater.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 09:23   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Boracay, (quote "until the butter melts") there is a point commonly known as "waypoint butter" SW of the canaries, where pond hoppers turn for the Caribbean. . . good name I thought. . .
Old 25-08-2010, 02:18   #19

Boat: Catalac 12 Meter (41') Angel Louise
Send a message via Skype™ to Angel Louise
We recently got back from two winters in the tropics - taking our Catalac as far south as Venezuelan and ABC waters where heaters were not needed. We are in market for a heater for cold weather climes for this year and next, and would appreciate any more updates on best unit to buy and install. We expect to have really cold wx in one more winter by being in area where temps are in low 30 degree area over winter months. Diesel seems our best bet for fuel as we do not think we will always be at dock and we are full time cruisers. Any updates or suggestions on boat heat? Ed and Sue on Angel Louise in Gloucester, Mass.
Old 26-08-2010, 03:51   #20

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Has anyone put one of those pellet stoves in there boat? Thay have some that will burn damn near anything from cherry pits to grain and little wooden pellets to charcoal chips. The cool thing with those stoves is you can rig them with a thermostat that controls the airflow/rate of combustion and the 12V augger that feeds whatever your burning to keep the tempature in the cabin reasonably consistent. So has anybody got one and does it work as good as it sounds like it should?
Old 26-08-2010, 05:38   #21

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I'd never considered a pellet burner as a stove but there's a pellet burning barbecue at my cottage. It work really well but needs a power connection and dry fuel. I'm not convinced it would work at sea which is why it's at the cottage

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel