Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 04:04   #16

Boat: beneteau OC 352
Re: HEY ALL YOU SCIENCE GEEKS!..

Enough with these pesky unreliable compasses, back to the sextant!

knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 13:54   #17

The US Coast Guard updates charts weekly.

Rough Magic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 14:47   #18

I suggest you take some sort of course such as the Coast Guard offers on navigation. Lots of stuff on a chart that will tell you how to not sink.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 16:16   #19

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I'm absolutely great at navigation by paper chart when I'm close to land with all the channel markers and visual references. It'd be tough to find a sailor that can match me in the ICW or Chesapeake Bay finding my way around.

I'd be bloody screwed without a GPS on a crossing. I don't know how to navigate by the stars. I'm almost sure I could DR myself to right country if that piece of dirt were big enough. Right inlet? Not. A. Chance. In. Heaven.
Old 24-05-2019, 05:45   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Our great grandfathers communicated with flags and semaphores and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our grandfathers communicated with Morse Code and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our fathers communicated with VHF and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
We communicate with Cellphones and Skype, and think that it is the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our kids will communicate by satellite and will think that it is the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our grandkids will communicate with technologies as yet unknown, and think that all earlier methods were "Cave Man".

Maybe it is time to put the paper charts away.
Just sayin'
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 06:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Our great grandfathers communicated with flags and semaphores and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our grandfathers communicated with Morse Code and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our fathers communicated with VHF and thought that it was the latest and greatest technology ever.
We communicate with Cellphones and Skype, and think that it is the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our kids will communicate by satellite and will think that it is the latest and greatest technology ever.
Our grandkids will communicate with technologies as yet unknown, and think that all earlier methods were "Cave Man".

Maybe it is time to put the paper charts away.
Just sayin'
Ever hear the story about the guy in a beautiful power cruiser who set his auto- pilot for his destination waypoint and then went below for a nice nap ? Problem was that there was a long jetty in between him and that waypoint. Crunch city. Yeah, he put his charts away.
Old 24-05-2019, 06:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Ever hear the story about the guy in a beautiful power cruiser who set his auto- pilot for his destination waypoint and then went below for a nice nap ? Problem was that there was a long jetty in between him and that waypoint. Crunch city. Yeah, he put his charts away.
If the jetty was on the paper charts, it should have also been on the electronic charts.

And....What the heck was he doing asleep "at the watch"?
Old 24-05-2019, 06:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
If the jetty was on the paper charts, it should have also been on the electronic charts.

And....What the heck was he doing asleep "at the watch"?
Well hey, this is America, you have every right to burn those paper charts ! Rely solely on that electric gadget. Happy sailing.
Old 24-05-2019, 06:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Well hey, this is America, you have every right to burn those paper charts ! Rely solely on that electric gadget. Happy sailing.
Nope, sorry

Canada.
Old 24-05-2019, 08:46   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes it’s true I hardly pull out my paper charts, and usually more for just refreshing my memory for trip planning, but you’ll not wrest them from my cold dead hands!!
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes itís true I hardly pull out my paper charts, and usually more for just refreshing my memory for trip planning, but youíll not wrest them from my cold dead hands!!
Actually, I keep mine as a backup.
Just in case......
Old 24-05-2019, 09:31   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The first means of communication was, of course, the human voice; but about 3,200 BC writing was invented in Iraq and Egypt. It was invented about 1,500 BC in China. Other civilizations in central America like the Mayans also invented systems of writing.
The next major improvement in communication was the invention of printing. The Chinese invented printing with blocks in the 6th century AD but the first known printed book was the Diamond Sutra of 686. In Europe in the mid-15th century Johannes Gutenberg invented the movable printing press.
The first newspapers were printed in the 17th century.
The telegraph was invented in 1837. A cable was laid across the Channel in 1850 and after 1866 it was possible to send messages across the Atlantic.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1876. The first telephone line from Paris to Brussels was established in 1887. The first line from London to Paris opened in 1891. The first transatlantic telephone line opened in 1927. In 1930 a telephone link from Britain to Australia was established.
In 1901 Marconi sent a radio message across the Atlantic.
Television was invented in 1925. BBC began regular, high definition broadcasting in 1936. TV was suspended in Britain during World War II but it began again in 1946. Commercial TV began in the USA in 1941, in Australia in 1956, and in New Zealand in 1960.
In 1960 the first communications satellite, Echo (a passive spacecraft based on a balloon design) was launched. Telstar was launched in 1962.
The laser printer was invented by Gary Starkweather in 1969.
Bell Labs introduced the idea of portable communications in 1947, but their first systems were limited to car phones, which required roughly 30 pounds of equipment in the trunk.
Martin Cooper invented the first handheld cell phone in 1973, and Motorola brought it to market in 1983. In April of 1973, Cooper dialed the number of his chief competitor Dr. Joel S. Engel at AT&T, saying: "Joel, this is Marty. I'm calling you from a cell phone, a real handheld portable cell phone."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:39   #28

Thanks Gord.
That reminds me of "2001 A Space Odyssey".

Old 24-05-2019, 10:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The first means of communication was, of course, the human voice...

Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 22:28   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Quoting Ann:
"PS. Just my opinion, but I think it is easier to conceptualize the geography involved using paper charts, all the detail is right there, your eye zooms on it automatically, you see what you have to change scale to see if using electronic charts. ....and incidentally, getting paper charts wet with sea water does not necessarily destroy them: we got some wet on a trip, and dried them in the cockpit over a few days. The ink stayed fast, didn't run, and the paper dried out. There's a lot of chat on the internet to the effect that all your charts must be up to date, but the truth of the matter is that the rocks and hazards don't move much, or fast, for the most part, although man may add new ones, but those are usually lit."

Exactly !
I use my paper charts for planning a trip.
The current chart is always available and open during the trip for reference as needed and I track the trip on it in pencil as we go.

If I ever lose my plotter I can go to the up to date chart and proceed from there using the GPS.

If the GPS fails too I can get out the sextant....or if land is in sight, use the radar to determine my position.
Besides the safety issue of always having the paper charts.... I enjoy the added perspective as well as the physical plotting of the trip.

During the Around the World Race 2017 2018 the vessel Greenings ran aground on a reef off of E. Africa. Turns out the plotter was zoomed out too far to show the reef. No one had checked a paper chart.

Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc