Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2003, 13:09   #1

Talking Here I go again !!

Several points of conversation/ controversy/ interest/ sleep aids!
1. I know that multihull owners are good people and quite knowlegable. But I must admit that to me, when I see a multihull I think of a floating tabletop and a toy. I am just NOT convinced that multihulls are a serious craft ! I warn you multihull owners that choose to respond that I am fully capable of running a short distance away ( 20 - 30 yards) to save my physical well-being!
2. Stede brought it home to me with his search for a blue water cruiser that ALL blue water cruisers will cost an unknown number of bucks to haul a persons fundiment out on the cruel ocean. Either buying new or buying used and upgrading. How MUCH do you gurus' of the loooooooooooong range trip figger is sensible to spend total- new or cost of upgrading, to get a person from point " A" to point "B" with 2 point 3 chilluns and the Significant other ? oK-- How much per Human Unit should a Totally Inept person figger for an average life style to cross from USA to Great Britian, what say Ye ?
3. How many here harbor a secret desire to tell a Naval Architect to design it THIS way, using THIS material, and be sure to tell the Boat Builder to do it this way. ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND be able to pay for it.
4. Describe what you REALLY expect out of long range cruising. Is it the attractiveness of being where you can finally " FIND YOURSELF", looking at out of the ordinary( as far as whats normal HERE) cultures and attitudes and comparing them to previous experience, or using it to give yourself an "IN " to amaze friends, relatives, and new acquaintences ? !
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 16:32   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Howdy 29cascadefixer,

Well, you know I'm not a multi-huller,so I won't even try to answer for them, or I guess I would be running with you for self preservation.I've been aboard a few multihulls at boat shows,and I really liked what I saw.I've never sailed on one,so I don't know how well I would like the sailing characteristics of one.Maybe one day I'll get a chance.

As far as how much money it takes to go from point A to B, I asked that question some time back myself.Several long range cruisers were kind enough to point out to me that there are many variables,(how much you eat out,how much you dock in,boat repairs,etc,etc.) to really give a definite answer.One figure I've heard mentioned numerous times is $15K/yr. I think that's probably a modest estimate.I've also read where a couple managed on $50/wk. I guess there were plenty cans of beenie weenies in their cupboard.

Why do the long range thing? Well to me, it's the excitement of the many new land falls at strange,exotic places,and the freedom of being under sail.I've always loved to travel on land. Even though I was perfectly happy at home,I ran away when I was 11 years of age seeking adventure.I headed for the coast,stayed gone for a couple of weeks,then returned home to receive my just reward.My poor mother has been trying to understand her "problem child" ever since.The sea is a further extension of travel and freedom for me.The only comparisons I can think of in regard to the freedom under sail, are when I used to ride my purebreed Arabian horse across the ridges of Wyoming,or when I used to crank up a couple of different Harleys I've had and ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the NC mountains.The exhilaration I experienced doing those things was like injecting a straight shot of adrenaline to my soul.Sailing in open water is like that for me.

When chartering boats in the Caribbean,there's a certain sweet musty,aroma you sense as you approach the islands.I suspect it's just the smell of the tropical land.Once you've smelled it,you never forget it.You desire to smell it again.As far as culture,meeting new and different people is interesting,and it gives you new perspectives concerning your own life,and how we all should fit in together on God's green/blue earth. While sailing in Greece, the history of the area,the food,and culture were alluring.Each place I've gone,I've wanted more.The Keys,Bahamas,Abacos, they're all so different,the excitement of seeing a new island always holds the promise of new adventure.I could go on,an on, but maybe someone else will chime in here that has more sea miles than me
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2003, 19:54   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Costs

In the US a Cascade 36 costs about $35 to 40 grand, some are more. In NZ a good 36 foot boat is about the same. Add some more $$ for your own peronal stuff. The most well thought out cost per year I have seen said $24000- I am sure you can spend more or less depending on your style and where you sail. Just like living on land, there is a big range in how much is spent.
BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote