Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 12:07   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Oh boy ... call me naive (my American friends tell me one has to watch out for law suits when helping a neighbor) but there is just NO WAY I could walk past a boat like that and do nothing about it ... just no way!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:11   #32

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
I think its a real shame to see what happened to that boat while people just watched....maybe those owners were away and couldnt get to it....too bad
Unfortunately, the potential for liability makes it impossible to secure another persons boat without their consent. Had they secured the boat and any damage occurred, they could be liable. Sad, but that it the case in our litigious society here in the US.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:17   #33

A few years ago I happened upon a very large sailing cat at the dock. No one to be found on the boat or dock so I hoppped aboard to secure the forestay which was swinging in the wind. I knew what I was doing yet in the back of my mind was the thought that I would be financially liable. Of course we are liable for our workmanship but that is separate concern.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:22   #34

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
A few years ago I happened upon a very large sailing cat at the dock. No one to be found on the boat or dock so I hoppped aboard to secure the forestay which was swinging in the wind. I knew what I was doing yet in the back of my mind was the thought that I would be financially liable. Of course we are liable for our workmanship but that is separate concern.
Sad, but unfortunately true. Also, as much as we all love our boats they are just THINGS, not people. To equate a reluctance to secure an unsecured vessel risking huge personal financial liablity or personal injury to failing to render aid to an injured person is hyperbole in the extreme.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Sad, but unfortunately true. Also, as much as we all love our boats they are just THINGS, not people. To equate a reluctance to secure an unsecured vessel risking huge personal financial liablity or personal injury to failing to render aid to an injured person is hyperbole in the extreme.
Very sad. In Cape Town I often saw boats in distress at the dock ... would call over some mates and we would get it tied up and secured ... never a thought of EVER having a legal problem from the owner ... just how many beers he owed us at the club house We would also be sure to make the owner aware of his neglect which hopefully was a means to embarrass him into being more diligent next time around
Old 29-08-2012, 12:32   #36

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Bless you, Target! I've lived in NO and know how scary it can be. Take good care of that pretty little Westsail. They are my favorite.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:33   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox
I think its a real shame to see what happened to that boat while people just watched....maybe those owners were away and couldnt get to it....too bad
Remember the first time this was noticed was after dark in high winds and waves.
There's no way I'd risk my butt for someone else's boat when they couldn't be bothered to pull off the canvas and double the lines. If they were well tied already and a line popped, sure, but not to find their extra lines at night in a storm.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Remember the first time this was noticed was after dark in high winds and waves.
There's no way I'd risk my butt for someone else's boat when they couldn't be bothered to pull off the canvas and double the lines. If they were well tied already and a line popped, sure, but not to find their extra lines at night in a storm.
Yeah ... I can understand that too !

Are there no Marina contact numbers for emergencies and do they not have telephone numbers for each owner of the yacht? Was the owner notified?
Old 29-08-2012, 12:42   #39

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Glad to be in a marina that goes around and checks every boat multiple times. If the owner is not available, they double-up all the lines and make sure that every boat is secure.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:44   #40

Boat: OEM, proportional

I wouldn't think much at all of a "neighbour" that sat and watched as my boat ground itself to powder. Hearing his excuse as "I was afraid you'd sue me" wouldn't improve the assessment. I'd also be wary of such a man, since if that is his thinking, he might be amenable to a little frivolous litigation himself. But then, I hate the term "marina" and all it entails, and feel much safer the further away from "civilisation" I can get. The sea or the bush are
not inherently malicious.
Old 29-08-2012, 12:47   #41

Question Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Glad to be in a marina that goes around and checks every boat multiple times. If the owner is not available, they double-up all the lines and make sure that every boat is secure.
Yeah, I would think that in an innovative country such as the USA there would be ways to get around the 'legal worries'. Surely a well managed marina would have the owners sign away their rights to claim if in a storm situation the owner cannot be reached on a first call, then the procedure is ...... and secure the boat as best possible!
Old 29-08-2012, 12:47   #42

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Very sad. In Cape Town I often saw boats in distress at the dock ... would call over some mates and we would get it tied up and secured ... never a thought of EVER having a legal problem from the owner ... just how many beers he owed us at the club house We would also be sure to make the owner aware of his neglect which hopefully was a means to embarrass him into being more diligent next time around
Now here's a good sailor....at my marina everyone looks out for each other. As isaac was coming thru i went down to the marina to check on things and there were two other guys there already checking on my boat and other boats of people they knew were away....my neighbor and another who does contract work there....several guys checking on boats b4 dark to make sure everyone was ok and ready....a great bunch of guys
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Yeah ... I can understand that too !

Are there no Marina contact numbers for emergencies and do they not have telephone numbers for each owner of the yacht? Was the owner notified?
And im sure the other boats were tied up before dark....so it was probably known before dark that this boat was not secure
Old 29-08-2012, 12:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Now here's a good sailor....at my marina everyone looks out for each other. As isaac was coming thru i went down to the marina to check on things and there were two other guys there already checking on my boat and other boats of people they knew were away....my neighbor and another who does contract work there....several guys checking on boats b4 dark to make sure everyone was ok and ready....a great bunch of guys
... and a way to grow a 'closer community' of sailing people which makes this all so much more fun after all!
Old 29-08-2012, 12:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
I wouldn't think much at all of a "neighbour" that sat and watched as my boat ground itself to powder. Hearing his excuse as "I was afraid you'd sue me" wouldn't improve the assessment. I'd also be wary of such a man, since if that is his thinking, he might be amenable to a little frivolous litigation himself. But then, I hate the term "marina" and all it entails, and feel much safer the further away from "civilisation" I can get. The sea or the bush are
not inherently malicious.
Ah....but it makes an exciting you tube video doesnt it