Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2012, 21:56   #76

Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53hemi View Post
man - my live aboard is on pier one. i'm on vacation at my parents place in NY with my return flight cancelled until Saturday. I hope and pray somebody had the decency to check on my boat.

Hemi, PM the slip your boat is in and I'll try to check on it if I can get back out there again.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 00:37   #77

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Target, don't worry about the critics -- most no doubt had good intentions but didn't know all the faces, and maybe there was a bit of "armchair sailoring" going on as well.
I do appreciate the tip that has been given out here and there, that a text message is more likely to get through when communications are strained, and imposes less of a burden on the system.

A couple of questions that maybe haven't been asked are, Does your marina have a decent storm plan? And did marina employees try to do anything about neglected boats before they had to leave the marina?
Be safe.

Old 30-08-2012, 01:02   #78
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
There are, but in a hurricane all bets are off. The city even shuts down most emergency services once the winds go over a certain point. What would the marina owner do? Call them? The marina staff is probably evac'd or in a place without power anyway.

What could the owner do? Everything is closed and its illegal to enter the marina. The gates are shut, both the flood gates and the marina gates themselves. And even if they weren't, what type of idiot goes out into the harbor in the middle of 70+mph winds. (the answer is me, this type of idiot). But not many would, and I cannot condone anyone actually doing it.

Finally, what would you say to an emergency number? Hey coast guard, like 30 boats are in trouble! The coastie would laugh at you. Its the middle of a hurricane, lives are more important than boats. Everyone is busy.

In my marina you would be able to get to your boat (depending on water rise of course). They close the marina to traffic when the wind reaches 35 mph -- and then at that time, people are encouraged to come down and do things like spider-web their boats.

I'm truly sorry for those in Isaac's path but glad that once again a storm swerved away from here.
Old 30-08-2012, 01:08   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Some of the problem is that in this marina... Is that there are many many boats that have owners that are varying degrees of negligent. There were probably over 50 boats that needed "help" before the storm. As it was, Dani and I made it out there with only about 4 hours to work before the flood gates got shut down. We had enough time to take care of our boat and that was about it.

If it were one or two boats that needed a hand it would be one thing, but when its half a harbor you've got real issues. Who do you decide to help?

We're doing the best with what we can. So far I've contacted everyone I can and even responded to some readers of our blog to check on various boats far away from our own.

Its extremely sad to watch this happen. My soul has been rained on.

That's right. In the path of a storm most people have their homes as well as their boats (and their cars, and themselves, and their pets, and loved ones) to worry about.

I do have friends here who would look out for my boat as best they could if I were, like some here, out of town, but I also recognize that they have many very serious personal demands at such a time.

I helped a friend move his boat from an anchorage to a mooring field. I don't know what happened in the anchorage, but even in a proven mooring field a couple of boats broke loose, where they of course hit other boats. It didn't take half an hour to put four fresh lines on the mooring ball, but not everyone secured their boats. Maybe they had too much faith in the mooring, I don't know.
Old 30-08-2012, 11:53   #80

Probably my last "emergency" update. Things are finally calming down. Hemi take a look.

Sundowner Sails Again
Old 30-08-2012, 19:27   #81

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

Target900, You and all of our fellow lovers of the sea on the Gulf Coast are in our prayers. We have our boat on the Texas coast and have done the Hurricane batton down 4 or 5 times. Thankfully our boat has always survived. I hope you'll post when you find your ship safe and sound.
Old 30-08-2012, 20:22   #82

Thanks so much Sunchaser. I think we are probably alright at this point. Thinks seem to be settling down. Finally!

Sundowner Sails Again
Old 30-08-2012, 23:47   #83

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Probably my last "emergency" update. Things are finally calming down. Hemi take a look.
Now that's the way I have always perceived fellow sailors to be ... looking out for each other ... respect
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 01:04   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
All i know is no matter what...the guys i know would have had rope in hand....not a video camera
So totally agree with you, and afterwards who is to know that it was me or thee that secured the boat?

You are only adding a line to secure it you are not taking charge and responsibility, thank god in Australia we have good samaritan provisions.....
Old 31-08-2012, 02:02   #85

Mimsy, regarding your post #34, it was not my intention to equate saving property to that of coming to the aid of a person. Life, limb, property...in that order.
Old 31-08-2012, 02:14   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
So totally agree with you, and afterwards who is to know that it was me or thee that secured the boat?

You are only adding a line to secure it you are not taking charge and responsibility, thank god in Australia we have good samaritan provisions.....
I think that he has answered that statement adequately for me.

Coops.
Old 31-08-2012, 03:50   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Quote:
"This is what happens when you don't tie up your boat..."

help each other out guys.....
Old 31-08-2012, 05:09   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

There are Good Samaritan laws here too, but I have only known them to apply to people providing aid to people. While I would like to think it would apply in this situation, I've also had people "retie my boat for me" -- badly.

There's only one person I have given permission to retie my boat, and that's the dockmaster at my marina.
Old 31-08-2012, 05:19   #89

With respect to the OP i'll start another thread because the subject of assistance interests me. Cheers Frank
Old 31-08-2012, 08:38   #90

You folks do realize we were trying right?

Sundowner Sails Again

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: