Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 15:18   #61
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Yeah ... I can understand that too !

Are there no Marina contact numbers for emergencies and do they not have telephone numbers for each owner of the yacht? Was the owner notified?

There are, but in a hurricane all bets are off. The city even shuts down most emergency services once the winds go over a certain point. What would the marina owner do? Call them? The marina staff is probably evac'd or in a place without power anyway.

What could the owner do? Everything is closed and its illegal to enter the marina. The gates are shut, both the flood gates and the marina gates themselves. And even if they weren't, what type of idiot goes out into the harbor in the middle of 70+mph winds. (the answer is me, this type of idiot). But not many would, and I cannot condone anyone actually doing it.

Finally, what would you say to an emergency number? Hey coast guard, like 30 boats are in trouble! The coastie would laugh at you. Its the middle of a hurricane, lives are more important than boats. Everyone is busy.
__________________

__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:18   #62
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Oh boy ... call me naive (my American friends tell me one has to watch out for law suits when helping a neighbor) but there is just NO WAY I could walk past a boat like that and do nothing about it ... just no way!

I would certainly try to reach the owner, and if my boat were next to his AND I could get on his boat safely, I might try to fix it to protect my own boat... but it's dangerous to go climbing on boats during a storm. I wouldn't put myself at risk to try to save someone else's boat.

Problem is that lines often have to be adjusted throughout a storm. What's right at the moment might be all wrong six hours later. It's difficult to secure a boat to a dock for a hurricane.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:20   #63
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Remember the first time this was noticed was after dark in high winds and waves.
There's no way I'd risk my butt for someone else's boat when they couldn't be bothered to pull off the canvas and double the lines. If they were well tied already and a line popped, sure, but not to find their extra lines at night in a storm.

Exactly.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:21   #64
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Glad to be in a marina that goes around and checks every boat multiple times. If the owner is not available, they double-up all the lines and make sure that every boat is secure.

yes -- me too. I had help from the dockmaster when preparing for Isaac -- ou'd be surprised how rough it got here -- Isaac was a BIG storm. A neighbor was the one who noticed that my spring line was wrong (because it had been stolen!)
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:38   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,778
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Here Comes Isaac

target--ye did good--in a hurrycame, even a cat 1-2, as is isaac, there is no way to use regular foning as emergency use only is in effect. will be much traffic and those who didnt go to fix boats had a week of notice before it hit. is a good thing isaac wasnt a huge cat 5.
uscg in emergency?? you are best off using self. sorry -- is fact. emergency services are way too overloaded in storms to count on them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 16:27   #66
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
target--ye did good--in a hurrycame, even a cat 1-2, as is isaac, there is no way to use regular foning as emergency use only is in effect. will be much traffic and those who didnt go to fix boats had a week of notice before it hit. is a good thing isaac wasnt a huge cat 5.
uscg in emergency?? you are best off using self. sorry -- is fact. emergency services are way too overloaded in storms to count on them.


Phone service is not deliberately disrupted to "emergency use only" where I live (squarely within hurricane country). In addition I have been in numerous hurricanes and have never seen phone service reserved for emergency use only. I guess different areas do things differently, but while the storm itself can disrupt communications, I've never seen phone usage reserved for emergency use only in a hurricane.

For some time the area where I live (Tampa Bay area) was squarely in Isaac's crosshairs, and we remained in the "cone of concern" for some time. The marina secured itself for hurricane or tropical storm. The media was wall-to-wall with advice on what to do. At no time did they announce that any form of communication would be reserved for emergency personnel.

In addition, I have a good friend who was directly in Isaac's path, in the Florida keys. She called a friend in this area periodically throughout the storm with updates.

It may be true some places but it is apparently not true in Florida. However, you can't count on the service working because hurricanes can take out communications equipment, including cell towers.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 16:49   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,778
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Here Comes Isaac

raku--WHERE DID I SAY DELIBERATELY CUT OFF??

intelligent souls do not make fone calls in emergency situations unless is life or death. is why the circuits are ALL BUSY when ye try to contact souls living in the zones. emergency personnel already know this and have alternate communication in emergencies, did you know that??????
i was made triage person in lost angeles for riot--we had to use alternative commo as the fones were not reliable. same in a bad storm. is not advertised, but is done.
try being a rescue provider without anyway to effect the rescue--need commo for every step. we used radios for this in riot situations. is never announced to not use fones, but you WILL hear the message that "all circuits are busy. please try your call again later."
is exactly same for storm situations--any national disaster.
storm watchers know where the dead center of the storm was to be--i am a storm watcher.

you do contradict yourself a lot--here is your quote of the day----
"it may be true some places but it is apparently not true in Florida. However, you can't count on the service working because hurricanes can take out communications equipment, including cell towers."

your quote reinforces the fact you do not read the posts you criticize. you just reiterated that which i said despite telling me i am fos..LOL.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 16:59   #68
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
raku--WHERE DID I SAY DELIBERATELY CUT OFF??

intelligent souls do not make fone calls in emergency situations unless is life or death. is why the circuits are ALL BUSY when ye try to contact souls living in the zones. emergency personnel already know this and have alternate communication in emergencies, did you know that??????
i was made triage person in lost angeles for riot--we had to use alternative commo as the fones were not reliable. same in a bad storm. is not advertised, but is done.
try being a rescue provider without anyway to effect the rescue--need commo for every step. we used radios for this in riot situations. is never announced to not use fones, but you WILL hear the message that "all circuits are busy. please try your call again later."
is exactly same for storm situations--any national disaster.
storm watchers know where the dead center of the storm was to be--i am a storm watcher.

you do contradict yourself a lot--here is your quote of the day----
"it may be true some places but it is apparently not true in Florida. However, you can't count on the service working because hurricanes can take out communications equipment, including cell towers."

your quote reinforces the fact you do not read the posts you criticize. you just reiterated that which i said despite telling me i am fos..LOL.


Twist it however you want, Zee. The fact is that anyone is free to use his or her phone in a hurricane in Florida. Mother nature may intervene and interrupt service, but what you said wasn't true.

By the way, I don't agree that phone service "should" be limited to "life and death" situations. Emergency workers won't be able to come and get someone who should have evacuated but did not. However, a phone call to a friend might lead to an intelligent solution to a problem, or reassurance to someone who is alone. People might use their phones to check in with each other.

There is no rule about how one uses the phone during a hurricane. If the lines are up, you can use your phone for whatever purpose you want.

My friend was glad to hear from his sweetheart periodically and know that she was safe.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 17:10   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,778
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Here Comes Isaac

there is no ruing saying there is no fone service but i bet ye wont get thru when ye need to ..LOL...is easy to overload circuits. i am glad you were able to make calls in a hurrycame--glad for you also it wasnt in your neighborhood. had it been in your area, you would not have been able to get thru. even on cellular. btdt.

there used to be warnings to public not to use fone in a disaster as the emergency services are having difficulty dealing with commo. is a very good thing tampa bay was spared. no disaster, no problem. you lucked out. not everyone did.

the gods know when to avoid areas of difficulty.

flamer, the only one twisting anything is you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 18:46   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1972 Grampian G26
Posts: 14
Re: Here Comes Isaac

man - my live aboard is on pier one. i'm on vacation at my parents place in NY with my return flight cancelled until Saturday. I hope and pray somebody had the decency to check on my boat.
__________________
53hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 18:54   #71
Registered User
 
goldiphlox's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Myers Fl
Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24
Posts: 169
Images: 1
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53hemi View Post
man - my live aboard is on pieer one. i'm on vacation at my parents place in NY with my return flight cancelled until Saturday. I hope and pray somebody had the decency to check on my boat.
See now...this is just my point....and i would like to apologize to the original poster as i didnt mean it as a personal attack against your character....maybe you were there to late....and you couldnt do anything...i understand....my thoughts are just that everyone knew the storm was coming and had plenty of time to secure the boats....someone must have seen that this boat was not secure in time to secure it better....?? Maybe the owner is sick or maybe away....who knows....like this guy here....sorry...i hope someone DID check on your boat for u...
I thought my marina was a bit pricey but seeing the dockmaster walk the docks morning noon and night checking on all the boats makes me feel good about being there
__________________
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:14   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 382
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Thanks for your follow-up comments Target. Fair enough. You did what you could. The vid is a great cautionary tale for folks to make sure their boat is well looked after if they are away during storm season.
__________________
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 20:07   #73
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Here Comes Isaac




Sorry guys, didn't mean to come across as harsh in my telling of why we didn't try to save that boat more so.

Water continues to rise at the marina despite a south west wind and predictions that the water in the northshore would rise now instead of where we are. The dock boxes are almost under water.

If the water comes up much more the "grinder" could pop its last lines and crash into Sundowner. I'm hoping it doesn't happen. Wind has calmed some though and waves have moderated.
__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 21:39   #74
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
See now...this is just my point....and i would like to apologize to the original poster as i didnt mean it as a personal attack against your character....maybe you were there to late....and you couldnt do anything...i understand....my thoughts are just that everyone knew the storm was coming and had plenty of time to secure the boats....someone must have seen that this boat was not secure in time to secure it better....?? Maybe the owner is sick or maybe away....who knows....like this guy here....sorry...i hope someone DID check on your boat for u...
I thought my marina was a bit pricey but seeing the dockmaster walk the docks morning noon and night checking on all the boats makes me feel good about being there


Some of the problem is that in this marina... Is that there are many many boats that have owners that are varying degrees of negligent. There were probably over 50 boats that needed "help" before the storm. As it was, Dani and I made it out there with only about 4 hours to work before the flood gates got shut down. We had enough time to take care of our boat and that was about it.

If it were one or two boats that needed a hand it would be one thing, but when its half a harbor you've got real issues. Who do you decide to help?

We're doing the best with what we can. So far I've contacted everyone I can and even responded to some readers of our blog to check on various boats far away from our own.

Its extremely sad to watch this happen. My soul has been rained on.
__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 21:45   #75
Registered User
 
goldiphlox's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Myers Fl
Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24
Posts: 169
Images: 1
Re: Here Comes Isaac

Hey....im Dani too.... it is sad to watch that...i feel bad for the owners. I hope your boat is safe
__________________

__________________
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.