Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Help This Innocent

A few weeks twice a year is for me the key detail.

IMO really makes no sense to buy a boat and not be able to use her for 90% of the year. especially when you factor in the cost, time and aggro to maintain a boat - even when you use other people. The boat being away from you means could easily find your vacations being centred around boat maintanence!

I would suggest a triple track approach:-

- sign up for a training course in the Carribean, a bit of a working holiday but they won't be learning you 24/7 (wouldn't get many punters with that approach!). Starting from zero you will learn a lot quickly that would take you a lot longer to puzzle out yourself, albeit nothing about boats is rocket science - but life a lot simpler and easier when you can at least get a handle on your unknowns / where you need more experiance or to get more confidence.

- Charter in the Carribean, either on own / with freinds or family or even try and get in someone else's boat charter!

- Not sure if you are still landlocked, but if not (whether sea or lake) then either get some more sailing time in locally, paid for, for free (add beer!) or (IMO ideally) on own boat (no matter what the size, but at your (and my!) age I would suggest at least 17-20 foot as something that won't tip you into the oggin as part of the nornal "fun"!.....will learn a lot from sailing on other peoples boat (from the variation in approaches - and the don'ts as well as the dos!), but no subtitute for also having own boat (Ownership a different experiance from being Skipper from being Crew).

The above should keep you going for a year or 3 which would place you a squillion percent more in a better position to decide whether owning a boat abroad is actually as wise (for you) as it is attractive sounding!

Even if the answer is then no, could also explore buying a boat in a Charter program (the company uses it to rent and you get weeks a year to use, and after 5(?) you get to keep her - it don't work as a true investment, but it does work for some - plenty of threads on CF about this). Or fractional ownership / syndicate share the boat and the bills!......yer never know, by the end of all that might end up being able to spend far longer aboard / away from home, in which case it is..........game on!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:11   #17

Cool Re: Help This Innocent

Thanks for the considered reply David. I've had similar thoughts. I am presently signed up for a week on a cat in the BVI in july. I am trying to swing something similar in florida on a monohull.

My only real problem with sailing vacations on others' boats is, if crewing, I am on their schedule, and, if paying, it becomes a lot of money that could be building equity. Also, one other thing that I don't mean as a downer, but Im not sure how many more years I will be able to do something like this.

I think the next that actually moves this dream forward is to get some sailng time under my belt.

Thanks again,
john
johnb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:20   #18

Re: help this innocent

I'm not sure if you received my frst message. Dionysus(sp) is pretty cool. I like the cabin/pilot house. What is the length?
Old 06-04-2013, 14:29   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb23 View Post
if paying, it becomes a lot of money that could be building equity.
Yes and no - TBH, if you are comparing charters a couple of times a year versus annual boat costs (maintaining and mooring - plus the inevitable tweeks and upgrades) then won't be far off the same figures (could be less either way)........and that without anything unexpected happening with the boat - Kerching $$$ .

That health angle is worthy of consideration - apparently immortality does not last forever, and even when it does then no guarantee it includes being fully functioning ......but nonetheless I would not say that going the no boat of own is always 2nd best, depends on own circumstances (time and money) - indeed it might simply be the most sensible financially and the most fun ...........certainly a lot less of a PITA! - it don't matter (so much!) if you are getting the use from her, but when not............

Boats is all about choices (for everyone), and that's all part of the challenge and the fun .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:00   #20

For two weeks a year, you should be chartering or taking classes.

Using a boat two weeks a year and paying for it isn't building equity, it's assuming the cost of continued maintenance.

Much cheaper to rent for the time you need, and invest all those funds you'd be throwing into a hole in the water in something that generates a return.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:01   #21

Oh, and repeat after me: "Boats aren't investments."

This will keep your dream intact, and prevent it from becoming a nightmare.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:43   #22

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
You might want to look into fractional ownership until you have more time. This is a part ownership of a boat that allots you a certain amount of time per year. These shares can be resold down the way usually with partner approval of the buyer when you are ready for your own boat and have more time. There are clubs like Sailtime that you can travel to different areas and use different boats or buy into a specific yacht.

Here is one example of a private yacht fractional ownership example (NO affiliation I just liked the way the financials are presented.)
http://www.sailawayfree.com/fractional_ownership.php

And Sailtime:
https://sailtime.com/

There are oodles of choices in the fractional side of things. I'm sure more folks here could give you the pros and cons better than I as I've never been down that route.

Enjoy!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:45   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help This Innocent

Can't sail locally and it appears your a long way from water.. however you go to the Carib fairly regularly... would you have opportunities to sail while your there.. live aboard for example as opposed to a hotel..
If so I'd follow the sail training charter/lessons advice for the first holiday.. get a good grip of the basics.. considering the amount of newbies in your 'Green State' who are members post a thread inviting 3 others to share the cost of a boat and an instructor for a 7 day course in boat/sail handling.. navigation theory you can do at home, there's loads of stuff on the web.. get hold of an old paper chart, dividers and rule and work out some situations. Its easier than it seems once you get your mind away from 2 dimensions...
If the Carib situation is viable I'd start looking for a cheap decent old 25-27ft centre boarder to keep down there.
Make contact/friends with some fishermen, beach bar owner, whoever lives in a good spot for the boat.. and when your not there do what they do.. haul your boat onto the beach using rollers the way they do... pay one of them a few dollars a week to keep an eye on things and you'll be fine.. outa town the common folk are mainly pure gold.. if you are 'sympatico'..
Hurricane season..?
Sh*t Happens... but.. low expense is the key in your situation.. save the big money for when you CAN take off..
My 0.0001 centime...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:54   #24

actually I found most of the Caribe is not that shallow a water after having the misconception you do. The Bahamas are shallow though. for several weeks a year all you need is a boat big enough to make you happy. If a couple or single that usually starts about 30 ft.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 16:11   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
actually I found most of the Caribe is not that shallow a water after having the misconception you do. The Bahamas are shallow though. for several weeks a year all you need is a boat big enough to make you happy. If a couple or single that usually starts about 30 ft.
True... and Dominica is pretty steep to until close in which is why I suggested beaching... boats big and small do it all along the UK coast.. and a lot of the beaches E of Chichester are pebble..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-04-2013, 16:25   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can't resist it any more so I'm gonna say it..
Why don't you try a Sloop JohnB....

Old 10-04-2013, 09:41   #27

Thanks for the input. You misread my time, though, it might not make much difference. I have 3 weeks, approximate, twice a year. While I have your attention, how feasible is a canvas cover over the whole boat, like a car cover, to help protect the surface from the environment?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb23 View Post
Thanks for the input. You misread my time, though, it might not make much difference. I have 3 weeks, approximate, twice a year. While I have your attention, how feasible is a canvas cover over the whole boat, like a car cover, to help protect the surface from the environment?
Canvas covers.... tarpaulins laced together... lots do it..

Old 10-04-2013, 09:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I can't resist it any more so I'm gonna say it..
Why don't you try a Sloop JohnB....
boatman, i'm amazed you refrained this long. I chose the name for the allusion. (also, my last name begins with B.) Speaking of B. Boys, hasn't their music weathered well? They will be playing Beach Boy classics, (Fun, fun, fun) a hundred years from now. They are timeless..

best,
john
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48   #30

so not necessary to custom make one...?