Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2013, 10:50   #31

Re: Help This Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Canvas covers.... tarpaulins laced together... lots do it..
so not necessary to custom make one...?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:53   #32

May I assume they do a good job of lessening deck work from the environment?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Can't sail locally and it appears your a long way from water.. however you go to the Carib fairly regularly... would you have opportunities to sail while your there.. live aboard for example as opposed to a hotel..
If so I'd follow the sail training charter/lessons advice for the first holiday.. get a good grip of the basics.. considering the amount of newbies in your 'Green State' who are members post a thread inviting 3 others to share the cost of a boat and an instructor for a 7 day course in boat/sail handling.. navigation theory you can do at home, there's loads of stuff on the web.. get hold of an old paper chart, dividers and rule and work out some situations. Its easier than it seems once you get your mind away from 2 dimensions...
If the Carib situation is viable I'd start looking for a cheap decent old 25-27ft centre boarder to keep down there.
Make contact/friends with some fishermen, beach bar owner, whoever lives in a good spot for the boat.. and when your not there do what they do.. haul your boat onto the beach using rollers the way they do... pay one of them a few dollars a week to keep an eye on things and you'll be fine.. outa town the common folk are mainly pure gold.. if you are 'sympatico'..
Hurricane season..?
Sh*t Happens... but.. low expense is the key in your situation.. save the big money for when you CAN take off..
My 0.0001 centime...
Thank you. You've touched on a lot of points that are relevant. Let me get back when i have a bit more time. Maybe i should have titled this thread, "Help me, Rhonda."
Old 10-04-2013, 11:18   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

JohnB, Redherring had some good advice for a newbie... why not hire a skippered charter on a vessel about the size and accommodation you are looking for in the area you intend to cruise? Not only will you get some hands on experience without the large capital outlay, you will get to know the boat over a week or so and see if the area appeals to you for a longer term stay.
There are many folks who thought this lifestyle was for them on the boat of their dreams only to find it didn't meet their initial expectations. Good luck with your search. Phil
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35   #35

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb23 View Post
This is directed to everyone who took the time to answer my query. I apologize for not replying sooner. I was tagged as a suspicious character and my messages were blocked. I have been branded a suspicious character before, but only by people who know me. Thank you everyone for your help.

johnb23
in the forum rules, it says " suspicious characters wanted"

jk...good luck in your search and dream
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
JohnB, Redherring had some good advice for a newbie... why not hire a skippered charter on a vessel about the size and accommodation you are looking for in the area you intend to cruise? Not only will you get some hands on experience without the large capital outlay, you will get to know the boat over a week or so and see if the area appeals to you for a longer term stay.
There are many folks who thought this lifestyle was for them on the boat of their dreams only to find it didn't meet their initial expectations. Good luck with your search. Phil
Thank you Phil, i have a week cruise scheduled on a 44 ft cat just for this purpose. I was lucky to find a single cabin available. I need to do the same with a monohull, as time and money allow.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb23 View Post
Thank you Phil, i have a week cruise scheduled on a 44 ft cat just for this purpose. I was lucky to find a single cabin available. I need to do the same with a monohull, as time and money allow.
i just sent this to you in a personal thanks, between my memory and my knees, i am losing ground....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: