Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26   #1

Boat: S2 10.3
HELP PEASE : ANDROS & BERRY'S

I have made no less than 30 sailing trips to the Bahamas over the last 40 years and have never stopped in Andros and only breifly in the Berry's. This spring I would like to spend 2 or 3 weeks in that area only.

We draw 4.5 feet and have no need for marinas. First hand info on where to go and what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM with such things as shallow water conching spots or other "Private Paradise" related info. Such things will not be broadcasted !

Thank You

NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: HELP PEASE : ANDROS & BERRY'S

Why not just explore? Bring your charts, dive and fishing gear and two good anchors. There's no better way to get to know an area. Good luck and safe sailing.

Old 13-11-2017, 05:33   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Andros is like no other island in the Bahamas...like it fell there off another planet. Have spent some time in Andros, but would love to get back and explore more...a small power cat would be the ideal boat.

The cuts that run across Andros are beautiful for small boat/dingy exploration.

Beware the Chikcharneys!
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 06:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Similar history for me in the Bahamas. Have stopped a couple of places in the Berry's but never on Andros. However, due to what I've read about the diving and reefs on Andros I've spent a lot of time researching the potential to cruise there.

My take is there are not a lot of totally protected places to anchor on the east coast, mainly reef anchorages. Sailing on the inside of the reef is eyeball navigation. Also few resources so go prepared to be independent.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 07:21   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We've stopped off in Morgan's Bluff on our way between Bimini and Nassau. It's a weird but peaceful place. Small marina with some fulltime liveaboards. Deserted fairgrounds. Small general store with about six different items for sale. Nice sandy anchorage. Old caves reputed to be Captain Morgan's pirate hideout. Lots of trash around, though. Still worth a look if you're poking around the island.

I plan to go back to Andros someday, take our time and pass through the Bights in our shallow-draft boat.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:52   #6

Andros: I second that thought - Morgan's bluff on the far north end is a great spot. Inner harbor is very very tight, but lots of room in outer harbor. GREAT anchorage and protection, except in a hard north blow.

Andros: A little further down the coast, the little village of Fresh Creek is a lot of fun too. A neat little quirky settlement (town). There is a old-fashioned batique (sp?) factory there in Fresh Creek that you can tour (costs a few dollars to make your own products). Pretty neat little place. We tied up on the dock at the "yacht club". Oh MY - the worst docks we've seen in years . . . . but still fun and pretty cool.
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

We really like Andros. We stop at Morgan's Bluff every year. There are really nice snorkeling reefs to the north about 2 miles and to the south along the back side of the barrier reef. The front of the Barrier reef drops off pretty quickly and is more suitable for scuba. If you brave enough to try the inside route going south I suggest you wait until late spring when the sun is really high. The low sun angle in winter and early spring makes seeing the numerous coral heads quite difficult. You could always go south on the outside and back north on the inside, but be advised that 4.5 feet is pretty deep draft for the inside. I had a friend in a Mainecat 30 drawing 2'9" do it and he touched bottom several times. Since there are really no plotted inside routes there is no way of knowing if he chose the best way through. There may well be places you can only pass at high tide.

Fresh Creek is an interesting little place. The marina was torn up pretty badly by hurricane Mathew in 2016 and when we were there last winter it had much of the roof missing and was closed. The docks were best described as destroyed. I have no current information on the Marina. You should be aware that the tidal current in the creek is quite strong and the bottom is seriously scoured making anchoring pretty much a non-starter. There are a couple of barrier islands just off shore and the holding behind them is quite good. There are a couple of small towns between organ's Bluff and Fresh creek, but I have only visited them from the land side so can offer no personal experience on approaching them from the water though they have marked channels through the reef. I have not gone further south than Fresh creek though I would like to do so in the future.

Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote