Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 21:38   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Help - Passage planning, getting stuck

So here is the problem. Boat is in Aruba. I want to get to West cost Canada by next summer. Earliest I can leave is July this year. I have time to get through Panama but by the time I do it is hurricane season off the coast of Mexico. I could head for Hawaii and leave the boat there for the winter BUT no berths available unless I pay $6000 at a private yacht club. I could head north from Panama up the coast but can't get to a marina in Mexico because of hurricane risk off the coast (will be August by the time I get there). I thought of staying in Costa Rica but they only allow a 90 day stay unless you pay lots of people and have the boat stored in a bonded marina, again costs thousands.
Last possibility I can see is to leave her where she is until October before heading through the canal, then head up to Mexico. stop there till summer then head north from there. But that means starting to summer leg to canada from Mexico, not exactly going to be a cruise.
Liz would like to do the coast as she wants to see N California, Washington and Oregon. Can only take 4-8 weeks off work at a time.

Any solutions.
Boat is 35ft sailboat, solid seagoing boat with a decent engine
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 01:45   #2
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30
Re: Help - Passage planning, getting stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
So here is the problem. Boat is in Aruba. I want to get to West cost Canada by next summer. Earliest I can leave is July this year. I have time to get through Panama but by the time I do it is hurricane season off the coast of Mexico. I could head for Hawaii and leave the boat there for the winter BUT no berths available unless I pay $6000 at a private yacht club. I could head north from Panama up the coast but can't get to a marina in Mexico because of hurricane risk off the coast (will be August by the time I get there). I thought of staying in Costa Rica but they only allow a 90 day stay unless you pay lots of people and have the boat stored in a bonded marina, again costs thousands.
Last possibility I can see is to leave her where she is until October before heading through the canal, then head up to Mexico. stop there till summer then head north from there. But that means starting to summer leg to canada from Mexico, not exactly going to be a cruise.
Liz would like to do the coast as she wants to see N California, Washington and Oregon. Can only take 4-8 weeks off work at a time.

Any solutions.
first mistake leaving in July, second a decent engine. I would want a great engine not a decent one, and no time stamps. This is why you are stuck.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 02:14   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
So here is the problem. Boat is in Aruba. I want to get to West cost Canada by next summer. Earliest I can leave is July this year.

It is already hurricane season!

I have time to get through Panama but by the time I do it is hurricane season off the coast of Mexico. I could head for Hawaii and leave the boat there for the winter BUT no berths available unless I pay $6000 at a private yacht club. I could head north from Panama up the coast but can't get to a marina in Mexico because of hurricane risk off the coast (will be August by the time I get there). I thought of staying in Costa Rica but they only allow a 90 day stay unless you pay lots of people and have the boat stored in a bonded marina, again costs thousands. Might be a better option if you get there safely.

Any solutions.
Alternative solution to a difficult problem: how about a delivery skipper, all the way to Canada? I know it would be expensive, but the reality of the situation is that the current flows south along North America, and the predominant wind is from the NW, hence any trip up from the south is not going to be gemultlichtkeit--user friendly. Good for seasoned sailors, perhaps, but not for a wife who would like to explore the regions.

IMO, your work schedule does not permit you to do this delivery, and if your good lady is not accustomed to beating into 20-25 knot headwinds day after day, you have few options.

Going as far as Hawaii, if you can find moorage for your yacht, might be doable, looking over your shoulder for tropical storms and hurricanes, but you might make it....... But then what?

If it's the end of Sept, it's getting late to get to BC, and of course all you see is the great blue ocean, not northern Calif., Ore., and WA.

Personally, I think you and your good lady need to give this whole plot a new think.

Ann
Old 17-03-2015, 05:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
IMO, your work schedule does not permit you to do this delivery...
I agree. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to sail the boat up to Texas, put it on a truck, and send it to Canada that way.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 05:40   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with Ann.

Sell the boat and buy another in Canada or northern USA.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help - Passage planning, getting stuck

Shipping overland from Texas would be your quickest option..
However if you would like to do it yourself.. your 1st 4 week break sail straight to Panama (6-7 days) after setting things up with a agent like Erick.. take her through the Canal and dock her Panama City side till you can come down again.. after that you'll need fuel for around 1000 miles.. whichever route you choose.. personally I'd motor up to Mazataln close in to take advantage of any counter current then either leave her there.. or have a delivery skipper do the rest..
Then next time down if still doing it yourself motorsail to SF.. etc, etc...
Space your storage times to coincide with the weather..
Or.. hire a skipper for the Panama-Canada leg.. the Canal you should experience yourself.
Offer a mileage price ($1.50-$2.00/mile) as an incentive as opposed to a day rate.. there's no urgency with day rates..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:58   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... and dock her Panama City side till you can come down again.. after that you'll need fuel for around 1000 miles.. whichever route you choose.. personally I'd motor up to Mazataln close in to take advantage of any counter current then either leave her there.. or have a delivery skipper do the rest..
Then next time down if still doing it yourself motorsail to SF.. etc, etc...
Not found anywhere in panama, his would make it doable, any suggesttions
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:35   #8

If you can get your boat to Golfito in the Pacific side of Costa Rico, you could have it transported via freighter to the West Coast. Seven Stars makes a stop there.

The other options - truck it from Texas; sell it and buy one in the PNW.

A few friends have tried to sail up the West Coast. They all ended up trucking it.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:39   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not found anywhere in panama, his would make it doable, any suggesttions
Balboa Yacht Club: Panama City Panama Canal Restaurant | Balboa Yacht Club | Panama City Restaurant

Or.. carry on down to the end of the causeway and you'll find two marina's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panama.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	98988  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-03-2015, 08:38   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 44

Another trucking option is San Carlos in the Sea of Cortez. They have been shipping boats to the US and Canada for 20+ years. San Carlos is about 28 degrees north so you're effectively out of the hurricane zone - if you can safely get the boat that far you won't have any weather problems. After the canal you have few reasonable places t store the boat. Consider Golfito, Costa Rica - the first decent hurricane hole going up the coast after that is Chiapas on the Guatemala/Mexican border, the next one isn't until Mazatlan, IMHO. I hope your decision allows you to spend some time along the Mexican coast and in the Sea.
vivabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 08:39   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Offer a mileage price ($1.50-$2.00/mile) as an incentive as opposed to a day rate.. there's no urgency with day rates..
Boatman when you pay a mileage rate, how are the miles calculated, ie actual miles sailed, or great circle route distance or some other method? Thanks
Old 17-03-2015, 09:06   #12

Boat: Caliber 40

There have been many very detailed discussions here about the questions/situation you have. Try a search.

For example:
Feb 1, 2015
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-138930.html

which contains many lengthy explanations of the economics, fuel requirements, and timing of the Panama to Cape Flattery voyage.

Another:
May 5, 2014
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-125635.html

more details and lots of discussion

It is a very hard, painful, and expensive operation north from Panama to Flattery.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 09:18   #13

Boat: Caliber 40

"Another trucking option is San Carlos in the Sea of Cortez. They have been shipping boats to the US and Canada for 20+ years. San Carlos is about 28 degrees north so you're effectively out of the hurricane zone - if you can safely get the boat that far you won't have any weather problems."

I'm afraid my experience has been a little different.

Hurricane Charley in 2003 made a direct hit on San Carlos. Many boats were damaged and destroyed.

NOAA historical hurricane tracks show at least 10 Hurricanes having hit San Carlos.

San Carlos is safe, relative to south of Loreto but to say it is immune to hurricanes is misleading.

I shipped a 40' boat from Marina Seca in San Carlos to Tacoma, WA and was very pleased with the result. Cheap and easy compared to bashing 2,000 miles north from Cabo San Lucas.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 09:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Boatman when you pay a mileage rate, how are the miles calculated, ie actual miles sailed, or great circle route distance or some other method? Thanks
Well.. I can only speak for myself here... but for example SMX to Gibraltar to keep it simple.. straight line to the Azores then straight line to Gib.. which gives a total of 3250 odd miles..
I know I'll cover maybe upto 400 miles more allowing for GS drift and E-ESE winds crossing it so I'll in practice be doing an arc..
but the customer likes to have a firm quote of the price for the trip + my travel costs.. I also inform them that fuel and Port/marina dues on the trip are extra and will be a variable quantity dependant on the weather but likely less than 500euro's maximum.. unless there is a problem with the boat that needs sorting and delays the trip..
Someone buying a boat likes a firm figure they can factor into their budget.
PS; I never go via Bermuda..

Old 17-03-2015, 10:21   #15

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Outside of you wanting to move a 35ft sailboat you do not provide enough info. There are several ways to move it from Aruba but the all cost money and time. I have seen truckers do to much damage moving boats cross country. If you hire someone to do it for you it will cost you money. If you sail her your self it will cost you money and time. Any thing we suggest is going to cost you money, but what is the cheapest. My suggestion is look into shipping via DOCKWISE Yacht Transporter. While not cheap I feel it is the best way to ship because you save money by not having to decommission the boat in any way. All you have to do is get the boat to one of there pickup points at the appropriate time and drive her right on and pick her up at a drop off point some where on the West Coast of Mexico, California. or Vancouver, Canada. I shipped my 36ft Morgan from Ft Lauderdale, FL. to Vancouver, BC, Canada, No sweat or strain or stress. All I did was drive my boat on and 30 days later I drove it off in Vancouver, BC. ONE HAPPY SAILOR... Another thing you need to consider is that if you do come decide to the boat up the WEST COAST TO CANADA you will be fighting the prevailing winds and currents all the way North, though once you get the Victoria, Vancouver, Puget Sound area you wil not find a more interesting sailing area. So Good Luck in your decision...
Ed on the Pacific Dream...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage