Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 20:36   #1

Help Me Out with this Situation . . .

• Ok, so I am new to the group but have been lurking for sometime. I am anxious to get my own boat in the next year. When I do I will seek out locals (S.F. Bay) that are boatless and yet not clueless to sail together. I don't plan on asking for money or trying to lease out time....which seems to be what I have been seeing going on. Am I being the black sheep here. What is wrong with using my boat, the 2 of us prep/cleaning, and gaining experience together out on the water. It's less stressful (and safer) unless the company is bad. Which means we dont sail again. Is this more common than what I am believing?
houseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:40   #2

Do you mean having some sailing buddies and going out sailing with them? Not trying to be insulting; just not catching your meaning.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:44   #3

Yes, just sailing buddies....the wife doesnt have any interest in the hobby. Mutual interest in honing our skills.
Old 25-10-2010, 20:47   #4

I love to go sailing with my friends. I think it only gets a little dicey when you're talking about longer trips and/or people you don't know so well. If you go out with someone brand new you might want a buddy to come to (sailing or otherwise). No matter how weird someone is you can make it work for a few hours. Crank it up to a week or two and even your best friend can get on your nerves.

And just because someone said "the situation"...

Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino | Official Website
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 23:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseboy View Post
What is wrong with using my boat, the 2 of us prep/cleaning, and gaining experience together out on the water. It's less stressful (and safer) unless the company is bad. Which means we dont sail again. Is this more common than what I am believing?
There's nothing wrong with it. I've since moved but last year I sailed a lot with a friend on his boat just for the fun and experience. His boat was lighter then mine and since it wasn't set up for living on (I was living aboard mine) we could cast off at the drop of a hat and head out for some fun in the wind. It hellped that he was in the slip next to mine. I sail solo quite a bit and going out with someone else is really great.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 00:57   #6

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseboy View Post
  • Ok, so I am new to the group but have been lurking for sometime. I am anxious to get my own boat in the next year. When I do I will seek out locals (S.F. Bay) that are boatless and yet not clueless to sail together. I don't plan on asking for money or trying to lease out time....which seems to be what I have been seeing going on. Am I being the black sheep here. What is wrong with using my boat, the 2 of us prep/cleaning, and gaining experience together out on the water. It's less stressful (and safer) unless the company is bad. Which means we dont sail again. Is this more common than what I am believing?
I assume you are looking at taking out sailors to teach you to sail your boat.

While that seems a good idea at first there is a couple of small problems. Without any experience you have no way of guaging anyone elses experience -they may be teaching you the wrong things or putting you in danger.

How about employing a sailing instructor to take you out for a few lessons instead. Most instructors work for sailing schools and dont earn a great living any extra overtime would be appreciated and you will be getting the right information from the start.

Good luck and welcome to sailing.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 06:09   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
i see lots of folks with a boat and maybe a not so keen family.

I have a regular crew of 4 and a few others on part time. It works well.

I have a brother in the Bay area and I am sure he would be glad to hook up and go sailing. When you are ready send me a PM and I will get in touch.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:13   #8

I plan on going thru the courses in the Bay, 101 and 103 to start. So, there are probably enough people in the area that would want to hone their skills and going out?
Old 26-10-2010, 09:02   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Attend the Latitude 38 Crew List Parties!! Also visit their websight and put your name on the list "looking for crew".

Of course you'll attract different types of people, but just wait until you go cruising, there are all sorts of different personalities out there. That was part of the adventure.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote