Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 12:58   #76
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Help me not look stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Here's the perfect outfit for the moments when you vont to be alone. On top of that, if you feel like becoming an armchair admiral you're all set with both the outfit and the armchair. Win - win.

Attachment 100628
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 00:35   #77

I want to thank everyone for your comments. My first sail was AMAZING! And your advice helped me enjoy it more.

The one fail on my part was not having waterproof trousers. I had a good waterproof coat that kept my upper half warm and dry, but my jeans (which I was advised not to wear, but didn't have a better choice) got soaked when it rained and hailed. But, thankfully, I did take a change of clothes, so was able to quickly warm up and dry off once finished tacking into hail and winds gusting to 27 knots. Gloves is another thing I've added to my list.

I was amazed with the boat shoes I bought off eBay. They were utterly soaked! And I had expected to have to change socks and into my trainers, but when I took my feet out of the shoes, my socks were totally dry!

Anyway, like I said, I had an amazing day and will being starting proper training later this year working towards my Yacht Masters cert.

MG
Old 23-05-2015, 04:42   #78

Boat: Able 50

The best shorts to wear on a boat are plastic surf shorts. Check the label before you buy to be sure they are 100% poly something or other and zero cotton.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 06:01   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy Moxie Girl!

I visited your blog, and read your account there of your first sail.

My friendly suggestion: While your blog may not be linked here in your post (I assume there is a forum rule somewhere against linking to some types of blogs or sites), see if you can have a link to it (your blog) in your forum profile page (About Me tab) so other folks can find it, if they are interested.

I really enjoyed your very well-written description of your first sailing experience.

From reading just that one story, I can tell you are an outstanding writer and you have really caught the "sailing bug" too. As a sailor that is always fun to observe in others.

My Personal Sailing Motto: "Your enthusiasm for sailing can carry you far."

Fair winds sailor!
Old 23-05-2015, 06:21   #80

Steady Hand,

Thanks for the tip and compliment, have updated my profile accordingly.

If you like my writing, further down my blog page are the first couple chapters of a novel I'm finishing this year. Hope to self-publish before too long.

My dream, no, scratch that. My 8 year plan is to buy a boat, sail South to warmer waters and spend my days writing novels while anchored off a lovely port somewhere.

MG
Old 23-05-2015, 07:00   #81
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Steady Hand,

Thanks for the tip and compliment, have updated my profile accordingly.

If you like my writing, further down my blog page are the first couple chapters of a novel I'm finishing this year. Hope to self-publish before too long.

My dream, no, scratch that. My 8 year plan is to buy a boat, sail South to warmer waters and spend my days writing novels while anchored off a lovely port somewhere.

MG
You are welcome (and welcome here on the forum too).

I did look at some of what came earlier on the blog. I saw some interesting poetry too. (Renee?)

You have a good dream.

Mine is somewhat similar (so I can relate), but involves making a different kind of art (paintings are my goal, I am a painter, see my profile if you wish to see examples).

The good things about dreams is that we can all have them and they are free. The trick is to take a dream and make it into a plan, and then take that plan and make it happen. (I know you know this.).

Your determination and drive will help get you there.

Another tip or suggestion about your blog: With your "first sail" experience post, it would be good for your readers to see a photo of YOU sailing or on the boat or in the rain or such. Satisfy their curiosity. Let your readers/fans see (like the big boat photo) as those visuals can help maintain their interest and add to the virtual experience. Your writing is very descriptive, which is one reason it is very nice to read. More photos will help the average reader (or those without any sailing experience) relate and understand more fully and probably help maintain their interest.
Old 23-05-2015, 07:25   #82

Boat: Niagara 35

I can't see the link to your blog on my phone. Can you link to your post for all of us using the app?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-05-2015, 11:24   #83

Steady Hand - yes, will get a picture of me up soon. I actually have one or two from the day I spent on the water, but I really can't stand how overweight I am at the moment, and have started on a strict diet/exercise plan to slim up. Although I know no one cares about the few extra pounds apart from me, I'm pretty self-conscious of pictures of me. Will try to over come it though, as you asked nicely.

Chris, the moderators removed the link to my blogspot that I put in this post because I had previously put a link to it in another post, and they didn't want me spamming the forum with links to my site. Which, is fair enough I suppose. Perhaps if I add it to my signature block....
Old 24-05-2015, 13:36   #84

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Good read Moxiegirl. Yup, it sounds like you've been bitten by the bug!

It sounds like you fly too. It shouldn't surprise me but always does--just how many sailors fly, and how many pilots sail.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 14:57   #85

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Congratulations! Sounds as if you had a sporty or adventurous first sail.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 15:13   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Steady Hand - yes, will get a picture of me up soon. I actually have one or two from the day I spent on the water, but I really can't stand how overweight I am at the moment, and have started on a strict diet/exercise plan to slim up. Although I know no one cares about the few extra pounds apart from me, I'm pretty self-conscious of pictures of me. Will try to over come it though, as you asked nicely.

Chris, the moderators removed the link to my blogspot that I put in this post because I had previously put a link to it in another post, and they didn't want me spamming the forum with links to my site. Which, is fair enough I suppose. Perhaps if I add it to my signature block....
Hi. Good.

Don't worry about how you look when you post a photo of you on a sailboat, all us sailors will be looking at the B O A T .

And, when I was sailing in SF Bay (cold water sailing) I looked like I was going to the Arctic (wearing full foul weather clothing, deck boots, gloves, watch cap, turtleneck polypro, fleece bibs, etc.). I looked BIG in the photos, but I was lean underneath. So, sailors are used to looking big and bulky. Some wear big bulky smocks too. The important thing is to stay warm and dry.
Old 24-05-2015, 23:27   #87

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your support and for liking my writing.

I suspect pilots and sailors must have a very similar component to their makeup, to get out there and see the world. I haven't flown for a number of years, but did start flying, and soloed, when I was 15. Didn't even have a full driver's licence and I was flying a plane. Granted, I was driving tractors on the farm when I was 10.

I've had flight instructors tell me I was a natural pilot, and had an intuitive sense on how to fly a plane. The sailing instructor I had last week said nearly the exact same words about my sailing. When we were tacking, he showed me the first time how to bring it around and fill the sails with air before bringing the nose a bit closer into the wind, and that was all I needed to do it perfectly the following times. I knew where the wind was going to be, and knew where I had to put the boat. It was a serious rush!

The problem is (there is always a problem), I am about 1/3 of the way through a year long Sports and Remedial Massage Therapy course. This course is very demanding of my time, and includes 5 substantial Anatomy and Physiology papers to write plus 100 hours massage practice. This leaves me very little room for sailing (or archery, my other hobby).

Yesterday I was working on one of my A&P Papers, and kept catching myself wandering off looking at sailing sites.

I'm going to try and restrict myself to a competent crew course this year, and some evening theory classes until the massage course finishes in February. Then, spend as much of next year on the water as I can afford and make time for.

It's hard waiting, now that I've caught the bug.

MG