Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 11:51   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Help me not look stupid

gamayun reminded me when he mentioned jewellery... It's not a good idea to wear rings when handling lines. Best to leave those at home.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 11:59   #17

Boat: Monk 36

When I saw MoxieGirl my first thought was you might be a neighbor and I could loan you some gear. You see, Moxie Moxie. Distinctively Different. is the official drink of Maine, USA. (It's nasty stuff if you ask me). Had you been a Maineah, you'd have all the gear already.

With 40 posts, I suspect you know a bit already about the 'sport' of sailing. Enjoy your day out there. As the other commenters are saying, don't break the bank on clothes and layer layer layer.

Submit detailed reports when you are back.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:14   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, any hunting or camping supply can sell you good rain gear. But showing up in woodland camo on a boat tends to get your stares, unless it is duck season.(G)

A friend of mine who is painfully cheap sometimes said he got "Frog Togs" for $30 at Walmart, supposedly waterproof breathable polyethylene that he's been very happy with, so I'd check into that. If you have WOOL or synthetic socks, wear them. Cotton gets wet and stays wet and you'll suffer all day. Applies to jeans, pants, tops as well.

A pair of sailing gloves (driving gloves, batting gloves, Kevlar trash handling gloves) should be a must, because if a line slips in your hands, you can get a fast nasty second degree burn from it. And some chapstick and sunblock are good ideas.

Some perfectionists, like my old gym coach, would say take your street shoes off before you touched his polished boards, but for a sailing school, I'm sure they are used to boat shoes being worn TO the boat, and as long as there's no gravel stuck in them, and they're not black, they won't mind. Actually, black soles can be perfectly good. If they are genuine Vibram, Vibram doesn't scuff. But a lot of folks just get scared of "black".

If you've spent little time on boats...seasickness hits most of us sometimes. Like a pilot, no booze for 24 hours before, no smoking, good night's sleep, but try to pick up some seasickness meds, try them at home a week or two before (on the weekend) and that way you'll have something if you need it. If the weather calls for calm waters...no worry.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:19   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don't know if you are a hiker, but hiking clothes (layered fleece, hard shell) work well in a pinch
Old 16-04-2015, 12:26   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Ok did some digging and saw you were in the UK.

Non marking shoes, polar tech or wool sweater and a basic nylon shell or outer coat. Add long pants like jeans, baseball cap, sunglasses and sunblock. Or shorts if it is warm.

Older the gear the better it is.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 13:39   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Moxie Girl,

I agree with the posts above, jeans, sneakers, layers, and an inexpensive rain top. Once you get to crewing regularly, you'll see how the others dress and then figure out how you want to do it.

A friend of mine found almost new Henri LLoyd weather gear">foul weather gear at the Sally Ann. So if you want to keep costs down, have a look at the op shops, and see what you can find. The best usually turns up near to wealthy neighborhoods.

Ann
Old 16-04-2015, 13:50   #22

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I'm going to disagree with some of the posts and recommend you NOT wear jeans. There are few ways to dress (ballroom gown?) that are less functional on a sailboat. Jeans, when they get wet, stay wet. They provide minimal insulation when dry and are miserably uncomfortable when wet.

As for shoes, talk to the folks you're going with. On our boat, we have a shoe box where everyone leaves their shoes as they come aboard.

Enjoy!
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 13:53   #23

You guys are FANTASTIC! I'm overwhelmed by all the great responses.

One of the things that I'm loving about the cruising world is how friendly and supportive people are. And you are confirming that to be true. I'm a big follower of SV Delos, and have been immersing myself in Lin and Larry Pardey's books (among others). They are wonderful ambassadors to the cruising community.

I would have to say that the cruising community is even more friendly than the archery community, and when I started shooting, I didn't think that was possible.

So, just to reply to a few comments.

I grew up on a farm in Iowa, and after a couple years at University, joined the Air Force for 9 years. So hard work, early mornings and being in all kinds of weather is pretty much how I grew up. I'm not really a girly-girl with rings and dangly earrings. A few piercings and tats is more my style - so shouldn't have a problem with jewellery getting caught in a line. Growing up I knew a farmer who jumped off a tractor and his wedding ring got caught on the fender. He left his ring, and finger, behind on the tractor. I plan on returning from sailing with 10 fingers and 10 toes thank you very much.

Definitely taking a camera - I need to update my avatar to something more fitting this site.

dpddj, can't thank you enough for the offer. Maine is a beautiful State. I have a brother and sister living there, but sadly I've only visited once.

That is where I saw the ocean for the first time when I was 14, and it called to me. I didn't recognise it then for what it was, but ever since that day I can't visit a beach without a strong longing to see what is just over the horizon. I can sit in the sand for hours just watching the waves and the sun set, aching inside that I can't be out there.

As far as sea sickness goes, not a problem. I soloed in an airplane when I was 15, and have never had motion sickness of any kind. In fact, I find such motion very peaceful and relaxing. Granted, now that I've said that I'm sure I'm tempting fate. But maybe fate will forget I said it by next month.

A colleague at work has some wet weather gear from when he used to sail that might fit me. So that'll be a nice loaner for the day if it works out. But I'm also going to check the local hiking stores, we have a couple of good ones in town. Sadly, no Walmarts in the UK. But we do have Amazon and eBay. But, I need to try stuff on, so probably won't order online.

I think I'll throw all my stuff in a gym bag, and put the shoes on when I get to the marina. Taking a hat is a great tip I hadn't thought about. I look really terrible in hats, but will make an exception for the day. Will at least have something in my bag, or maybe a hoodie....

Wow, I didn't realise I had 40 posts! I got serious about sailing a year or so ago and posted a lot, then life got busy with work and all. This year I'm completing a pretty intense sports massage course, and just don't have the spare time to learn to sail. So next year is going to be the year I really start my education. But that doesn't mean I can't squeeze in the odd day or two on the water this year, you know, to keep the dream alive.

OH! Actually, just thought of an idea for my avatar - my Sail Kitty jar.

My long-term, 8-year plan is to retire early and sail South to warmer, blue waters. And after travelling the world a bit, settle down near a nice marina and spend my days writing.

MG
Old 16-04-2015, 14:24   #24

sailing clothes in United Kingdom - Gumtree=
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 14:42   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Moxie ,

Don't worry how you look. Try to be comfortable but even then you don't sound like an uncomfortable day is going to phase you much. I can almost guarantee you that it can and will get worse somewhere

Like you I have never been seasick and have flown antique airplanes cross country ( 1947 Aeronca Champ) while smoking cigars and munching on chocolate chip cookies. Since the door didn't latch, a bit of cross rudder would pop the door open for cigar ash. Sorry us old farts drift a bit.

Bottom line, you'll do fine. Welcome to the world of crazy sailors, brothers and sisters of the cloth. 🍸🍸

Bro Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 14:54   #26

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

A set of thermals is always a good idea as a base layer (merino are undoubtedly best, but polypropylene are fine too. A fleece jacket is also good. Jeans are a poor choice. If they get wet they are horribly cold and uncomfortable.
You can get really good quality wet weather gear pretty cheap on-line from wetsuit outlet
Wetsuit Outlet - Offering Great Deals on Water Sport Equipment Clothing Drysuits Wetsuits
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:08   #27

Well, pretty good advice so far as far as what is appropriate to wear and where to get it, but if as you stated, your goal is “to look like I belong” than I might suggest you consider gathering the following items and do as I say.

All of your “new” gear
Several fist-sized rocks (beach stones would work nicely)
Access to a Laundromat (don’t do this at home with your own washing machine!!!)
Coarse sandpaper and/or a stiff wire brush, or better yet both
1 oz used motor oil
1 oz bottom paint (your choice of colors red,black, blue, or white)
1 bottle Siracha Sauce (the bigger the better)
A bit of rag
A paint brush
Washing up liquid
A piece of metal you can heat up (how about a frying pan?)
Something to heat the metal up hot (perhaps a cooking stove?)
A cricket bat
Sailmakers needle and waxed whipping thread
Some epoxy or perhaps a urethane adhesive like you would try to fix a shoe with
A pretty scarf

First, take all of your new stuff to the laundromat and run it through the washer then the dryer. Add the beach stones when you put the clothes in the dryer. I recommend an unattended automated laundromat. Perhaps pick a time when few are around, but avoid nighttime if people are trying to sleep in apartments upstairs. Might take a couple cycles but you will know when they are ready for the next step.

Put on your new gear and rub it with the sandpaper and wire brush. Look at a faded pair of blue jeans or old jacket to see where to rub the most. Mainly on the elbows, knees, and upper thighs but don’t forget your bum. Maybe better to have someone else rub your bum for you, depends really. Sometimes they can reach spots you can’t get to easily.

Next, use the rag and the paint brush to splatter and smear the used motor oil and bottom paint on places you think they might ordinarily end up. You can 'flick' the paint brush to get some convincing results. Do this to your foul weather gear. Only real sailors paint their bottoms or fix their engines wearing their foul weather gear. Those lay-days are so damn expensive nobody can afford to wait for a sunny day to paint their bottom and of course the engine always breaks when you are cold and wet anyway, not when it's blue skies.

Now splash some of the Siracha Sauce on the top of your foul weather bibs. The pros will know your were cooking something good when it was sloppy which means your not a frozen-microwave-dinner-girl or the type to get seasick. Oh, BTW, the Sircaha Sauce is bloody good stuff if you can get your hands on it, hence get the biggest bottle.

Take some of the washing up liquid and rub it on the various stains then rinse with water. This will soften the look of the stains and make it look like you tried to neaten yourself up because you are no slob. Of course it won't work but you want to make it look like you tried.

Then heat up the metal real hot and make a burn mark on the bibs. Wearing bibs when you are cooking in a seaway is a smart thing to do to protect yourself because accidents happen. The burn mark will prove you are no dummy and that you know how to handle yourself in rough weather.

Next find something sturdy you can hang your gear from and beat it with the cricket bat. You don’t have to go crazy, just smack it enough to induce some kind of obvious tear somewhere. Depending on how you hang it and where you beat it the tear will happen somewhere unexplainable, which is the point.

Now sew up the tear(s) with the sailmakers needles and whipping twine. This type of needle and thread are grossly overkill for a tear in any garment you might wear but when you are on a boat you have to learn to make due with whatever you have on hand. It’s not a fashion show, it’s about what works when you need it to.

Finish your repair with some of the urethane adhesive or the epoxy. The urethane adhesive will be like a dirt magnet whereas the epoxy will embrittle the fabric and make it so that it cracks when bent. Either of these is good. The point here is that you are able to improvise and that you aren’t afraid to fix something too good if it failed you once before.

Lastly, put on your gear, your pretty scarf, and enjoy!

You might not know what you are doing but you will sure look like you do. At the very least you will look like you belong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sriracha!!!.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	100550  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:28   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Delancy, good one... lots of good advice there!

But mate, how could you forget a couple of smears of 5200 and some anti-seize compound. The latter should be applied with the fingers, usually wiped across the thigh area.

And for the OP, well, you have had so much advice that I will not bore you with more. Once on board, you will be so entranced that none of this will matter.

Enjoy!

Jim, using Ann's computer
Old 16-04-2015, 15:50   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You guys are over the top. Not that I don't agree with you but you make it too hard.

Find a drunk sailor ( shouldn't be too hard) take his/her clothes and leave the Helly Hansen. You will be in character and they will be to embarrassed to press charges let alone be seen by they're mates😜

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:53   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Ahhh forgot.

Bring enough cash to buy at least one round of Black and Tans
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote