Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 00:15   #1

Help How cap off unused seacocks ?

I have two unused seacocks from a toilet after I converted it to a compost toilet.

I wonder what people use to cap off an unused seacock ?

Thanks in advance,

arch
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 03:41   #2

Re: Help How cap off unused seacocks ?

As a temporary fix only remove the tail fitting and screw in a bronze plug on both (supposing their are removable tails) Then remove from the boat on your next scheduled haul out,

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 03:47   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Why not just close them off?

I have 4 that I just closed and one other one that's capped since it's always open.

Here's one of the smaller ones in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 Seacock.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	154490  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 04:41   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The conventional wisdom is the remove the seacock and properly glass in the hole(s) to ensure nothing ever leaks, gets hit by moving stuff or otherwise causes a catastrophe.

Simply capping them seems frankly to be the 'quick and dirty' solution which is never a good idea.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 05:00   #5

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena

Conventional wisdom is to remove and glass over. I did that on a boat I installed a composting head in and then needed the seacock later when I sold it. I replaced the composting head with a conventional one. On the current boat I closed the seacock and capped it. Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 05:07   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I too have closed and capped my head outflow thru hull instead of removing and glassing. I would prefer the latter approach, but it is in a location that makes it nearly impossible to do a proper bevelled job. I may still get around to doing it, but so far (six years and counting) there’s been no problem. I do check it occasionally for leaks though.
Old 21-08-2017, 05:29   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Here is an article with photos from theboatgalley.com on how they did it.

https://theboatgalley.com/filling-in-a-thru-hull/

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 06:26   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Arch007,
Don't know exactly the type of seacock you have in your boat. If you have a threaded end (to insert hose barb) coming off the seacock then it's relatively easy to purchase a solid cap to close it off.
From a safety stand point any unused seacock should have a cap or hose plug added to avoid accidentally flooding the boat.

Agree with CaptSteve to wait for your next haul out, then remove them from the boat.

Cheers.
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 06:43   #9

Mike/Thomm , here's one very good reason off the bat,

1) In reference to sea cocks and other Nearly if not All insurance PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) state clearly that: lack of maintenance leading to failure or failure over time or affected by corrosion (and/or wording along those lines) will NOT be covered.

2)There are many influences that contribute to the demise of the sea-cock; many are made up of dissimilar metals, atmospheric corrosion, electrolysis and influences causing the breakdown of the part. Even "old bronze" sea-cocks can suffer over time from de-zincification where they become so brittle they can just fall off into the bilge-and Murphy's law always applies -it will happen when your not on board,

3) As with number 1 good reason any surveyor worth his salt will not take kindly to dis used sea-cocks left in the vessel for any period of time.

4)More often than not it is a case out of sight out of mind, limited access for even the simple task of operation, let alone any upkeep.

Sorry got carried away but I have seen to many vessels sink due to forgotten sea cocks

Cheers Steve (MIIMS/Lloyd's Maritime)
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 06:52   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Those advocating removing the thru hull and patching the hole are leaving out how difficult this is to do. Just stuffing fiberglass in the hole isn't going to cut it. You're going to have to grind a taper, perhaps a foot or more in diameter and glass it in in layers, then grind it smooth, finish and repaint. Next to this, a proper threaded cap of the appropriate metal looks pretty good and serves the same purpose.

And there's the advantage that when you or the next owner get tired of emptying that litter box, it's easy to reinstall a proper marine bead.
Old 21-08-2017, 07:22   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Mike/Thomm , here's one very good reason off the bat,

1) In reference to sea cocks and other Nearly if not All insurance PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) state clearly that: lack of maintenance leading to failure or failure over time or affected by corrosion (and/or wording along those lines) will NOT be covered.

2)There are many influences that contribute to the demise of the sea-cock; many are made up of dissimilar metals, atmospheric corrosion, electrolysis and influences causing the breakdown of the part. Even "old bronze" sea-cocks can suffer over time from de-zincification where they become so brittle they can just fall off into the bilge-and Murphy's law always applies -it will happen when your not on board,

3) As with number 1 good reason any surveyor worth his salt will not take kindly to dis used sea-cocks left in the vessel for any period of time.

4)More often than not it is a case out of sight out of mind, limited access for even the simple task of operation, let alone any upkeep.

Sorry got carried away but I have seen to many vessels sink due to forgotten sea cocks

Cheers Steve (MIIMS/Lloyd's Maritime)
Thanks, all good points but I only have liability on my good ole cruising boat which costs about $9.00/month for $500,000 worth

I have less than $10,000 in the boat and all it's equipment which includes the new 2012 4 stroke outboard, new 2011 mainsail, autopilot, new solar panel, two inverters, three solar controllers, two bottom jobs, and one topside hull paint job.

I pretty much followed the advice of the guy on Atom Voyages as far as insurance on old boats vs new. (but all my 12 or so boats have been old so it ain't my first rodeo)

I also have a few years back capped off all the old hoses from my thetford head that used to smell until I did that then closed the pictured seacock. Actually that one was probably already closed

I do try and check on all my thruhulls periodically and I'm usually at the boat most days for a while at least
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head seacock.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	154497  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:32   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=pipe+plug

Just close off seacock and replace when needed. Should not corrode if the seacockis closed and water sucked out.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:37   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

A threaded end cap of the same material would be ideal. That is how it is supposed to be done.

But as a temporary measure, if you cannot find that then leave a short length of the original hose on there and use a blank end cap with a barbed male fitting that fits into the hose.

Obviously, leave the valve in the closed position when you are done as an added measure of security against flooding. Remember to exercise that valve on occasion in case you ever want to use that valve again. Even if you dry the inboard side of the valve, the outboard (wet) side may still corrode and possibly seize up.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:51   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Those advocating removing the thru hull and patching the hole are leaving out how difficult this is to do. Just stuffing fiberglass in the hole isn't going to cut it. You're going to have to grind a taper, perhaps a foot or more in diameter and glass it in in layers, then grind it smooth, finish and repaint. Next to this, a proper threaded cap of the appropriate metal looks pretty good and serves the same purpose.

Exactly my situation. I would glass it in if I could do it right, but to do so properly will involve removal of head sink cabinetry and a partial bulkhead. In my estimation a cap is a reasonable compromise. And it does allow for the possibility of going back to a standard marine head (although why anyone would want to do that is beyond me [emoji6]).
Old 21-08-2017, 08:10   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Exactly my situation. I would glass it in if I could do it right, but to do so properly will involve removal of head sink cabinetry and a partial bulkhead. In my estimation a cap is a reasonable compromise. And it does allow for the possibility of going back to a standard marine head (although why anyone would want to do that is beyond me [emoji6]).
It's a simple job. Anyone with even elementary skill can do this job in one day from the EXTERIOR of the boat obviating all the machinations you describe. Even if you wanted to do it from the inside, you'd still have to short haul so there is no value in doing it inside. Much less mess, much more room, better ventilation, etc... are among the reasons for an exterior glass job

Suffice it to say you now know the proper way. Your boat, your choice... Your insurance
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote