Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 23:06   #16

Boat: Compac 16
Re: Help finding the right cruising boat

Fs, I have put much thought into cats. Have now tanken sea trials on three. I like the idea, and the room. The prices seem to rise exponentially as the length increases, many older ones had poor designs. The wharram designs.... I have had my eye on them, for quite some time. I just have a very hard time putting my family's life into a self built boat made by someone else... That being said I could build it myself (once I figure out lofting) .....yet, I don't think it would fit the time frame to build. Conversely, I have yet to lay my eyes on one anywhere close to the Houston, Galveston, Corpus areas.
Huson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 23:11   #17

Interesting.... thank you for your insight. Adelie
Old 06-07-2016, 00:03   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I am really not the person to ask about boats but with the number of people on board for a lengthy period of time it may be a stretch on a small boat. My first thought were a cat but that does not seem to be your choice. I will not recommend a boat but if you want to keep a happy family size does matter.

Second cruising is not camping. Been there done that at a very high level and when you want to get away from someone or have a bit of peace on your own a 100yard walk and tree and walla. Not in cruising unless the person abandons the rest and takes the dink to shore. Some one once asked us how do we manage to get along and we have a 40'boat. The admiral laughed and said she has not idea as when she gets mad at me the farthest she can get away is 30'. think about it. and with teenagers it is even more interesting questions.

Lastly is the cost issue. Like many on this board we do not or try not to spend time in marinas unless it is for hurricane season or winter. I think your costs are way to low. When we started we had a relatively new Jeanneau DS40 and after a couple of trips to the Bahamas and up the USA east coast we knew what we needed to add if we wanted to continue and we spent a lot of money on her.
We continue to record all our costs and I mean all our cost and about 20-30% of our costs go to maintain our boat.
You can see our costs for the past 7 years at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html

it will give you an idea of what it cost 2 of us -- by the way we live on social security only but some days like this past spring when we had major work done to keep within that amount.

Good Luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26   #19
vjm

I think you want something like a Tartan TOCK, but they are more expensive than what you would like to spend. Honestly, any large boat (which is what you need with that many people onboard) for 25k has a high probability of being a money pit. Personally, I would wait a couple years and let the older kids fly the coop, save, and buy something smaller in better condition. But, that sort of messes up the point of the venture if you want the whole family along.

Maybe something like a Hughes 38?
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:58   #20
cruiser

OP,

I hate to be the one to lay some reality on you BUT... you barely have enough money for the most basic survival on a very old tub with six people onboard. What do you plan on doing when something on the old tub breaks down and you need to spend several thousand to fix it? Like a haul out.

$1,500-2000 is just enough for food, clothing and the absolute most basic needs for six people, nothing left for anything else.

Your plan will most likely fail six months after leaving the dock. iMHO.

Water, or rather lack of enough fresh water will become your biggest issue. Do you really think shore service providers are just going to allow you to pull up every couple of days to fill up with "free" water?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:25   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huson View Post
Just looking for a direction to point my compass so to speak.
Have you gone onto Yacthworld.com and even looked for a boat that meets your wants in the price range you have to spend? It doesn't matter what boats people would recommend, all that matters are what boats are available.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:46   #22

Boat: Ericson 35-2

+1 on not limiting yourself to a particular model that "fits you best". A boat that is big enough AND cheap enough AND not a money pit is going to be hard to find already, within you parameters. If you insist on it also being a shallow draft version of So-And-So 40, 1986 vintage, there is every chance that the one you end up with is going to be a money pit.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41   #23

Thank you all for your replies. Please understand that for us budget verses savings are two totally different things. We have roughly $60,000 liquid savings over and above the money allotted for the boat. We are a very interesting family, and have done well on small amounts for years, which has allowed us to own all our assets outright. So if crap really hit the fan, we would be able to sell business property, vehicles, boats... etc. We are ok if the kids(and us) only enjoy it for 6 months....or 6 weeks. Again, "as long as it is fun." It is hard to experience new things with out risk, with risk there is the possibility of failure. We are good with that..... with the exception of loss of life, thus this board. Safe quality tub, fits a family, and performs lets say on the plus side of 50%. Shallow draft a + but not a must. Center cockpit for the cabin in the stern... and a little privacy a + also. I believe I will have to settle for a whee if we opt for a center cockpit. I have read/been told over and over again that 36 or less tend to have the greatest success rate for cruisers. Yes, I practically live on yachtworld, sailboat listings, and boat trader. 41oi was the boat I was thinking about, gemini 30, Hans Christian in various sizes, found a few Tanyana's for crazy affordable, Pearson was on the list. wondering if something smaller existed. (And it might not) the TOCK is interesting, had looked at many tartans but never came across a TOCK. Also, many of the others mentioned, were b4 my time and such small runs you don't hear much about them. Then there is the Cal 40, it seems like it would fit, thousands available, but price might be hard to find one. Time will tell. As far as money pits go, that seems to be the chance you take. Although, I would rather buy something 25k with the understanding there is work to be done; than 45k+ and get ripped off. Even with good surveys I have read/ heard countless accounts of people getting taken in the 40-60k range. Remember, I do all my own work. My wife sews very well, and has assured me she could construct any canvas needs we have. Again, thank you all for your inputs, and responses.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:54   #24

Boat: hydrostream

Navy 44 is an interesting boat..
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06   #25

Well said Red. I like the thought process, i.e. find many that may fit, then find the deal amongst those. I think we could do just that. While, we have parameters (which specifics help you not to get strung up when posting on forums :-) yet we are flexible, and open to new ideas. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07   #26

Boat: Beneteau

You've already done too much reading. Seems to me you are an intelligent person that's grabbed onto a style of cruising and are now ready to build your cruise around that ideal.

Just saying that the books you've read would do as much to sell my boat and buy an rv.

Talk to sensible cruisers of all sorts and your ideals will evolve.

Writers are like preachers and should be taken with a grain of salt.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huson View Post
T Although, I would rather buy something 25k with the understanding there is work to be done; than 45k+ and get ripped off. Even with good surveys I have read/ heard countless accounts of people getting taken in the 40-60k range.
25k with "work needed" and 45k "ready to go" are more likely to be the same really. The only difference is that one has no electronics etc. and old sails and the other has working older electronics and "newer" sails.

In your price range all boats are going to have had many owners to screw up the boat. But at the bottom of the price the current owner gave up!

BTW - everyone says this but I doubt people believe it, boats take a LOT more work, time, and money to fix and maintain that you would think. Even owners under estimate the work, time, and money of any project they do even though they have been there and should know better.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:10   #28

We sailed with our three kids when they were young off and on for ten years, and then with two of them for another five years. Had a 42 foot westsail center cockpit ketch. Went all over the world just about. Enough room to keep the kids separate and the adults separate from the kids. The center cockpit,imho, is way safer for young kids. Would say a 40 footer is about the minimum for those not wanting to truly rough it. Otoh, met a couple with two kids on a cal 20 sailing the pacific back in the 80s.

Basically, bigger is better when it comes to a family sailing all over creation.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:22   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

A morgan OI 41 is hard to beat and will give you the room you need. There are no boats with a tiller at above 35' and in a center. In fact in a 35 aft cockpit they are rare and if you've ever sailed one for more than an hour you'd understand why without a pilot or windvane steering few or made.

You are not far from the 3rd largest concentration of boats in the US right here in Kemah. Just come down and have a look.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:42   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

A Hunter 37c would hit most of your wants.
Cutter rig 4 foot shoal to 5 foot deep draft.
Can be had at your price.
Two sleeping cabins plus main area gets 7 berths.
You could possibly add another quarter berth on starboard by taking out the cockpit locker to get another berth or more usable storage.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising