Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 14:35   #1

Hello! (New Member Introduction)

Hello Everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this forum and signed up. I'm posting this here, because I think I'm a sailor. Or rather, going to be. I'm originally from Minnesota, where boating was a huge part of my life. I now live in Arizona, and am longing to get back out on the water. I think for this chapter of my boating life I'm going to turn to sailing. I have zero prior sailing experience and know nothing. All I've got going so far is some basic skills and knowledge acquired while becoming an eagle scout, a good amount of time, and serious ambition! I work as an airline pilot and have numerous days off each month with which to learn to sail and/or build a boat. I think long term, my greatest dream is to use my creativity and skills as a carpenter's son to build my own wooden sailboat. I'm fine with starting small, so the concept of microcruising is of great interest. For now, I don't want anything I can't pull behind my Kia Soul! I'm sure I'll be asking LOTS of questions around here, and hopefully make some friends. Incidentally, if you live in the Phoenix area and have any interest in assisting me with a boat, lessons, etc., please contact me. I am as eager to make sailing friends as I am to sail!

So glad to be here,

Josh
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 14:50   #2

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru
Re: Hello! (New Member Introduction)

Welcome aboard. IMHO, i think you will be at a great advantage learning to sail. You already know how to get a good sail shape. After all, sails are non-rigid airfoils. look for the stall on the leading edge and keep the sails just before the point that they stall. Water is a fluid just like air; you'll find that your boat will yaw just like an aircraft. Additionally, many of the habits you developed as a pilot will aid in sailing. Personally, had some VFR single engine training, and took to sailing like a plant takes to rain. I drew some very direct connections. Have fun, I think you are better prepared than you know.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Josh!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:45   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome Josh! The one advantage of a boat over a plane is that if the engine fails, you can still get back to town.
Old 11-06-2012, 14:22   #5

Well, I've made some headway. I decided I had better do some research first, in order to make informed decisions. I found an establishment about 30 minutes from my house on the east side of Lake Pleasant which offers two different certified sailing courses on 25-30' boats, offers charters with a healthy student discount, especially on weekdays, and sells boats! I figure I should start by taking both courses ($375 each) and become knowledgeable first. I'm planning to sign up for the first course soon. I figure I'll take the courses, then maybe spend some time renting their boats until I have basic experience and confidence. Once I know a little, and what to look for in a boat, then I can consider buying something. I wouldn't mind having something in the 25-30' range in a slip somewhere. Although Lake Pleasant is close, I'm thinking Havasu might be better in the long run depending on pricing. That's way down the road though. For now,,, I'm off to my class, and very excited!

Here's my question for the day : Where online, or what books would be of good assistance besides the class material for studying? I'd like to start reading something and walk into the first day of class with more then ambition...

Thanks!

Josh
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction, member