Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-10-2008, 19:32   #1

Boat: Custom 47' sloop
Hella fans alternative

We are big believers in fans to keep the air moving around in the boat. We have lived aboard for 14 years and find fans are a must in both summer and winter, summer to keep things cool and winter to stop mold and mildew during our wet Pacific Northwest winters.

We have tried most brands and used to have several of the Hella units, they work well but are unfortunately expensive (typical boat stuff if you want it to work!) About 5 years ago we found a local product that works great, their website is Chimeron Creations, 12 & 24 Volt Marine Fans if you want to check them out, they will do mail order to anywhere.

We have 7 of their small fans inside the boat and 2 large ones out in the cockpit. The fans in the boat run 24/7, they are very quiet, draw very little electricity, and can be adjusted to any speed by the rheostat. IMHO they are a lot better looking than the Hella units and they cost about half as much.

They last about 3 to 4 years running 24/7 before they wear out which is about the same or better than our experience with Hellas. However the great thing is that the fan unit is easily replaceable in about 10 minutes with a readily available 12 volt computer fan that you can get most anywhere at a cost of less than $20! The unit is made so that a piece of the frame comes off the back with 2 screws and the fan just slides out of the wood enclosure. Slide in the new fan, connect 2 wires and you're done.

Great product IMHO. FTR, I have no connection with this company.

zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 22:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
These are $29 and we have had 2 of them on the boat since July 2007. They are cheap and blow a ton of air.

They operate on 110v, external 12v and internal rechargeable battery. I hard wired the external 12v in and they charge up when the boat batteries are on and revert to internal 12v when we shut down. They last about 1 1/2 hours on the internall battery on the high setting.

I don't know how long they will last but at $29 bucks if I can get 2 years i am happy. Pivoting Rechargeable 10" Smart Power Fan: Appliances

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 03:41   #3

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
I got a fan at Walmart just like it for $13 that just runs on 12-volts, no battery, using a little transformer. I directly wired it into our boat system. Like you say, the price is right so what the heck!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 05:21   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Another vote for Wal-Mart fans. Bought four of them on sale for $9 a piece. Cut off the transfomer and wired for 12V. Been working great for over a year.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 05:27   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You want some air movement? Get a wind scoop, and fix it so you can alternate it's position on the same hatch. There will be lots of air getting pushed out of the boat.....i2f
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: