Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 06:29   #1

Boat: pearson invicta mk2
Headed Up the Chesapeake Bay

I will be leaving Ga in a couple of months...I've grown tired of getting kicked out of my home and having to rent a dirt dwelling w/ my boat $!! I'm headed up to the Chesapeake bay, Mobjack bay to be exact. ICW and some offshore.
Any advice from those who have recently made the trip. I have a sailor/friend of mine offer to crew, but it's been awhile since he's made the trip up the ditch. He did the ICW & some offshore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance, David
nico105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 07:05   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
David, My advice would be to get a guide for the ICW, My preference is Dozier's Waterway Guide, since I work for them but have been a user for decades before that, and drop over to our web site for the most current conditions and info for the ICW. A lot will depend on your boats draft and mast height as well as weather along the route depending on the time of year you make the move. Georgia especially has lots of problem areas as far as shoaling, etc. A good set of current charts is also a must. We recently made the trip from South Carolina to the Chesapeake, October '09, and some areas of the waterway have changed since we came up. Figure an average of 50 miles a day for inside runs and even inside expect some weather delays. Bridge openings and delays are also a concern since some bridges are under construction and the schedules limited and even channel closures during certain months. We usually do a combination of inside and outside runs but you need to have up-to-date information of the status of inlets, since not all of them are navigable. Let me know if I can help you with any specifics. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 07:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Thw ICW is very pleasant and casual with any draft under 6'. If you elect to travel offshore, I'd suggest you take the inlet at Beaufort, NC and remain inside from there to the Chesapeake to cut off the distance around Hatteras and enjoy some sailing in the inland sounds. If you plan to anchor out often, then "Skipper Bob's" book excels. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 07:37   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Ditto on Doziers guide and charts. Try the Dismal Swamp route if it is open. Some free dockage in Elizabeth City and along the canal. Very pretty. Outer banks also. lf you are in a hurry fix that issue first and than take your time . lT is a great ride.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 07:41   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Thw ICW is very pleasant and casual with any draft under 6'. If you elect to travel offshore, I'd suggest you take the inlet at Beaufort, NC and remain inside from there to the Chesapeake to cut off the distance around Hatteras and enjoy some sailing in the inland sounds. If you plan to anchor out often, then "Skipper Bob's" book excels. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
I don't know why I forgot the Skipper Bob Books and updates for Skipper Bob can be found at Skipper Bob WG>

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay