Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 06:06   #1

Head Sail & Main Sail

Good morning all,

I inherited some sailing and nautical equipment from my grandfather when he passed away and I need some help determining it's worth.

I am not a sailor by any means, he pretty much left me a house full of junk to get rid off (I'm sure a few of you have been there!). But after getting rid of all the trash I found that he left a head sail and a main sail for a sailboat. He bought them about two years ago and when I unfolded them they looked in really good shape.

They measure about 40 feet high by 30 feet wide (not exact measurements) and the smaller sail measures 35 feet high by around 28 feet wide.

Could anyone tell me what used sails might be worth, also any other pertinent information you think I might need to know or find out? I know absolutely nothing about sailing or it's equpment.

I really appreciate the help. Thank you

-Jon
jonw1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 06:59   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Head Sail & Main sail question

Welcome Aboard CF and enjoy

Sounds more like 2 genny's (jibs) or possible spinnakers.
Do the sails have slides or hanks on them?
Are they made out of real light cloth.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 07:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Head Sail & Main sail question

Sails are cut for the boat and there are a nearly an infinite number of sizes which limits the number of boats your sails will fit.

Value depends on the condition, construction and age and the demand for that particular size used sail. These factors limit the value to where they sell for much much less than they cost to make.

And of course value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for the sails and not necessarily what someone tells you it is worth. You have a lot of variables there so determining value is going to be very difficult.

Some really old and worn out sails are only good for paint tarps or scrap for making duffel bags.

Do a Google search for how sails are measured so a potential buyer knows what you have. Include pictures.

You can take them in to a sail maker and they can give you a very rough idea. There are also nautical flea markets and Craigslist.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:33   #4

Re: Head Sail & Main Sail

Thank you both. The sales have slides and they are made of a very heavy material.

I am going to do my best to get a fair value for them. Craigslist is definitely getting utilized.

If you have any more infor or advice I am all ears.

-Jon
jonw1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:40   #5

If they are in like new condition they could be worth several thousand dollars. If not so new several hundred.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 09:10   #6

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

You need to find out what boat he got them for, that will make them a hell of alot easier to sell. A NEW suite of sails for most average sailboats will cost $5000+ so it's deff' worth researching. Also, obviously, make sure you have good measurements for them and take a few pictures while you have them out. A few of the whole sail and then some closeups of any relavent fixings. Should be alot easier to answer questions from buyers then.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41   #7

Boat: IP 31' sloop

what state are you located. Might be interested.skipperr100
skipperr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You might also look into the companies that buy and sell used sails. I've dealt with Atlantic Sail Traders in Sarasota FL and found them to be honest and reliable. You might try calling them. They would have you ship the sails to them for appraisal and if they want them they will offer you a price. To some extent it depends on weather you are trying to get top dollar or just unload them for a reasonable price. Although I mention Atlantic that's simply because I have personal experience with them. There are other similar companies and perhaps one is in your area.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 19:04   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies is a good place to start. Go to their site and with a little bit of searching you'll find the proper way to measure the sails and how to determine their condition. If you are anywhere near where they are you can take them in and they'll sell them on consignment.
They are great people to deal with and do a great deal of business around the world.
kind regards,

Tags
head, sail